Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drug testing for prospective employees.....a common practice?

Options
  • 18-07-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am looking for a job in Ireland at the minute and I am wondering if it is common practice for companies to ask prospective employee's for a urine sample for a drug test? Particularly in the pharmaceutical/biotech industries.
    Thanks for all your feedback in advance guys

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

For most jobs I've gone for with MNCs (Multinational companies) a preemplyment medical includes a drug test.

I've known a fair few people fail too, maybe 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Standard practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Every job I've done has had this. Even summer jobs when I was a teenager (it was for a large company and they required a medical)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Speaking as a recruiter.......

I am astonished by how many fail these tests. Not that people take drugs, but that people that are job hunting in those particular environments use drugs while looking for a new job... they know they will be tested and I'm sure they know they will fail.

To be honest I'm amazed that people don't just with drop out at the medical stage, but that has never happened once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's common practice in the UK, and becoming more and more so here. In my brother's job, the testers can come at any time you're on shift to test too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement