Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traversing the reeks

Options
  • 18-07-2013 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So planning to traverse the reeks on Monday with a friend his first time and the issue is this on the previous occassions I have had transport at either end however this time we are only using one car. So does anybody have any suggestions on how to get back to say Kate's cottage from the hydro path area? Alternatively I was thinking of parking in Cronin's yard and aiming for the saddle of Cruach Bheag although I am not sure if there are fences are access issues across that land.

Comments

You can park in Cronins Yard, go down the path a few hundred yards then skirt the forestry and make a beeline for Lough Cummeenapeasta, then east up Cruach Mhor. You could head "back" towards Cruach Bheag I guess but would be a long way around skirting the base of Cruach Mhor with little point. Then from Cruach Mhor all the way along the Eastern Reeks, up Carrauntoohil, out to Caher and Caher West, and then back to Beenkeragh and Knockbrinnea and down. You get all the main summits and the 3 main ridges, Big Gun, Cruach Mhor, Beenkeragh. If ahead of schedule you could always try descending Stumpa an tSaimh ridge and take in the Hags Tooth and head back up to Beenkeragh, the climb back up at that stage would be a fitness tester.

Advertisement