Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert as an adult

Options
  • 18-07-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a leaving cert applied and a FETAC level 5, I dropped out of the level six as I began to feel that it wasn't for me. I am now feeling a bit adrift, not sure what to do with myself, can't figure out what direction to go in, I was going to sign up for a FAS course but now I am thinking about going and doing the Leaving Cert, I will be 23 next year and I am hoping to apply to college, in the general computing area, not sure what area yet specifically, if I apply with both a points leaving cert and as a mature student I might have a better chance of getting in, plus I feel like I would be atleast working towards my future. I think I could definitely do well in the Leaving Cert, I did very well with the LCA and the FETAC level 5.

Has anyone else gone down this road? Did you find it to be a beneficial experience? Are VTOS centres the only real place that adults can do the points leaving cert in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a leaving cert applied and a FETAC level 5, I dropped out of the level six as I began to feel that it wasn't for me. I am now feeling a bit adrift, not sure what to do with myself, can't figure out what direction to go in, I was going to sign up for a FAS course but now I am thinking about going and doing the Leaving Cert, I will be 23 next year and I am hoping to apply to college, in the general computing area, not sure what area yet specifically, if I apply with both a points leaving cert and as a mature student I might have a better chance of getting in, plus I feel like I would be atleast working towards my future. I think I could definitely do well in the Leaving Cert, I did very well with the LCA and the FETAC level 5.

Has anyone else gone down this road? Did you find it to be a beneficial experience? Are VTOS centres the only real place that adults can do the points leaving cert in?

Repeated this year at 25

If your not sure what college course you want to do. The leaving cert is best option as you don't have to decide until the 1st of Feb. I did mine in a Plc on BTEA so I don't know much about vtos. Plus applying as a leaving cert and a mature will double your chances of getting the course you want

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you contact your local VEC, they have staff specifically employed to advise adult LC people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Thanks guys, I'm actually going to go ahead and do this, the thought only entered my head last night but it just seems like the logical step to help me figure out what's next and to get me where I'm going, wherever that might be.

Going to send a couple of emails and make some phone calls and fingers crossed I will get a place somewhere for this September.

Advertisement