Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NBA DRAFT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

Far too early for a 2014 draft thread..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Not really. NBA teams are making adjustments now, just for a shot a getting one of these guys. Some would seriously consider sacrificing this season for that privilege. Wiggins is rated as the best draft prospect since Lebron James and the others on this top 5 are not far off his level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'd allow this if I thought it would progress beyond something other then DublinredDevil talking to himself. I'll reopen it once the college season starts up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Reopened as the season has begun. Both Wiggins and Parker have looked awesome so far from what I've seen!

The two big guns went head to head recently,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Parker has looked far better than Wiggins to this point, though it's not as if the latter has looked bad, to be fair. Obviousy it's still very early, but I think Parker will go first.

Randle has also been an absolute beast and can see him being a superstar too. Size, strength, athleticism, skilled and high IQ. He'll also go ahead of Wiggins in my opinion.

Wiggins is extremely quick and can jump, but his skills are unrefined. Very talented and the NBA should suit his game more but he still has a ways to go. I'd take the other two ahead of him easily at this point.

Duke are on ESPN again tonight for anyone that wants to see Parker play (they were on last night also). Keep an eye out for Rodney Hood too who is another very talented SF who plays for Duke. He could easily be a lottery pick and a very good player in the league when all is said and done.

Here is Skip and Stephen A's take on the big 3

Holly sh1t, Talk about putting your name back on the Draft class.

Marcus Smart absolute dominated Memphis, scoring a career high 39 points,

Including this play

(Better game highlights to come)

A Question teams have to ask themselves. Do you take the best player in the class regardless of team needs. Or do you Draft for a position. If teams are looking for a Center, This is a bad class for big men, One however, stand out above all others

Joel Embiid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I'd allow this if I thought it would progress beyond something other then DublinredDevil talking to himself.

Can't help put think this is still going to be the case for another while!

• Advertisement

How about some of you actually contribute to the conversation then. It's not that I'm posting too much. It's that nobody else is bothered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

People aren't posting because the draft is over 6 months away. Conference play has barely started, so you can't read anything into performances for another month or two! Also, putting them in draft order is just ridiculous when the draft order isn't set.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I have to say I enjoy the videos to be honest. I'm just not really knowledgeable enough on college basketball to contribute much to the thread.

kmart6 wrote: »
    People aren't posting because the draft is over 6 months away. Conference play has barely started, so you can't read anything into performances for another month or two! Also, putting them in draft order is just ridiculous when the draft order isn't set.

What are you talking about. Websites, journalists and bloggers post new mock drafts every day online.
    kmart6 wrote: »
    putting them in draft order is just ridiculous when the draft order isn't set
    That's the whole point of it. People predict, speculate, discuss, judge as games are played and draft stocks rise and fall. The fun is in the twists and turns of the build up on their path to the NBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

A Question teams have to ask themselves. Do you take the best player in the class regardless of team needs. Or do you Draft for a position. If teams are looking for a Center, This is a bad class for big men, One however, stand out above all others

Joel Embiid

This year above all others, you draft the most talented guy, not the guy you think you need. Darko Milicic was selected ahead of Melo, D.Wade, Bosh, David West, because the pistons thought they needed a centre. The Blazers taking Oden, who infairness was a great prospect, should never have gone ahead of Durant, because Portland wanted a dominant centre. Parker, Wiggins, Smart, Randle etc all have to go before Embiid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

You always draft the best guy. Look at the Cavs. They drafted according to their needs and Bennett is a bust. They would be much better off with Oladipo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

buyer95 wrote: »
    This year above all others, you draft the most talented guy, not the guy you think you need. Darko Milicic was selected ahead of Melo, D.Wade, Bosh, David West, because the pistons thought they needed a centre. The Blazers taking Oden, who infairness was a great prospect, should never have gone ahead of Durant, because Portland wanted a dominant centre. Parker, Wiggins, Smart, Randle etc all have to go before Embiid.
    Ahh to be fair durant has ended up better than people thought and I think idem would have need an unbelievable player I it was not for the injuries

Harsh. Oden was the consencus number one pick, I'm not sure any team in the entire league would have taken Durant ahead of Oden. Oden would have been dominant had it not been for the injuries.

That said, I think Embiid, rightly or wrongly, has a good chance to go top 3. Certainly a great chance of being top 4. He has poor hands which will somewhat limit his potential, but everything else is remarkably promising given how long he's been playing.

All said and done, Exum could end up being the best of the class (though I have Parker number 1 on my board)!

NufcNavan wrote: »
    You always draft the best guy. Look at the Cavs. They drafted according to their needs and Bennett is a bust. They would be much better off with Oladipo.

Yes. In hindsight The Cavs probably should have went with Oladipo. If they were only ever going to draft for the position the should have taken Nerlens Noel.

moneyman wrote: »
    Harsh. Oden was the consencus number one pick, I'm not sure any team in the entire league would have taken Durant ahead of Oden. Oden would have been dominant had it not been for the injuries.

That said, I think Embiid, rightly or wrongly, has a good chance to go top 3. Certainly a great chance of being top 4. He has poor hands which will somewhat limit his potential, but everything else is remarkably promising given how long he's been playing.

All said and done, Exum could end up being the best of the class (though I have Parker number 1 on my board)!

Parker and Wiggins are both outstanding prospects. Right now, I feel Parker is the most complete player in the class. He looks more NBA ready. where as Wiggins game looks more a a work in progress.

After the top 2. The next 5 could go in any order depending on the team needs of the teams selecting.
    Randel, Embid, Exum, Smart and Gordon. They are all fantastic prospects, All of them have superstar potential.

• Advertisement

Parker and Wiggins are both outstanding prospects. Right now, I feel Parker is the most complete player in the class. He looks more NBA ready. where as Wiggins game looks more a a work in progress.

After the top 2. The next 5 could go in any order depending on the team needs of the teams selecting.
    Randel, Embid, Exum, Smart and Gordon. They are all fantastic prospects, All of them have superstar potential.

I think I just agreed with one of your posts. Maybe I need to go lie down... :pac:

The more you look at the this class the more you realize how strong it really is. It's not just the first 2 or 3. There is quality right past the top 10. NBA teams who have no playoff hopes should be tanking the hell out of this season.

Think how many NBA teams could do with a SG like Zach LaVine.

Aaron Gordon is have a serious freshman season so far, His Arizona team are undefeated. He is no doubt the rising star so far and will be moving up the boards of every team in the NBA. I'd say top 5 right now.

Aaron Gordon is have a serious freshman season so far, His Arizona team are undefeated. He is no doubt the rising star so far and will be moving up the boards of every team in the NBA. I'd say top 5 right now.

I don't know about top 5 as you could easily have Parker, Wiggins, Randle, Embiid, Smart and Exum ahead of him, but he could theoretically sneak into that top 5. My problem with Gordon is that I don't know if he has star potential. Has he got the size for PF? I'm not sure (probably does, but it's a niggling worry). That said he's very athletic, great defender, great motor and he does have some skills. They're just not refined yet.

moneyman wrote: »
    I don't know about top 5 as you could easily have Parker, Wiggins, Randle, Embiid, Smart and Exum ahead of him, but he could theoretically sneak into that top 5. My problem with Gordon is that I don't know if he has star potential. Has he got the size for PF? I'm not sure (probably does, but it's a niggling worry). That said he's very athletic, great defender, great motor and he does have some skills. They're just not refined yet.

I love watching him. He reminds me of a Blake Griffin. He's a great athlete. His work rate is insane, The amount of put backs / offensive rebounds he gets is unreal.

All the rage lately is about the big man. Joel Embiid is dominating at both ends of the floor. Outshining team mate Andrew Wiggins. From blocked shots and rebounds at the defensive end to low post movement and finishing at the rim on offence

Vs Iowa

Vs Kansas

Projected late first rounder P.J. Hairston who was suspended by the NCAA for violating rules, has signed with Mavericks D-League affiliate Texas Legends. In his sophmore season he led North Carolina in scoring last season, but he was arrested multiple times last summer for drug possesion. Roy Williams has decided he is more trouble than he is worth and has kicked him off the roster. This is surprising seeing how he averaged 18 points a game in his last 13 games as a Tar Heal last season, and also the fact U.N.C are a terrible 3 point shooting team, and Hairston gives you that. The guy is obviously talented, and plans to enter the 2014 draft, I hope he can get himself together.

Projected late first rounder P.J. Hairston who was suspended by the NCAA for violating rules, has signed with Mavericks D-League affiliate Texas Legends. In his sophmore season he led North Carolina in scoring last season, but he was arrested multiple times last summer for drug possesion. Roy Williams has decided he is more trouble than he is worth and has kicked him off the roster. This is surprising seeing how he averaged 18 points a game in his last 13 games as a Tar Heal last season, and also the fact U.N.C are a terrible 3 point shooting team, and Hairston gives you that. The guy is obviously talented, and plans to enter the 2014 draft, I hope he can get himself together.
    Aye Had a look at this story during the week. Frankly I have zero sympathy for him. If he is stupid enough to blow this one in a lifetime opportunity, he doesn't deserve to play in the NBA. Hairston has talent but it's worth nothing if intangibles aren't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just having a browse through the aul standings cause as a laker fan Ive nothing else to do, its quiet annoying when were doing rubbish but have probably no chance off a top five pick because the east is so terrible :mad:

• Advertisement

Aye Had a look at this story during the week. Frankly I have zero sympathy for him. If he is stupid enough to blow this one in a lifetime opportunity, he doesn't deserve to play in the NBA. Hairston has talent but it's worth nothing if intangibles aren't there.

Hairston dropped 40 points last night for Texas Legends in only his second D-League game, could make an excellent late first round, early second round pick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement