Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing in hot weather

Options
  • 18-07-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

All the talk of fly fishing so think il head to bohernabreena reservoir today.
    Any suggestions on flies today considering there's not a cloud in the sky.
    I usually go for lures like fritz or gold head minkie. Would be fishing deep. But what about dry fly?
    What are my chances

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

Chances are bad very bad on bright days you could get aa rise to a dry fly either late in the evening or at the break of dawn for an couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I was getting a few rises to a white blob that I used some gink on to keep it up in the water, on the tolka Thursday gone!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

In years gone by I've had some success, at bohernabreena, on very bright days using a "Bobby" and a lead core sinking line. I only had success with these and the stocked rainbows.

I think there was controversy around the use of these lures as some considered their use to not be "flyfishing"!? I only ever bothered on bright hot days when the surface was dead... given the usual weather in Ireland that meant very rarely :)

Here's an nice instruction on their use.
    http://www.bishfish.co.nz/webbooks/smttrout/boobyfly.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fishook

i found the fishing bad this year, river low.

might try sea fishing for the rest of it

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

i thought it was great! my pb fish 3 lb+ caught 6 brownies all 1 lb+ this year and i haven't even fished much!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 recalled

fishook wrote: »
    i found the fishing bad this year, river low.

might try sea fishing for the rest of it

I have to agree. The rivers here were very low with very floor catches of Brown Trout. I switched to shore fishing to fill the gap.

Advertisement