Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NBA DRAFT

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

March Madness is fast approaching. The Tournament can have a big impact on the Draft. An early exit can really hurt a players draft stock. A successful tournament performance can really put a player on the map.

Most people agree the 1st pick is a 3 horse race, Parker, Embiid or Wiggins.
    For me Parker has to go first the Bucks, and the others will follow to 76ers 2nd and Magic 3rd, in whatever order.

The Lakers are in line for the 4th pick. I think they take Dante Exum.

5th pick to Boston. Think they go with PF Julius Randle. Personally I think Arron Gordon will be the better play

6th pick to Utah. Arron Gordon would be a great pick up for them

7th pick to Denver (thanks to New York) Think they go for James Young. Completely underrated

8th pick to The Cavs. Rodney Hood looks the best fit left on the board

9th pick to Detroit. Noah Vonleh. Great fall for The Pistons

10th pick to Pelicans. Dario Saric. Again in looking of this draft I've left Marcus smart out of the top 10. It's the order of picks that knocks him down. The teams that might draft a PG are too high on the board to use their pick on Smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Excellent read on how difficult it is to hit on a player in the second round of the NBA Draft. Too long to copy and paste as it would drive mobile users mad scrolling up and down the thread, but worth clicking and having a read. Sample included below:

http://nba.si.com/2014/02/26/all-gold-strike-team-second-round-picks-marc-gasol-paul-millsap/
    Second-round picks, by definition, have always been the NBA’s bridesmaid, and never the bride. Look no further than this year’s All-Star Game, where a whopping six No. 1 overall picks (LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin, John Wall, Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis) dominated the headlines and highlights, while Paul Millsap was the only second-round selection to compete in the game.

The bridesmaids were stuck watching Irving took home All-Star Game MVP honors, Griffin threaten the All-Star Game’s scoring record with 38 points, and Wall winning the Slam Dunk Contest, but they would have their moment to shine just a few days later. Last week’s trade deadline saw a total of zero first-round picks exchange hands, even though a slew of deals were consummated and a good chunk of the league’s teams have been effectively eliminated from playoff contention. That left any asset-seeking architect of a rebuilding program to scrounge up the next best thing: second-round picks.

Nobody rolled up his khakis and dug into the muck quite like Sixers GM Sam Hinkie, who managed to acquire six second-round picks by participating in deals with the Clippers, Pacers, Cavaliers, and a three-team deal with the Nuggets and Wizards. Of course, those picks were simply added to a stockpile of draft considerations that Hinkie began compiling as soon as he took over in Philadelphia last summer.

We all know the example of Manu Ginobili — three-time champion, two-time All-Star, future Hall of Famer — who was miraculously plucked by the Spurs with the No. 57 pick in the 1999 draft, but we also know that he is clearly the exception and not the rule when it comes to second-round pick performance. What exactly are the odds facing Hinkie and his colleagues when it comes to finding contributors in the second round? And who exactly, besides Ginobili, has emerged as second-round gold strikes in recent years? Let’s take a look.

(All statistics are through Feb. 25.)

Surveying Second-Round Picks
    The Point Forward analyzed the 300 second-round picks made between 2004 and 2013, charting players by asking the following questions:

Did they succeed in making the NBA?
    How many minutes did they log and how many years of experience did they accrue?
    What were their average Efficiency Rating (PER) during their NBA career and how many total Win Shares did they accumulate along the way?
    The survey confirmed many of the widely-held notions of how difficult it is to hit pay dirt in the second round, while also quantifying how difficult it is to find talent there. The following are five takeaways from this examination:

1. The washout rate is very high. Many second-round picks never actually realize their dreams of competing in an NBA game. In fact, nearly one-third of the second-round picks made in the last 10 years (98 out of 300) have not played in the NBA.

Even making it to Year Two can prove difficult. Of the 270 second-round picks taken from 2004 to 2012 — in other words, the guys in our 300-player sample who could have played for at least two years — only 141 have two or more years of experience. Roughly speaking, that means a player selected in the 2014 second round can be expected to have just slightly better than a 50/50 shot of playing two NBA seasons, whether they happen immediately upon selection or at some point down the line.

Of those who do find a way to stick, many move on before they can get truly comfortable (or cash in with a new contract). The average career length of all second-round pick taken from 2004 to 2008 — including those who never made the league — was 2.7 years. That number rose to 3.8 years among second-round picks who appeared in at least one NBA game, a figure that’s still below the NBA’s overall average career length of 4.8 years.

Consider this for context: an NBA player who averages 25 minutes a night and appears in 70 games will log roughly 1,750 minutes over the course of a season. Of the 180 second-round picks taken between 2004 and 2009, only 55 have played at least 1,750 minutes over their entire careers. In other words, less than one-in-three second-round picks over a six-year period have managed to hang on for what we would consider a single season’s worth of decent playing time.

Paully D wrote: »
    Excellent read on how difficult it is to hit on a player in the second round of the NBA Draft. Too long to copy and paste as it would drive mobile users mad scrolling up and down the thread, but worth clicking and having a read. Sample included below:

http://nba.si.com/2014/02/26/all-gold-strike-team-second-round-picks-marc-gasol-paul-millsap/
    It's true, Their isn't much success past the 1st round of the NBA Draft. But that's because you're dealing with a smaller pool of talent than the NFL for example. Allot more kids play football, than play basketball from a young age.

Basketball is also a much more skilled and athletic sport at the same time. Very few people are going to be 6ft5 or more, Have quickness, ball skill, athleticism, scoring ability, the ability to work as a team etc.

you don't need to very skilled to be an OL or DL in the NFL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I don't follow college hoops that much so forgive my ignorance here. All I was reading last off season was how Andrew Wiggins was basically the second coming. What issues in his game have come to light this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Armando Slow Suspicion

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I don't follow college hoops that much so forgive my ignorance here. All I was reading last off season was how Andrew Wiggins was basically the second coming. What issues in his game have come to light this year.

wiggins is a serious athlete not lebron james mind but a serious athlete none the less he's got a decent if inconsistent offensive game but he's relatively raw still. hes a player that would probably be better off spending another year in college but he wont hes a boom or bust player.

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »

Wiggins has been doing well. It was always going to be difficult for him to carry the weight of expectation placed on his shoulders. No he hasn't been the 2nd coming, at least not yet. Ultimately I think he would have been better off without the one and done rule, It would have been better for him to go directly into the NBA last year. I believe he will be a great NBA player, He is not as polished a player as Parker is right now but his ceiling is endless.

He doesn't fall outside the to 3 regardless of how he plays the rest of this season. GMs will see the potential in his game and look at where they can take his game, not necessarily where it is right now

wiggins is a serious athlete not lebron james mind but a serious athlete none the less he's got a decent if inconsistent offensive game but he's relatively raw still. hes a player that would probably be better off spending another year in college but he wont hes a boom or bust player.
    Another year in college will do him no good. He needs to get into an NBA setting as soon as possible. Learn by playing with his team mates and against the best there is. Learn from professional coaches and veteran players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Wiggins has been doing well. It was always going to be difficult for him to carry the weight of expectation placed on his shoulders. No he hasn't been the 2nd coming, at least not yet. Ultimately I think he would have been better off without the one and done rule, It would have been better for him to go directly into the NBA last year. I believe he will be a great NBA player, He is not as polished a player as Parker is right now but his ceiling is endless.

He doesn't fall outside the to 3 regardless of how he plays the rest of this season. GMs will see the potential in his game and look at where they can take his game, not necessarily where it is right now
    Really looking forward to the draft, mostly since all I can hope for this season is winning it :o
    I wouldnt be surprised to see Wiggins go one, basically think Bucks wont pick him or Parker if they win it, but I could be wrong.
    Then again it could be my extreme disliking off the Bucks making me hope Wiggins wont go there :o:o

exum is the big mystery in this draft could end up a hall of famer and multiple chap or could end up a bust out of the league in a few years really interesting guy

exum is the big mystery in this draft could end up a hall of famer and multiple chap or could end up a bust out of the league in a few years really interesting guy

Because he has been in Australia up until this point, Its difficult to judge how well he might play when he comes up against NBA opposition. Exum arrived in America this month and he plans to stay up until the Draft. He has signed with Kobe Bryant's agent Rob Pelinka. And he has attend at least one Lakers game.

It may very will be The Lakers who pick him. But he is in the states trying to increase his profile and getting team to know what hes about

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    Really looking forward to the draft, mostly since all I can hope for this season is winning it :o
    I wouldnt be surprised to see Wiggins go one, basically think Bucks wont pick him or Parker if they win it, but I could be wrong.
    Then again it could be my extreme disliking off the Bucks making me hope Wiggins wont go there :o:o

What is your team?

I see you're location is down as Sydney. What is the feeling about Exum in Australia?

What is your team?

I see you're location is down as Sydney. What is the feeling about Exum in Australia?
    Lakers dude all the way back when Chris Mihm was my favourite player :o, I was young dont judge, thought he was the white Shaq when he signed.

Honestly could be cause Im only over there for 6 months at a time, but I have brought him up a few times and hes not exactly nationwide known. They rather talk about the footie. Roosters and Tigers and all that shenanigans

Like people who go watch the Kings play would generally all know who he is, but then again I go to games with basketball fans

I think we may have seen a power move made tonight as Marcus Smart's OKS Cowboys take out Wiggins/Embiid's Kansas City Jayhawks in Oklahoma tonight

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10540291

Smart has been playing very well since his return from suspension. His stock will no doubt be on the rise now after taking a fall over the incident and some poor performances.

Wichita State go to 31 - 0 with a win over Missouri State last night.

Their success has to be increasing the draft stock of star player Cleanthony Early

Sean Deveney of the Sporting News, suggests that there's talk Exum may attempt to force his way to the Los Angeles Lakers. Some general managers are worried the young point guard might be angling to join Kobe Bryant in Los Angeles.

Deveney writes:
    Would Exum go so far as to try to angle his way onto the Lakers, who currently have the fifth-worst record in the NBA? That’s the concern among some front-office executives around the league.

Deveney's quotes one general manager:

When you hear some of what he says, it does make you wonder how the process is going to go as far as workouts and that sort of thing. We have seen this story before, of course. I am not sure a player can have that kind of control, though.

It's easy to see why some might think Exum has eyes for the Lakers, but until he or his camp comes out and says that, I'll stick to the script. The Kings need a dynamic scorer and playmaker on the perimeter. Exum is one of the best in the draft at creating for himself and teammates off the dribble.

Sean Deveney of the Sporting News, suggests that there's talk Exum may attempt to force his way to the Los Angeles Lakers. Some general managers are worried the young point guard might be angling to join Kobe Bryant in Los Angeles.

Deveney writes:
    Would Exum go so far as to try to angle his way onto the Lakers, who currently have the fifth-worst record in the NBA? That’s the concern among some front-office executives around the league.

Deveney's quotes one general manager:

When you hear some of what he says, it does make you wonder how the process is going to go as far as workouts and that sort of thing. We have seen this story before, of course. I am not sure a player can have that kind of control, though.

It's easy to see why some might think Exum has eyes for the Lakers, but until he or his camp comes out and says that, I'll stick to the script. The Kings need a dynamic scorer and playmaker on the perimeter. Exum is one of the best in the draft at creating for himself and teammates off the dribble.

i ****ing hate this i think the league should fine/suspend players for doing this

Right now.
    1. Jabari Parker - Bucks
    2. Joel Embiid - 76ers
    3. Andrew Wiggins - Magic
    4. Arron Gordon - Celtics
    5. Julius Randle - Nuggets* from Knicks
    6. Dante Exum - Lakers
    7. Marcus Smart - Kings
    8. Noah Vonleh - Jazz
    9. James Young - 76ers* From Pelicans
    10. Rodney Hood

i ****ing hate this i think the league should fine/suspend players for doing this

If true. Things like this have been donebefore Steve Francis refused to play for the Grizz when they drafted him. Kobe Bryant and his agent also forced a pre selection trade on draft night as he wanted to play for the Lakers, Not Charlotte

If true. Things like this have been donebefore Steve Francis refused to play for the Grizz when they drafted him. Kobe Bryant and his agent also forced a pre selection trade on draft night as he wanted to play for the Lakers, Not Charlotte

i know it has and the kobe thing has always pissed me off. its hard enough to be successful as a small market team without being hamstrung i the draft as well

i know it has and the kobe thing has always pissed me off. its hard enough to be successful as a small market team without being hamstrung i the draft as well

And Exum has signed with the same Agency as Bryant. The same guys that orchestrated that move back when Kobe was drafted. Who's to say they wouldn't do something similar now

• Advertisement

Hopefully he does :pac: I dont think they will need to, they should be bad enough to get him in the end

I wonder where Doug McDermott will fall in this years Draft. He was expected to come out last year as a late 1st rounder, but he decided to stay his senior year with The Blue Jays
    McDermott is the top scorer in the NCAA. He averages 26 points per game.

I think he will be selected inside the top 15, Maybe even higher. There's always a market for a scorer in the NBA.

Here's a guy who is getting absolutely no shine. Completely underrated. I think Adreian Payne could have a great NBA career. Some mock draft than the nerve to put him outside the first round. If some team can pick this guy up outside the top 20, it's a draft steel.

Great story about this lad. You will become a fan of his by watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Molloy10

Embiid will go #1, and should go there.

Molloy10 wrote: »
    Embiid will go #1, and should go there.

Oh I don't know about that. It would be very difficult to pass up on Parker. It's possible Embiid goes first if a team really wants to Draft a Center.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Wiggins dropped 41 points in a loss to West Virginia today.

Including this:

GiantFarawayCoypu.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Wiggins dropped 41 points in a loss to West Virginia today.

Including this:

GiantFarawayCoypu.gif

Brilliant performance by all accounts, yet they lost because Embiid wasn't playing which highlights how important he is.

I'd describe Wiggins as an unpolished diamond. He has the potential to be brilliant. He can really be a superstar in the NBA. His game needs a little work, I don't believe right now he is as complete a player as Parker is. But Wiggins probably has a higher ceiling

Skip and Stephen A weigh in to the Parker v Wiggins debate

• Advertisement

Few changes before selection Sunday
    Bucks - Parker
    76ers - Embiid
    Magic - Wiggins
    Lakers - Exum
    Celtics - Smart
    Utah - Gordon
    Kings - Randle