Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More Stone Cold/WM30 rumours

• 18-07-2013 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

WWE is still hoping that "Stone Cold" Steve Austin will get medical clearance for a match at WrestleMania 30.

If he is cleared and interested, an idea has already been pitched. The idea is that "Stone Cold" would face Triple H at the pay-per-view for control of the WWE. Austin would represent Vince McMahon during the match. This has only been talked about right now and absolutely nothing has been confirmed.

Of course, plans can easily change as it's very well known that Austin wants to face CM Punk in his return match. CM Punk wants the same thing so there would be a lot of negotiating beforehand.

I imagine this comes with a pinch or two of salt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Stone Cold representing McMahon? Ah..........no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I think Stone Cold wrestling HHH in any way shape or form would be a massive waste

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I think Stone Cold wrestling HHH in any way shape or form would be a massive waste

I will say in a perfect world I would like someone else but:

1. None of us know how bad Austin's neck is. It could be a total kit gloves situation.

2. HHH is one of very few left on the roster that Austin has wrestled before - the comfortability factor. A Wade Barrett-Undertaker match was cancelled as Undertaker was fit enough to work house shows/practice matches with the in experienced Wade.

3. Triple took great care of Undertaker at Wrestlemania 28. Your CM Punks are kind of sloppy.

You can counter that with:
    1. CM Punk took care of Rock and Undertaker too this year. Flat out carrying the Rock as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

GTR63 wrote: »
    "Stone Cold" Steve Austin will get medical clearance for a match at WrestleMania 30.

About 3 years ago when shilling his latest Direct-to-DVD film he said his neck was at 100%. I reckon he hasn't come back since because of Rock & Brock's return. He didn't take kindly to not being the main spotlight guy in 2002 and I doubt much has changed. It also makes good business sense for McMahon, as Rock or Austin as headline attraction individually would get over a million buys at Mania, and having both on the same Mania wouldn't get that many more buys to be financially worth it.

Much like Orton/Cena, I've no want to see HHH/Austin again. Something new please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

And most importantly it would probably draw some serious money as well.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Would be cool to see Austin vs HHH again,though would be weird him representing Vince unless HHH turns heel in the battle for control of WWE story.

I'd imagine Austin v Brock or Austin vs Cena would be bigger draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

it would be worth it for the punches alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Austin vs Triple H at WM30? Imagine Punk's meltdown if he were told he wouldn't get to wrestle Austin at 'Mania.

8762%20-%20Raw%20autoplay_gif%20cm_punk%20facepalm%20gif%20wwe.gif

We've seen Austin/HHH before when they were both in their prime, there is no need to see it now. I'd much rather they used Austin with somebody who could benefit from it rather than shoehorning him into another McMahon power-struggle storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

I just want Austin back. Cm punk vs Austin would be one great build up if done right

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Since its the WWE I couldnt look past Austin vs Cena, sure we know what a waste it would be, but it would probably get the biggest amount of buys compared to all the other options, plus Austin only needs to take 5 moves in the entire match, what more could they want? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Think Austin's interest on working with Punk may have cooled he doesn't seem totally enamoured with Punk's work

Would like to see Austin v Brock that could be huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If Austin were to face Punk, that would mean yet another turn for Punk. He'd be heading for Big Show territory if he turned again so soon. Add in that Punk hasnt really delivered against the other old timers and I dont think it would be a great option.

Brock is a no go. He could cripple Austin with ease.

Triple H or Cena are the only people who make sense. Maybe Undertaker but I dont see how that would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If he is going to have one last match obviously the ideal place to maximise exposure and profit would be at the top of the bill of a milestone Wrestlemania. Like rovert said I imagine he'd trust an old hand who he has experience with like HHH to take care of him in the ring moreso than a younger guy like Punk. I think the two of them could put on a decent match in fairness, I'd be for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Can Triple H like not get in the ring anymore? ****ing hell I'm sick of seeing him in programmes with people that he doesn't need to be win.

If Austin comes back it should be for Punk and Punk alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

If he is going to have one last match obviously the ideal place to maximise exposure and profit would be at the top of the bill of a milestone Wrestlemania. Like rovert said I imagine he'd trust an old hand who he has experience with like HHH to take care of him in the ring moreso than a younger guy like Punk. I think the two of them could put on a decent match in fairness, I'd be for it.

I'd be pretty sure that if Taker is willing to give Punk his blessing, then Austin wouldn't be bothered about it.

And "take care" of him? Punk knows his way around the ring and through a match about 50 times better than HHH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

I'd be pretty sure that if Taker is willing to give Punk his blessing, then Austin wouldn't be bothered about it.

And "take care" of him? Punk knows his way around the ring and through a match about 50 times better than HHH.

Hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

The fact that Austin needs someone to protect him is the only possible explanation for him fighting Triple H, apart from the Game's Ego.

If that's the case though why not Austin-Cena? That would be huge - can you imagine how much people will get behind Austin? The ultimate hero against the ultimate antihero.

That said, Punk-Austin is where most of the money is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

EdK wrote: »
    Think Austin's interest on working with Punk may have cooled he doesn't seem totally enamoured with Punk's work

Aye, there's the recent dig on Twitter that rovert flagged. But I remember Austin having a dig as well maybe a year/2 years ago when Punk had exploded, saying that he still needed to make a sizeable step up.

Then again, both guys put together a thoroughly entertaining interview for WWE13, which would suggest to me that both guys aren't exactly at each other's throats. Maybe Stone Cold's just on the wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I didn't hear about that tweet so just googled - is it this one?

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/07/07/cm-punk-stone-cold-in-twitter-altercation/

Looks like they are both just two friends slagging each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Chump ass punk. Brilliant. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Austin said very, very recently...as in days ago i think...on Larry King that Punk is the match he wants if he were to have one more match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Here we are then. skip to 2.25

He's doing an ask me anything on Reddit today. Im sure it will come up again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

The man is a legend, I'd love to see him back in any role - he was my idol 15 years ago... That being said, the match against punk would be a dream match! Amazing Fan made promo video, which really makes it look like it could really work:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

that was really well made except the background music not sure what that was about, but DAMN it gave me goosebumps, make it happen Vince

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

montyrebel wrote: »
    that was really well made except the background music not sure what that was about, but DAMN it gave me goosebumps, make it happen Vince

Austin had the horn for it:
    T1nZ521.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I have no desire to see Austin in a wrestling ring ever again and I was a big fan of his from 1997 on. Save for the Kurt Angle matches his last year in the WWF sucked (Summer 2001-2002) and his plethora of appearances since 2003 to drink beer, sing and stun people were tough to watch. His Mania XIX match was a good note to end on.<br />
    <br />
    That people are even talking about Austin needing protecting in the ring doesn't bode well.<br />
    <br />
    The Rock headlined two Manias in a row and 'hosted' one as well as a short run with the main title. I'm sure he got well paid for that but I wonder would Austin settle for a lesser deal in a crummy spot? - matches for 'control' of a promotion are like so 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

I have no desire to see Austin in a wrestling ping ever again and I was a big fan of his from 1997 on. Save for the Kurt Angle matches his last year in the WWF sucked (Summer 2001-2002) and his plethora of appearances since 2003 to drink beer, sing and stun people were tough to watch. His Mania XIX match was a good note to end on.

That people are even talking about Austin needing protecting in the ring doesn't bode well.

The Rock headlined two Manias in a row and 'hosted' one as well as a short run with the main title. I'm sure he got well paid for that but I wonder would Austin settle for a lesser deal in a crummy spot? - matches for 'control' of a promotion are like so 1999.

I agree with this. Just because he feels like he could wrestle again doesn't necessarily mean he should. I don't think anybody wants Austin to come back just to have a match resembling the Hart/McMahon ordeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

I have no desire to see Austin in a wrestling ring ever again and I was a big fan of his from 1997 on. Save for the Kurt Angle matches his last year in the WWF sucked (Summer 2001-2002) .

2001 was a very good year for Austin in the ring, arguably his best in the WWE.

Three Stages of hell vs HHH
    Wrestlemania 17 vs The Rock
    His series of matches with Benoit
    Two man Power trip vs Benoit & Jericho (the match where HHH injured his quad)
    Triple Threat KOR match
    His series of matches vs Angle
    Undisputed championship match vs Jericho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Punk-Austin could be great. Have to say past icon v new icons has gotten so so old at wrestlemania. It's like there are trying to recreate and milk Hogan/Rock. The thing was Hogan/Rock was in no way forced it almost happened by accident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Totally agree re: these 'Legend vs Icon matches'. WWE plug the myth of WrestleMania so heavily talking about the history making moments and all that but in the last half decade or so they've given up even trying to let the younger wrestlers shine at the 'showcase of the immortals' :rolleyes:

WrestleMania 21 was the last time they let the younger wrestlers shine in the top spots with Cena and Batista getting pushed with the belt. You could maybe add Edge's Mania 24 match with Taker but Edge was buried in that feud, literally buried under the ring in their Cell match. The last couple of Manias have just been highlighted or headlined by the big stars (though Punk did steal the show this year despite playing third fiddle to the H/Lesnar and Rock/Cena matches).

Steve Austin's wrestling return at Mania 30 if it happens will be forgotten in a few years much like Rock's will. Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully Austin addresses the rumours in his podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    If Austin were to face Punk, that would mean yet another turn for Punk. He'd be heading for Big Show territory if he turned again so soon.

Could easily be a temporary turn ala HBK (against Hogan or Cena) for the purposes of the fued I should think.

Ridley wrote: »
    Could easily be a temporary turn ala HBK (against Hogan or Cena) for the purposes of the fued I should think.

It would be worse if it were a half assed turn like that.

Michaels was different. Had he been a heel at all since the original DX? He was more or less always babyface since his return so it was more believable for him to have a short turn. Punk however, was heel as recently as a month or two back. Doing those little month long turns would push him into Big Show territory a lot quicker than a full turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thing is is he comes back he has too go over so who will it hurt the least too put him over? Hhh or Punk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/18914/report-wrestlemania-30-main-event-scrapped

Now its looking like HHH vs The Rock, why do I get the feeling it`ll involve a lot of going into business for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Since we have already seen Vince is "very against" Daniel Bryan who HHH favours, let Vince get Kurt Angle back to WWE so it could be Daniel Bryan (HHH in his corner) Vs Kurt Angle (Vince is his corner) maybe get Shane O Mac as ref and Steph as ring announcer

SCSA, Lesnar, HBK and The Rock have been rumoured for a match for WM 30 so lets add Angle too :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Austin doing anything at WrestleMania will have me throwing all my money at Vince McMahon!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ciano316 wrote: »
    Austin doing anything at WrestleMania will have me throwing all my money at Vince McMahon!!!

me too - in a f*cking heartbeat!

Never got to see Austin live - even though he was my IDOL growing up! (as I am sure is true for most people in here!)

he did a bit of in ring action on the last season of tough enough, looks like he could still go - I just hope they don't do some pointless middle of the card, bret hart vs vince mcmahon-esque match! (jesus they had a storyline 17 years in the making and still managed to f*ck it up!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Bit of fantasy booking:

Brock to either destroy Punk or Punk to get a win against the run of play followed by Brock trying to destroy him, only for Rock to come out and make the save, setting up Mania.

Bryan to beat Cena, Orton to cash in and then Bryan to reverse RKO into La Belle lock and beat him too.

Survivor Series - tag between Punk/Rock v Orton/Brock

Mania - Brock v Rock
    Cena v Taker
    Bryan v Punk for title.

None of this will happen but I enjoyed thinking about it while out for a long walk today!

This is slightly off topic but is somewhat linked to this post but imo the next match for the streak needs to involve the title. I just cannot see the Undertaker losing in a non-title match because he can just disappear straight away after but with a title match because he has to appear for a while afterwords make puts more doubt in the mind. It was one thing that put me off the Punk vs Taker match from this year the fact that there wasnt really much doubt to it. Taker was always going to win that.

Anyway my ideal main event for next years mania. Cena vs Taker for the title.:)

kksaints wrote: »
    This is slightly off topic but is somewhat linked to this post but imo the next match for the streak needs to involve the title. I just cannot see the Undertaker losing in a non-title match because he can just disappear straight away after but with a title match because he has to appear for a while afterwords make puts more doubt in the mind. It was one thing that put me off the Punk vs Taker match from this year the fact that there wasnt really much doubt to it. Taker was always going to win that.

Anyway my ideal main event for next years mania. Cena vs Taker for the title.:)

Imagine the heart attacks when Cena hits the AA late in the match :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Imagine the heart attacks when Cena hits the AA late in the match :pac:

Basically Cena is the only person who I think that the wwe would consider ending the streak for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I have to agree here although that will only happen if the undertaker wants it to happen. yes a 500 day champion vs 20-0 undefeated undertaker gives doubt in many minds although the same type of feud could happen with Y2J vs Undertaker for IC title (which undertaker has never won). I believe Y2J has the most IC title reigns whereas undertaker is undefeated at WM. there is a fued that could be electric. loser leaves WWE (for a while at least). have Y2J run his mouth saying he has done everything he can do it wwe he beat the rock and austin the one night etc.

As both performers are part time it would be a perfect feud in line with wwe's recent reliance on part time performers. have Cena vs Dolph Punk vs Lesnar or Byran (if lesnar have dolph vs bryan instead of cena). Give the universe what they want Vince a main event of Cena vs Orton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

lycan238 wrote: »
    I have to agree here although that will only happen if the undertaker wants it to happen. yes a 500 day champion vs 20-0 undefeated undertaker gives doubt in many minds although the same type of feud could happen with Y2J vs Undertaker for IC title (which undertaker has never won). I believe Y2J has the most IC title reigns whereas undertaker is undefeated at WM. there is a fued that could be electric. loser leaves WWE (for a while at least). have Y2J run his mouth saying he has done everything he can do it wwe he beat the rock and austin the one night etc.

As both performers are part time it would be a perfect feud in line with wwe's recent reliance on part time performers. have Cena vs Dolph Punk vs Lesnar or Byran (if lesnar have dolph vs bryan instead of cena). Give the universe what they want Vince a main event of Cena vs Orton.

I dunno, maybe I'm an odd one but I've ****all interest in Cena vs Orton. Rock vs Stone Cold with both returning is still my ideal main event (although incredibly unlikely) even if neither are what they were in 1999. Would necessitate both of them doing the full Raw schedule in the buildup though. Raw was always what Stone Cold did best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

CSF wrote: »
    I dunno, maybe I'm an odd one but I've ****all interest in Cena vs Orton. Rock vs Stone Cold with both returning is still my ideal main event (although incredibly unlikely) ...

haha I was joking of course however this has the potential to be the main event with the way the cards are stacked at the moment. yes that is an ideal main event. anything but cena taker is good for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

moved some posts from the Summerslam thread as they were just WM XXX speculation... speaking of which and of the top of my head:

Main Event: John Cena (c) vs The Undertaker & his streak

Brock Lesnar vs The Rock

CM Punk vs SCSA

HHH (face) Represented by Daniel Bryan vs Vince McMahon represented by Randy Orton

The Wyatts vs The Shield

Rey Mysterio & Sin Cara vs "The Real Americans" Jack Swagger & Antonio Cesaro (Tag titles match)

AJ Lee vs Random Diva (or just maybe Steph!) for The Divas title

WHC 6 Pack challenge : ADR vs Sandow vs Ziggler vs Mark Henry vs Ryback vs Sheamus (or any variation on these names, Jericho, Christian, Rhodes, Kane etc)

ok the last one might be a reach to fit folk on the card, I dont actually expect Steph to get involved though thatd be nice and ive no idea how the Wyatts vs The Shield would work plus would Rocky want to work with Brock after getting injured vs Cena i dunno...

having said that I can def see Rey/Sin Cara & Swagger/Cesaro feud at some point when Rey is back. Also it would be nice if Taker went on last and vs Cena and with the WWE Title on the line he would have to, atleast then nobody would have to try and fail to follow the streak match in terms of crowd reaction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I agree that the Shield and the Wyatts is something that is in the pipeline for Mania, just not sure the Wyatt Family will carry momentum that far. Bray Wyatt seems to be the only one with real potential and the Kane feud is dull so far. Really wanted them to excite aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Bryan or Punk will win the Rumble match and face Cena or Orton for the WWE title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

6 Pack challenge

I do wish They'd resurrect the tag variant of the Six Pack Challenge.

And the Championship Scramble. Doesn't have to be a PPV match. Put it on Smackdown as a #1 contender's match or something! Just bring the match back. (But change the whole "[Bob Loblaw] is the current [X] Champion" during the match to something less convoluted like, oh I don't know, an on-screen notification.)

----

Underaker vs Cena should happen. Keep going back to it but Cena slapping on the STF in the middle of the ring would really scare the crowd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think Bryan or Punk will win the Rumble match and face Cena or Orton for the WWE title

I think if SCSA is actually going to be involved in Mania XXX then it simply has to be vs Punk. Obviously if Austin isn't then Punk could win the rumble but otherwise I can't see that.

I also think that Cena vs Taker has to happen at this Mania as it is simply the biggest streak match available to them and the one guy that people would believe and fear could break the streak (he wont though) and a way booth Cena & Takers streak match could go on last and not have to be followed. Personally id have it with the title involved but it's possible the WWE wouldnt do that and that would leave it open that someone like Bryan could win the Rumble and go on to fight for the WWE title against someone like Orton.

Hell maybe that could play into the HHH/Vince feud as I eluded to before. Have Bryan beat Cena and the fans go batsh!t nuts for it then boom, Orton cash in, heel turn and RKO and 3 count on Bryan. Have it be revealed that Vince orchestrated the whole thing getting Orton to do the cash in as he doesn't want Bryan to be champion as he thinks it would be embarrassing for the company. Also have Vince block Bryan getting a rematch against Orton but as he keeps chasing the title and going up against the heel boss and champion (now with trips support) Bryan stays super over and the crowd are begging for him to get another title shot. He wins the Rumble and gets the shot that Vince was blocking at Mania where with HHH in his corner (Vince in Orton's) he gets his Wrestlemania moment and wins the WWE title.

As much as I'd love to see Austin back, it can only be done if they let him go all out, as the beer guzzlin', mudhole stompin', head wobblin', bird flippin', Texas Rattlesnake.

If it's the watered down Austin that they've had appear in recent times, no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

He wins the Rumble and gets the shot that Vince was blocking at Mania where with HHH in his corner (Vince in Orton's) he gets his Wrestlemania moment and wins the WWE title.

If that happens, it'd be great if Vince put him in the rumble at #1 and have him go all the way then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement