Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landline install...through window or concrete?

• 18-07-2013 9:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

My landlord said he wont allow drilling through a PVC wndow frame. So what other options do the landline install guys have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

My landlord said he wont allow drilling through a PVC wndow frame. So what other options do the landline install guys have?

I would suppose like sky/upc drill through the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Apartment or house? If its a house run it through the eave, if an apartment then time to break out the SDS drill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In through an air vent? Under the eaves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Just lob it in he top opening......be grand shure.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

My landlord said he wont allow drilling through a PVC wndow frame.
    He's right, they may end up shattering the glass, as a few millimeters of the glass extends into the frame. You could try forcing it through the silicon around the frame of the window, but this is not easy when the window is tight against concrete reveal.
    So what other options do the landline install guys have?
    Personally I would simply drill the cavity block, and then place a washer around the cable so you get no draft around the cable. You say landline, so it must be Eircom (or a contractor on their behalf) are coming to install, they should have a masonary drill bit. Try to have the hole near a drainpipe so you can hide the cable behind the drainpipe, or have the hole close to the roof so you can run the cable along the eaves.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Do the install guys have these washers in the vans?

He's right, they may end up shattering the glass, as a few millimeters of the glass extends into the frame. You could try forcing it through the silicon around the frame of the window, but this is not easy when the window is tight against concrete reveal.

Personally I would simply drill the cavity block, and then place a washer around the cable so you get no draft around the cable. You say landline, so it must be Eircom (or a contractor on their behalf) are coming to install, they should have a masonary drill bit. Try to have the hole near a drainpipe so you can hide the cable behind the drainpipe, or have the hole close to the roof so you can run the cable along the eaves.

Advertisement