Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NBA DRAFT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd steer well clear of Ennis. It's a bad deal for the Bulls because they would only move up to 11th the from 16th and they'd lose the 19th pick too. Why move up to get a Garry Harris or Nick Stauskas when you could have a James Young or Dario Saric. That 19th pick is valuable. You could get Zach La Vine or maybe TJ Warren, They could go big and get an Adrian Payne or Cleanthony Early.

How do Young and Saric compare to the other two shooters? I presume if the Bulls are moving up that Harris and Stauskas are a level above the other two, but I really don't know enough about any of them to have an informed opinion myself to be honest. Also, would there not be a worry that Saric will stay in Europe? With the Bulls already trying to get Mirotic over I doubt they want the hassle of trying to get another European player over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I'm not going to argue that Young is better than Harris right now. Harris is two years older He's also the better defender which suits the bulls. but at 6'4 Harris is small for the position in the NBA he doesn't have much physical strength. Young is a long 6'7 who also plays the SF spot, He's more versatile, They have comparable shooting/ scoring records. Although Young's one a done season at UK is visibly better than Harris's 1st year at MSU.

If Saric's game transitions to the NBA he's a better prospect than the other two the worry is his role in the NBA. He has a skill set to match anyone in this class. the question is application

The big night is just 1 week away. Right now I think the cavs could trade the pick or if they hold it. Take Andrew Wiggins

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Embiid has a stress fracture in his right foot and will have surgery tomorrow.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Embiid has a stress fracture in his right foot and will have surgery tomorrow.

Bye-bye #1 pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Paully D wrote: »
    Bye-bye #1 pick.

Now now this is the cavs were talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

nerd69 wrote: »
    Now now this is the cavs were talking about

Well, the news coming from our camp was that they were impressed by Embiid during the workout and that we're waiting out on the results before anything else but tbh, I wouldn't risk the #1 pick in the best draft classes in ages on Embiid, not now anyways. I'm still hoping and praying we pick Jabari first

I think Wiggins would have gone 1st regardless of Embiids injury. The injury could possibly move him outside the top 3

Well, the news coming from our camp was that they were impressed by Embiid during the workout and that we're waiting out on the results before anything else but tbh, I wouldn't risk the #1 pick in the best draft classes in ages on Embiid, not now anyways. I'm still hoping and praying we pick Jabari first

The rumour is that the Cavs and the 76ers have been in trade talks for the #1 pick. The 76ers are high on Wiggins, even if they get #1 pick, the 76ers are taking Wiggins. All the while the Cavs are still high on Embiid and they want to scare the Bucks into not taking Embiid.

So if the 76ers trade #3 pick + Thaddeus Young for the #1 pick, the 76ers will pick Wiggins, the Bucks will be scared of Embiid's injury and pick Parker, and the Cavs will end up with the same player they would've drafted at #1 anyway, but it'll be at #3.

It's known Embiid wants to avoid Milwaukee like the plague (who doesn't sure?).

It's all very elaborate I know, but if it were to play out like this, damn that's ruthless :pac: I'd like to think he's legit injured and there is no smoke and mirrors, but who knows really!

The big Question now is how far Embiid falls because of this injury, added to his injury prone history. He will probably fall outside the previously locked in top 3.

Who will roll the dice and take on the risk on Embiid?

This has a huge effect on the draft, Completely blows apart my own prediction, so here's my post Embiid injury mock draft.

1 - Wiggins - Cavs
    2 - Parker - Bucks
    3 - Exum - 76ers
    4 - Smart - Magic
    5 - Randle - Utah
    6 - Embiid - Celtics
    7 - Gordon - Lakers
    8 - Vonleh - Kings
    9 - McDermott - Hornets
    10 - Saric - 76ers
    11 - Stauskas - Nuggets
    12 - Payne - Magic
    13 - Payton - T Wolves
    14 - Warren - Suns
    15 - Young - Hawks
    16 - Harris - Bulls
    17 - La Vine - Celtics
    18 - Ennis - Suns
    19 - Hood - Celtics
    20 - Anderson - Raptors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

The big Question now is how far Embiid falls because of this injury, added to his injury prone history. He will probably fall outside the previously locked in top 3.

Who will roll the dice and take on the risk on Embiid?

This has a huge effect on the draft, Completely blows apart my own prediction, so here's my post Embiid injury mock draft.

1 - Wiggins - Cavs
    2 - Parker - Bucks
    3 - Exum - 76ers
    4 - Smart - Magic
    5 - Randle - Utah
    6 - Embiid - Celtics
    7 - Gordon - Lakers
    8 - Vonleh - Kings
    9 - McDermott - Hornets
    10 - Saric - 76ers
    11 - Stauskas - Nuggets
    12 - Payne - Magic
    13 - Payton - T Wolves
    14 - Warren - Suns
    15 - Young - Hawks
    16 - Harris - Bulls
    17 - La Vine - Celtics
    18 - Ennis - Suns
    19 - Hood - Celtics
    20 - Anderson - Raptors

Cavs won't be taking Wiggins, it will almost certainly be Parker. The Bucks had all but admitted that they would be taking Parker at 2 if Embiid went to the Cavs, which now won't be happening. The real loser imo are the 76's who thought Wiggins was going to miraculously fall into their lap at 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

buyer95 wrote: »
    Cavs won't be taking Wiggins, it will almost certainly be Parker. The Bucks had all but admitted that they would be taking Parker at 2 if Embiid went to the Cavs, which now won't be happening. The real loser imo are the 76's who thought Wiggins was going to miraculously fall into their lap at 3.
    I still think the 76ers will get Wiggins, nearly certain they will try trade up for him

There really isn't much between Parker and Wiggins, Its a pick the Cavs really cant get wrong. Either way they have a quality player on there hands with potential to be a superstar in this league,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

There really isn't much between Parker and Wiggins, Its a pick the Cavs really cant get wrong. Either way they have a quality player on there hands with potential to be a superstar in this league,
    Parker makes more sense for Cavs right now, Wiggins makes more sense in future. The thing is I think Cavs want to compete right now and will take Parker now if they keep the spot, which tbh I dont see them doing, I will not be a bit surprised to trade down a few times and select Embiid at 5 before Celtics

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Its a pick the Cavs really cant get wrong.

This is the Cavs we're talking about, anything is possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

10372780_10152403038458463_3018096910255738206_n.jpg

Adam Morrison FTW :D

And OJ Mayo looks like Eddie Murphy in Bowfinger.

MV5BMTI4MTQwMDI3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTI4MzUxMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

This is the Cavs we're talking about, anything is possible...

Insert probable for possible. The Cavs have a solid body of work behind them suggesting that they are more likely to fcuk this up then get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

10444532_10152411580313463_88818773595073568_n.jpg

6 busts out of the last 9 2nd picks. Wow.

The Heat are trying to move up to take Shabazz Napier, largely because LeBron likes him:

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11133418/2014-nba-draft-miami-heat-chasing-shabazz-napier-attempt-lure-back-lebron-james
    The Miami Heat have started the process of courting LeBron James with an aggressive attempt to move up in Thursday's NBA draft with their target being former UConn point guard Shabazz Napier, league sources said.

James' agent told the Heat on Tuesday that the four-time NBA MVP will opt out of his contract to become a free agent July 1. The move, however, does not mean James has decided to leave Miami, sources said.

Both James and the Heat are fans of Napier.

James tweeted during the NCAA title game in April: "No way u take a PG in the lottery before Napier."

Heat president Pat Riley, meanwhile, also is fond of Napier. Riley likes four-year players who can come in and contribute right away.

Right after the NBA Finals, Riley flew out to work out Napier, a Heat source told ESPN.com. After the workout, the Heat tried to convince the former Huskies star to stop his workouts so that he'd fall to the Heat with pick No. 26.

The Heat, though, are probably too late.

Napier has been one of the hottest names in the NBA draft the past few weeks, and there's almost no chance he falls to the 26th pick.

Teams as high as the Orlando Magic at No. 12, the Atlanta Hawks at No. 15, the Chicago Bulls at No. 16 and the Boston Celtics at No. 17 are all seriously considering drafting Napier, according to various team sources. And it's unlikely he slides past the Toronto Raptors at No. 21.

Moving up in the draft, however, will be difficult for the Heat.

They have the 26th pick and point guard Norris Cole to offer a team -- but that's about it. If Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh opt out, Justin Hamilton will be the only player they have under contract for next year. And the team can't offer Wade or Bosh in a trade until they officially decide whether or not to opt out by Monday. The team can't even offer a first-rounder next season because the Cleveland Cavaliers have their pick in 2015 if it falls between Nos. 11-30.

Will a package of Cole, No. 26 and a first-round pick in 2017 be enough to lure a team? The Bulls and Celtics have been exploring trade options and could be enticed. Chicago is looking for a backup point guard to Derrick Rose, but it may get stronger offers from elsewhere.

I'd highly doubt they can put a package together to entice someone to move down that much.

In other news Jabari Parker has said the Bucks have told him they'll be taking him if he's there at #2 and he think he'll go there as he didn't feel there was mutual interest from the Cavs (@SpearsNBAYahoo) and Woj says there's "tremendous traffic for Denver's pick at No. 11. Rivals executives believe GM Tim Connelly in a deal-making mode on it".

Word is that Doug Mc Dermott is moving up allot of team's draft boards. The lure of a proven scorer and solid jump shooter is tempting lottery teams,

• Advertisement

Recommended viewing.

NBA TV Doc on the infamous 84 NBA DRAFT

Kirk Goldsberry's shot charts for the top draft prospects.

jabariparker1152.jpg?w=694
    andrewwiggins1152.jpg?w=694

See more prospects chart, Embiid, Randle, Smart, Gordon etc at http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nba-draft-illustrated-shot-charts-for-the-lottery-picks/

BrBR2tWCUAEM_MH.jpg:large

Draft day is here. What a night we have in store, Billed as the strongest draft for a decade, The board is truly stacked with talent. Where teams will move players and future picks in order to move up, down or even into this draft. Draft night trades of star players such as last years Celtics/Brooklyn trade are on the cards as all NBA teams meet in New York City to reshape their teams for a shot at the big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The more I think about it, I can't see Cleveland actually selecting at 1.

I reckon a trade for Utahs #5 and Derrick Favors could be the more likely scenario.

The more I think about it, I can't see Cleveland actually selecting at 1.

I reckon a trade for Utahs #5 and Derrick Favors could be the more likely scenario.

They will definitely be shopping the pick around the league to see who is willing to give up the most for that spot. Its a valuable position to be in. If they do keep the pick, I think they should take Wiggins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

What time will it kick off tonight, going to see jack white later and am up tomorrow at 6.15 for work but would like to watch the lottery picks

stuchyg wrote: »
    What time will it kick off tonight, going to see jack white later and am up tomorrow at 6.15 for work but would like to watch the lottery picks

8pm EST (1am GMT)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

and it begins
    @chadfordinsider: Sources: Cavs were calling around offering teams Orlando's picks at 4 & 12 for players last night.

• Advertisement

and it begins

Ford says Magic would take Jabari at 1 But deal isn't done. Cavs were just gauging value of 4th & 12th pick. Sixers also upping their offer for 1 pick.

Also says that James young was on a minor car accident. He's ok but it caused him to miss his last 5 workouts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement