Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

It would run them,,, but maybe not at maximum settings, but that aint a bad thing either, alot of gamers are obsessed with having the best graphics, but not good gameplay,, for the price id say its not a bad machine to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Those medions are nothing but hassle, a friend had to return his to lidl three times due to continual hardware fails.

It'd chug on any new titles, only does 22fps for skyrim on medium presets, and skyrim isnt demanding now. Lidl dont do gaming rigs, ask for a build on the Building and Upgrading forum.

skyrim-1920.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Not commenting on that machine but on Medion. Had one for 6 years never an issue very well built and cabled, may have changed since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Be even better with Win 7 or Linux.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not bad value at all if you're not interested in building your own machine - which is very easy and far better value for money, it has to be said - though you could do with adding a video card, the integrated one is pretty weak. Modern Warfare 3 though would run fine on mid-high, GTA IV proibably fine on low-mid settings.

You can crossfire that Integrated Video with a cheap 50 euro 6670 for increased performance, or else just buy something like a 7750 outright for about 80 euro (which would be probably very similar to the 7560d+6670 in crossfire).

Either way, for 450-480 you'd have a relatively OK light gaming machine.

If you're looking to play newer games, I'd recommend at least a 7770 for about 90 euro, or a 7790 for about 120.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You could build a very decent gaming rig for about €500 that would be a fair bit better than that rig. As mentioned you should post in the building and upgrading forum.

Fill out the sticky questions and make a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

BloodBath wrote: »
    You could build a very decent gaming rig for about €500 that would be a fair bit better than that rig.
    The big benefit of building of course is being able to call your PC a "Rig".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Would this machine in Aldi be ok for general internet browsing for the father in law? He doesn't use a PC much only for light internet use.

The 3 year warranty would be an attraction to him

Thoughts please?

EDIT - hold on, is there no Monitor with it?? Though I can muster up one for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

That's the big thing alright. There's no monitor. It puts you up slightly over the €500 after a new screen is bought. I've a budget of €550 in the next couple of weeks to pick up a machine (including monitor) for a customer for an office environment with continuous use and was half considering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭wiilow74

Hi , I'm looking to get a pc for my son and was wondering if the Medion Akoya E4080 that's coming into Aldi would be any good ?
    He wants to be able to play Startrek online on it and some of his other pc games , nothing with very HD grapics but he's 13 so in a couple of years he'll probably want more advanced games alright , thing is my brother has offered to build him a pc and he has done it before so he knows what he's at but I thought if this pc's specs were good enough it might save the hassle , thanks in advance for the help :)

• Advertisement

Well I think I'm gonna recommend it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I wouldn't recommend it. I agree with BloodBath if you going to game on it you're better off building your own. It's not as hard as it sounds to build a PC these days..

I wouldn't recommend it. I agree with BloodBath if you going to game on it you're better off building your own. It's not as hard as it sounds to build a PC these days..

Read my post number 9 - the father in law won't be "gaming" on it :rolleyes:

Can I connect a monitor to this via a 15 pin VGA cable with this spec?

Front: Multicard reader/1 x USB 3.0¹/1 x USB 2.0/1 x microphone/1 x headphones

Rear: 2 x PS/2/2 x USB 3.0¹/4 x USB 2.0/1 x LAN (RJ-45)/1 x HDMI®/1 x VGA/1 x front line out/1 x subwoofer/centre out/1 x line In/1 x back surround out/1 x side surround out/ 1 x SPDIF opt. out

vicwatson wrote: »
    Read my post number 9 - the father in law won't be "gaming" on it :rolleyes:

OP and Post 11 wants to game on it.
    Edit:
    Your father in Law would be better off with a cheap laptop if that all he is going to use if for.

OP and Post 11 wants to game on it.
    Edit:
    Your father in Law would be better off with a cheap laptop if that all he is going to use if for.

Won't a laptop cost more than €400.00 and won't have a 3 year warranty for that money??

Won't a laptop cost more than €400.00 and won't have a 3 year warranty for that money??

You can get them for less than 400 euro. My mother in law bought a Compaq laptop in Tesco last year for €299 with a warranty. It was cheap and cheerful and did the job of email and web browsing. You could alway go over to the laptop forum and see what they can find for you.

You can get them for less than 400 euro. My mother in law bought a Compaq laptop in Tesco last year for €299 with a warranty. It was cheap and cheerful and did the job of email and web browsing. You could alway go over to the laptop forum and see what they can find for you.

I'd prefer to hear more opinions on this machine, it's a 3 year warranty and should future proof it technology wise for him. He's had a bad experience with a €500.00 Dell laptop so would be reluctant to go back the laptop route.

I'd prefer to hear more opinions on this machine, it's a 3 year warranty and should future proof it technology wise for him. He's had a bad experience with a €500.00 Dell laptop so would be reluctant to go back the laptop route.

Fair enough. 399 including Windows 8 is not bad for what your father in Law will be using it for.

Will a standard Dell monitor connect to this pc without problemo anyone know? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Will a standard Dell monitor connect to this pc without problem anyone know? Cheers
    Yes if it's the blue connector -VGA (1 x HDMI®/1 x VGA) I assume it has a DVI, but you can always convertors for any display. Most likely comes with one. You can also connect it to a HD flat screen TV. Anyway new Monitors are relatively cheap or can always pick a one up of averts.ie

IMO looks like an excellent machine value for money but wasted just for light browsing the web, like having a 4 litre 4X4 only to got to the local shop for bread/milk and the paper. Also need a dedicated spot/space in house. Might come in useful latter for documents and large data storage, video editing.

But unless he is use to & dead set on desktops: keyboard/mouse, wouldn't a touchpad tablet be more versatile for web browsing & reading online news papers. Portable easy to use, no fiddling with hardware or peripheral devices. It's just that you are tired to a desktop. note in case you think I'm ant-desktop; I have a high spec Dell desktop, my pride and joy which I use for hours everyday and it's actually worth more than my car.

Just a suggestion as saw a load of them in Harvey Normans, all price ranges, so assume be likewise in every other electrical retailer. just a note: MS surface has a separate keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭johnsds

Thank you,

For all your replies.

Much appreciated.

I'm not tech savvy, if I was to have a PC capable friend construct one for me that would be an excellent gaming/general use ( MS word/internet/photoshop etc ) PC that could run all COD/the latest COD/MOD WARFARE and GTA on the same machine flawlessly & be up to the task of playing any of the above online then, realistically how much out of pocket would I be shelling out €€€€ wise and what could you recommend for me?

Thanks again,

John.

dickwallok wrote: »

That graphics card will max out some of the latest games and play others medium to high.

Thank you, what does the above mean "max out" does it mean the graphics card is too much or is just perfect & above?

Sorry if I sound a bit slow on this :o

Kindest regards,

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭nitna bitna

D.I.D electrical have compaq 15.6 inch laptop
    with 2gb ram 320gb hard drive HDMI output to tv

for only 289

269 if u have a axa insurance discount card,

u wont beat that price

Advertisement