Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places in Dublin with Air Conditioning?

Options
  • 18-07-2013 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

With the welcome (and long overdue) heat wave still going strong, it would be helpful to many to compile a list of places to go in Dublin that are air conditioned. Coffee shops, restaurants, pubs, theatres, museums, shops, cinema, etc...

I for one would make a special trip to a cafe or pub if I was certain they had A/C. Most casual places seem to be without, so please post what you have found around city centre. Thanks and stay cool indoors! :)

So far I have found Costa Coffee on the corner of Nassau Street has wonderful A/C in their spacious lower level seating area (plus iced coffee)!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Lidl and Aldi ... GREAT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Forgive me, but I'm not in Dublin. Exactly how hot *is* it? What's the daily high temperature?

Cheers,

Ac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I was in Tesco today(scantily clad coz of the weather :D) by the fridges if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

My mum has been hanging out in Dubray Books on Grafton Street on her lunch break. Apparently it's even colder than M&S there. (I never knew she was an air con expert until today :p )

Mr.S wrote: »
    22-28 degrees mostly, which is somewhat normal for most countries ;) If your used to hot weather its fine! Gas to see everyone acting like its 40 degrees.

Ah, thanks. Not too bad, then.

Of course you feel the heat more in Dublin because, being close to the sea, there's so much moisture in the air.

Cheers,

Ac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Of course it isn't SOOOO hot in Dublin compared with much of Europe and the summertime in the USA, but since most homes lack air conditioning it can be a bit unpleasant. My apartment gets tons of sun which is great most of the year but now makes it that much hotter inside than out. So that is why I was looking for ideas on where to head to for a mid-day break or over the weekend.

I've lived in Philadelphia years ago and the summers get really hot and sticky (humid) but most people and most places have A/C so you can always head inside to cool off :)

Yes. I was in Vienna during the heatwave of 2003 and the city was entirely unprepared for the sort of temperatures it experienced. They rarely needed AC before so few places had it.

I'll never forget taking an overnight couchette train from Vienna to Florence to visit some friends. The AC was broken and I remember being afraid to go to sleep for fear I might not wake up.

Florence was hellish. If you went outside you'd be soaked with sweat in about 60 seconds.

Cheers,

Ac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

ulster bank on dorset street, didn't want to leave today or mind being in the queue

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Since we are in the midst of a Irish-style "heat-wave" again, I hope it is OK to revive this thread.

Anyone have suggestions of cafes, coffee shops, and areas where it is possible to hang out for a couple of hours in the cool comforting breeze of A/C? Preferably where you can bring a laptop or to study or read without feeling like you are overstaying your welcome taking up a table or chair. Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Dunnes Stores, Stephen's Green SC.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The restaurant on the corner of Strand Street that used to be the bean bag shop had a sign outside it today saying it had AC. Not sure of the name or what kind of food it sells.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Strand Pharmacy on North Strand - a pleasant cooling surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

Café Nero in the IFSC has AC, I'm guessing the other Nero locations do to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sheridan's Cheesemongers on South Anne Street - how blissful it was being in there before melting in the humidity on the way back to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

ScottSF wrote: »
    Since we are in the midst of a Irish-style "heat-wave" again, I hope it is OK to revive this thread.

Anyone have suggestions of cafes, coffee shops, and areas where it is possible to hang out for a couple of hours in the cool comforting breeze of A/C? Preferably where you can bring a laptop or to study or read without feeling like you are overstaying your welcome taking up a table or chair. Thanks!

The Food Room in Clontarf. Nice sangwitches, coffees, smoothies, etc. Does get very busy at lunchtime though. It was like am icebox in there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Couch Potatoette

Hope it’s ok to revive this thread. Anyone got any new places? My apartment is like a glasshouse these days and I have a small baby so I’m trying to avoid being out in the middle of the day. Would love somewhere cool to kill a few hours. Anyone know if the museums have air con? Was in IMMA on Wednesday and it doesn’t...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

This thread should be saved in the national library for posterity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

I work in air con the last while. Most bookies. Pennys. Dunnes stores. Any hotel built in the last ten years. Any decent garage/petrols station like circle k topaz whatever they call them these days. Most government buildings eg dole office or passport office. Most private and a lot of public hospitals. Don’t work in a lot of pubs though somebody else must get all that work but most gastropubs would have it. Arnotts has it.

I hope that helps. I can’t ensure they are turned on though. Some staff get very odd with air con and like to be in charge of the room stat/controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Dundrum shopping centre was nice and cool last week .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I work in air con the last while. Most bookies. Pennys. Dunnes stores. Any hotel built in the last ten years. Any decent garage/petrols station like circle k topaz whatever they call them these days. Most government buildings eg dole office or passport office. Most private and a lot of public hospitals. Don’t work in a lot of pubs though somebody else must get all that work but most gastropubs would have it. Arnotts has it.

I hope that helps. I can’t ensure they are turned on though. Some staff get very odd with air con and like to be in charge of the room stat/controller.

Ah, so you're responsible for installing that Irish aircon that freezes half the office worker in the country. You have a lot to answer for. Then, when we call you out, it's our fault for messing with the controls, because you can't find anything wrong with the system. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Ah, so you're responsible for installing that Irish aircon that freezes half the office worker in the country. You have a lot to answer for. Then, when we call you out, it's our fault for messing with the controls, because you can't find anything wrong with the system. :)

Sounds like it’s not being used right or not enough different units with different controllers. I’m not 100 percent sure though it’s a new trade I’m trying out the last year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Ah, so you're responsible for installing that Irish aircon that freezes half the office worker in the country. You have a lot to answer for. Then, when we call you out, it's our fault for messing with the controls, because you can't find anything wrong with the system.

A lot of those stat controllers aren't even hooked up to anything. The illusion of control is a funny thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

it’s a new trade I’m trying out the last year or two.

Once you get the hang of blaming the customer, it’s a breeze (no pun intended).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Actually, a huge number of shops have AC - it's just that the lighting and other equipment counters it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think McDonald's all have AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's very easy for someone who's too cold to get heat. It's hard for people who are too hot to get cold. So for the half who are freezing wear a 2nd or 3rd layer so the people who aren't can be comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Suprised to hear Penneys has AC! Worked there for years and it was unbearably hot in Summer. They hired portable units during one heatwave but it was generally stifling. And they weren't ones for splashing out on facilities for staff or customers.

Most bigger hairdressing salons have air con too. My usual place was deserted and blissfully cool during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

The national gallery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Dundrum shopping centre was nice and cool last week .

Except for the carpark there which was sweltering when I was there at the weekend.

Advertisement