Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation Degree from the OU

Options
  • 18-07-2013 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I was recently studying for a Foundation Degree with the OU but I was told that because it is more of an English award it wont be recognised over here.

I have spoken to the OU and I'm still a little lost, they haven't said it is not recognised as such but just that it falls between a level 6 and 7 on our NFQ and it would be harder for an employer to understand.

Has anyone had any experiences of completing a foundation degree and trying to use it over here as a qualification?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Do you have a link to the specific degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭darirl

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the specific degree?

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/x15.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm basically finished the predecessor of that - G23 - same course but different code for pricing reasons. One more TMA, one more EMA and that's it.

I'm not expecting it to be easily accepted here, but there is a topup to full BSc available, with the BSc graded entirely on that final set of 120 credits. Another 5 grand to do, but probably worth it so I'll be starting that in Feb '15 - module timing is screwing me up for a '14 start.

You can explain it as being basically equivalent to an L7/Ordinary Degree here to an employer - that's what I've done to date anyway.

MYOB wrote: »
    I'm basically finished the predecessor of that - G23 - same course but different code for pricing reasons. One more TMA, one more EMA and that's it.

I'm not expecting it to be easily accepted here, but there is a topup to full BSc available, with the BSc graded entirely on that final set of 120 credits. Another 5 grand to do, but probably worth it so I'll be starting that in Feb '15 - module timing is screwing me up for a '14 start.

You can explain it as being basically equivalent to an L7/Ordinary Degree here to an employer - that's what I've done to date anyway.

I had one more level 1 to do for the foundation degree but they have advised that a Open degree would be better and that they also recommend this to Irish students. If this has to be done then so be it but I always had in mind a degree with a "proper" title rather than just had "Open degree". I'm not even sure how this is accepted by companies. If I go with the Open degree then its a handy level 1 and I'll do an easy level 3 at the same time just to finish it all up. I have been very lucky with the company paying for all of this but their limit is one per year so I'll have to fork out for the other one. Not that I'm complaining as they have paid for them all since 2006.

Open maps to nothing here either. Would always go for the bsc topup over it

• Advertisement

Open maps to nothing here either. Would always go for the bsc topup over it

In an ideal world I would push for that but at this stage and after this long my heart just isnt into anymore. The courses are not enjoyable anymore and I just want to finish up as soon as I can.

I'd say they recommend the Open degree because it easily equates to a level 7 over here. I actually completed the Diploma in IT with them and that works out to level 7, the foundation degree is between 6 and 7..nothing is simple :)

The Open Degree requires 360 credits, the BSc Topup requires 120 credits + the Foundation requires 240 credits = 360. I don't see how you're going to get it any quicker? The BSc would be Level 8 in Ireland.

The Open Degree requires 360 credits, the BSc Topup requires 120 credits + the Foundation requires 240 credits = 360. I don't see how you're going to get it any quicker? The BSc would be Level 8 in Ireland.

The Open Ordinary degree is 300, that's what Ill be going for. I'm not too put out about it now, well not as much as I was, as its giving me a chance to add in Business Studies and Investigating Entrepreneurial opportunities which I would have an interest in. I currently have 240 credits but not all of them count towards the foundation degree.

So I'll have:
    Certificate in IT and Computing
    Diploma in IT which is level 7
    Open Degree, again Level 7

They will do me for a while. As you know yourself you do really have to work hard for them especially when you are working full time. Also my career interests have changed in recent years, I really enjoy what I work as now so I'm not as restricted in what I was aiming for as I was at the start of all this.

Thanks for the help by the way.

That does change the complexion of things a bit... as it'll realistically take 2 years or more to get the "correct" credits for the foundation+topup as even with a death wish, you can't do all 4 topup modules at once (the project requires a previous module to be completed first) and they all start in February every year.

The OU have created this rod for their own backs by classing the difference between a Foundation, Ordinary and Honours degree as being half a years study each - there's no course in Ireland where you can go from an L7 to L8 in half a year that I'm aware of. But the Foundation degree was put in place to game the Scottish qualification system from memory...

Advertisement