Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thinking of upgrading to Iphone 5 form a 4S?

• 18-07-2013 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭

hi,
    is there any reasons to upgrade, or more importantly, not to upgrade to the iphone 5 from a 4S?
    i browse, email text and call like everyone, and am on the move in either a car or truck all day. i have a small number of apps, but do have google maps, and like it, google drive, youtube etc. are these still on there? and i have an ipad, but its in the house mainly, and very little connectivity really. i don't use the icloud, yet??!!
    so, what do you experts think? i'm just due an upgrade, and would pass the 4s to the better half, its great, and reliable, is the iphone 5 as reliable?

thanks,

ed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

DriversEd wrote: »
    hi,
    is there any reasons to upgrade, or more importantly, not to upgrade to the iphone 5 from a 4S?
    i browse, email text and call like everyone, and am on the move in either a car or truck all day. i have a small number of apps, but do have google maps, and like it, google drive, youtube etc. are these still on there? and i have an ipad, but its in the house mainly, and very little connectivity really. i don't use the icloud, yet??!!
    so, what do you experts think? i'm just due an upgrade, and would pass the 4s to the better half, its great, and reliable, is the iphone 5 as reliable?

thanks,

ed

Not sure what you mean about reliable. In fact it wouldn't be in my vocabulary when it comes to an iphone. The 5 is superb, superior to the 4s, in the way that was to the 4 and the 4 to 3GS and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Just wait until September when the 5S comes out and it'll make it more worth your while. It's not a smart move buying the 5 now with a new one right around the corner. Even if you don't want the 5S, the 5 will get a slight price cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

From what you say I really don't see any point in upgrading so soon. I would wait until 2014 and the 6 (if it is called that). You don't push the capabilities of the phone as a high powered device and the 5 or 5S wouldn't make any difference to your life as far as I could see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Since you use Google drive, Maps, etc, why not think about an Android phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Your iPhone 4S is still a very good phone for what you appear to be using it for. I would wait for the iPhone 5S which should be here in three months or less and that will be a very significant upgrade to your current phone as the rumoured leaks show double the amount of RAM & a 12mp camera etc. Best to just wait for that and get more value for your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Truck driver here. I upgraded my nokia lumina 800 to the 820 because of the option to get larger text size. It also performs way better in terms of speech to text and voice dialing over bluetooth (plantronics m50).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

thanks for the advice people, its much appreciated, as thinking of changing is always a wrench!
    danger mouse, thats something to consider, ill be thinking on that one.
    if i were to change to an android, whats good? or this a blasphemous question to ask here??;-)
    is the much touted HTC an android? will the google apps and maps work on these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

thanks for the advice people, its much appreciated, as thinking of changing is always a wrench!
    danger mouse, thats something to consider, ill be thinking on that one.
    if i were to change to an android, whats good? or this a blasphemous question to ask here??;-)
    is the much touted HTC an android? will the google apps and maps work on these?
    Google makes android so you can bet first priority goes to their android brand. The HTC One is by far the best android phone and has a build quality that rivals the iPhone 5. Would sooner go with that than the S4 because it's overrated, imo.

My older brother has an android and all the Google apps are way better on my iPhone5 than his brand new Galaxy. I advise you to stay with your 4S and wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

There's a couple of us using the windows phone in our trucks and we have a couple of iphone users. I can safely say that those of us that are using windows phones are using the phones to their maximum potential..e.g using nokia drive, podcast lounge, etc. The iphone guys just picked up the phone because that's what they were told to get in the phone shop.
    I think with the ability to resize the live tiles on the lumina, there's no better phone out there for using while driving. I've positioned my own live tiles in such a way, that I can just glance at the phone and tell if I have new email, social notifications and weather updates. Another great useful feature ( and I don't know if it works on the iphone in the same manner) is the phone's ability to line into the stereo for playing music/podcasts etc, but when a call comes in, the music fades down and the call is routed into the bluetooth earpiece. Nice feature as I think the hands free car kits pick up too much background noise especially in the trucks.
    Obviously, Microsoft's marketplace isn't nearly as populated as Apple's app store or Android's Google play but everything I need is on it.

• Advertisement

Only idiots but windows phones. Slow, messy, difficult to use, illogical interface, jittery screens, it's just a mess. But hey, if money is an issue then get a cheap smart phone with android or windows. The best costs money and the iPhone is the best and most expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Piliger wrote: »
    Only idiots but windows phones. Slow, messy, difficult to use, illogical interface, jittery screens, it's just a mess. But hey, if money is an issue then get a cheap smart phone with android or windows. The best costs money and the iPhone is the best and most expensive.

Anyone who calls windows phone slow clearly has not used it, which makes the rest of your comment moot.

If you want slow (real slow) get a cheap android!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Piliger wrote: »

Always one retard fanboi who has to ruin a good thread :rolleyes:

Stick with what you have till the end of the year, there will be a new phone a coming soon.

But if you want it, just get it cause there is always going to be a new one coming every time you buy a phone, and if you keep holding off you'll never get a new one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

hi,

thanks,

ed

I have the iPhone 5 and tbh its just a stretched version of the 4s there is no difference at all.

i'm sorry I got the 5 now. i'm still trying find a major difference in the two phones. waaaaaay over rated phone .

iPhone 5 is having major problems with apps crashing. If I were you id wait for the iphone 6 with its 12 mp camera etc .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I have the iPhone 5 and tbh its just a stretched version of the 4s there is no difference at all.

i'm sorry I got the 5 now. i'm still trying find a major difference in the two phones. waaaaaay over rated phone .

iPhone 5 is having major problems with apps crashing. If I were you id wait for the iphone 6 with its 12 mp camera etc .

I quite like the extra row of apps, great having more on the main screen. Also can read more before scrolling, things seem squashed on the 4s now.

What major problems are you talking about? I have no issues with crashes (bar being on a beta). Any sources?

Advertisement