Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judo/BJJ club in UL

Options
  • 18-07-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I know there used to be a Judo club in UL, and efforts were made to start up a BJJ club a few years ago. Does anyone know if there would be any hope of getting the judo club started up again, or starting a new club for either judo, BJJ or even MMA.

It seems there are a lot of people around that are interested in it and would be worthwhile starting something up.

I will be coming back in September as a postgrad so ideally I would like to join a club to keep me occupied but these are the ones I would be most interested in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Your best bet would be to start it up yourself, or go around and get expressions of interest (Clubs/Socs need 25 members minimum to exist) and see from those interested if they would be willing to start up the club. You really aren't going to get much a response from on here I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ProfanityURL

Where is the best place to look for interested people? Posters on the noticeboards or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

IIRC it used to be possible to set up a stand at the C&S recruitment drive if you were interested in starting a new club or society. That event tends to have a high concentration of people interested in joining something so you get a good shot at bringing in interested people.

To start with I'd suggest calling in to Paul Lee in the SU and having a chat with him about it. www.ulwolves.ie has more info on the C&S setup in UL plus contact info for the relevant people.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

To set up a stand at the recruitment drive I believe a committee has to be already in place (i.e. group of people who want to set it up, minimum of 5 needed) and they must be approved by the C&S Exec and Council. Contacting Paul Lee would be the easiest way to clarify that, realistically I should know for certain but ah well.

Otherwise I would suggest posters all over campus asking people to express interest by sending on e-mails etc. Just asking in your circles of friends could work, also getting a post on the SU facebook page could help as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

Hi Profanity,

there is neither a judo nor BJJ club in UL, the numbers are not quite there. There used to be a judo club I think but that was quite a while ago.

However, there is a very good BJJ club in Limerick, I train there myself. Limerick BJJ Academy are in the city and are always happy to take beginners. The Facebook page is here, with the numbers if you want to call : https://www.facebook.com/LimerickBjjAcademy?fref=ts

I train there pretty much every day, if you are interested in coming down PM me and I'll get you in contact with the head guys.

AFAIK there is also a Judo club in the city, I think they train out in Claughaun GAA ? That would be close to the college for you. I don't know much else about them, but I don't think they train too frequently. best of luck in UL next year anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I think it'd be great if there were a BJJ/Judo/MMA club at UL. Would be some laugh. I wonder, there must be enough numbers for one (or more!) of those arts. Surely there would be enough interested to something going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 speedy755

Limerick judo academy is based now out of Eastway fitness centre in ballysimon on Wednesday @ 7pm. The Coach is James Bourke, 1st Dan. They have a Facebook group. https://m.facebook.com/groups/328726277250219view=info&ref=bookmark&__user=704353134

Advertisement