Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just signed up to Vodafone with 'foxorboxor'

• 18-07-2013 8:38pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So after 6 fine years with UPC/NTL, I've just signed up for Vodafone Broadband while on contract.

Now the service we got with UPC was excellent but it cost €75 a month and we've been trying to cut down on that for some time. This salesman called into the house today and offered 70Mb broadband with anytime unlimited calls for €37.50 and my mother pretty much signed up for it before I even got there.

But this deal was different :confused: He offered a TV service called foxorboxor for a once off payment of €300. He said it has all the Irish, UK and a lot of foreign channels and I think it's running something like XBMC to stream tv shows and sports on demand.

So what we got is:
    • 70Mb broadband
    • Unlimited but he said the cap was 900GB
    • Unlimited calls to local and UK landline
    • €47.50 price but €37.50 because we're Vodafone mobile customers
    • Some sort of IPTV box for a once off €300

I've been looking around and I can't find a Vodafone broadband deal with 900GB cap, that price or find out much about 'foxorboxor'.

What the hell did I just sign up to?

Has anyone been around offering you something similar?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I imagine it's just a free to air satellite box. Nothing really fancy about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Never heard of that ...
    Found this about foxorboxor > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3H832vmh_Y

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I imagine it's just a free to air satellite box. Nothing really fancy about that.

That's what I was thinking but when he said I can choose matches to watch live separately if it's not on and watch Sky Sports for free..I think it's just an XBMC box :confused:

Edit:
    Vico1612 wrote: »
    Never heard of that ...
    Found this about foxorboxor > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3H832vmh_Y

Ugh..okay it's an XBMC box. Can I survive with it? I don't have too much experience with them.

Definitely looks like I got ripped off on the price for that..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Found this. http://foxorboxor.com/aboutus/

It doesn't really clear it up. I don't think it's a free to air box. All it really mentions is that it gets frequent updates no idea why it would need them though. Is it just some box that shows illegal online streams. It would explain why you can watch sky sports without a subscription.

Found this. http://foxorboxor.com/aboutus/

It doesn't really clear it up. I don't think it's a free to air box. All it really mentions is that it gets frequent updates no idea why it would need them though. Is it just some box that shows illegal online streams. It would explain why you can watch sky sports without a subscription.

Why would Vodafone let their salesmen sell these?

I think I'll try to cancel..the broadband offer is good but no way in hell am I paying €300 for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

lol, this foxorboxor youtube ad is hilarious. :pac:

you're basically paying 300 quid for a HTPC of some kind to run XBMC (which is free) with a few plugins pre-installed (which are free).

there's a good chance that some of the plugins won't be 100% legit if they're talking about movies and US TV shows too, with some kind of spoofing of IP addresses to unlock blocked content, which could stop working at any time.

doesn't look like it's anything to do with vodafone anyway, most likely a 3rd party agent or just some lad chancing his arm to make a few quid. either way, i wouldn't be counting on too much in the way of tech support if/when it goes wrong.

EDIT: after looking on their website, it looks like it's an android device running the openELEC version of XBMC, so probably worth between €50-100 at most.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Why would Vodafone let their salesmen sell these?

I think I'll try to cancel..the broadband offer is good but no way in hell am I paying €300 for that

Vodafone wouldn't be selling this I imagine. If they were surely there would be more information on their website. I think yer man was doing it on the side. Did you have to pay the €300 direct to him? I'd report him to Vodafone if I were you.

I want to ring up Vodafone but I can't stand their customer service. No I paid €50 deposit and rest when the box is delivered.

He had a Vodafone ID, no way was I going to let him in without one..and I know his name.

I guess I'll report it and try to get my money back off him.

As for my current situation, maybe cancel UPC TV and get Freeview maybe.

That's what I'd do. Get a box that does both saorview and freesat. Then you'll have all your channels coming through the one box.

That's what I'd do. Get a box that does both saorview and freesat. Then you'll have all your channels coming through the one box.

Ah, yes I'd need the Irish channels too.

Does anyone know about UPC's cancellation fee? Website says €150 but others say €100. Do they come after you for it?

• Advertisement

Ah, yes I'd need the Irish channels too.

Does anyone know about UPC's cancellation fee? Website says €150 but others say €100. Do they come after you for it?

That would only be if you are locked into a contract. If you are not in a contract then it would probably just be 30 days notice with no additional charge.

That would only be if you are locked into a contract. If you are not in a contract then it would probably just be 30 days notice with no additional charge.

Yeah I'm in contract..

Seriously regretting this now. This should keep me busy for a few days..

Ugh he said he left his number but he didn't

Mods, could you please move this to the Talk to: Vodafone forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ugh he said he left his number but he didn't

Mods, could you please move this to the Talk to: Vodafone forum?

You'd be better of PMing the reps with all your details so they can track the scummer down.

ED E wrote: »
    You'd be better of PMing the reps with all your details so they can track the scummer down.

Yeah I already sent a PM with the name of the salesmen. they won't see it until 9 tomorrow. I'll be ringing them up in the morning anyway.

Are their Home Customer Service the same as their VF mobile customer service? If yes, I know I'm going to have an awful time explaining this to them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Any update on this?
    Would love to know what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

probably not a voda rep, just paintshoped the ID.

Catch a hundred customers in a few days, that's a fair amount of money at 50 a pop.

Rang up customer service just there and the took all the details, said they'll contact the salesman as soon as possible and that they'll be in contact with me if they have any updates.

I guess I'll report it and try to get my money back off him.

and when you get your €50 back, put it towards one of these: http://easysaver.ie/store/13-dongles

basically same thing as the foxorboxer (think of it as basically an android tablet using your tv screen), install XBMC (free), plus TV plugins (free) and you can use it for youtube, netflix, full web browsing, so facebbook & email etc. and HD angry birds etc. to boot. :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    basically same thing as the foxorboxer (think of it as basically an android tablet using your tv screen), install XBMC (free), plus TV plugins (free) and you can use it for youtube, netflix, full web browsing, so facebbook & email etc. and HD angry birds etc. to boot. :D

Already have an Mk808 :D 4.1 JB with Cortex A9, there are probably newer ones out now. But I haven't installed XBMC on it and Netflix quality is poor. There was an update for my version which was supposed to fix that but I never got around to it..

If I start using that properly and install Freesat with Saorview, I should be set for TV..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Never ever ever ever ever ever buy anything at your doorstep....

degsie wrote: »
    Never ever ever ever ever ever buy anything at your doorstep....
    except milk. :D

After some phonecalls to VF and dropping a couple of PMs to the Vodafone reps on boards. The broadband and phone was cancelled on Tuesday and my €50 was refunded by a different person from 'foxorboxor' today.

First and last time I'm buying anything from these salesmen again and last time I'm letting my mother talk to them..

Anyway, cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seanasdf

My mate works in the vodafone field sales team and he was selling the foxy boxes on the side aswell.It's simple sales and marketing who vodafone use so its not people directly hired by vodafone.

One of the lads in the sales team got a few in and decided to sell them aswell to make more cash, vodafone are **** aswell can't believe anyone signed up tbh.

Advertisement