Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tankless water heater, amp requirement.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

they seem to vary from 16 to 31 amp

so prob wont be suitable

you'd get the non-instantaneous type water heater prob at 5amp or thereabouts

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

they seem to vary from 16 to 31 amp

so prob wont be suitable

you'd get the non-instantaneous type water heater prob at 5amp or thereabouts

I thought as much............but the full total of my leccy expertise can be

written with a big sharpie, on a very small stamp.:D

thanks.

Now to find an alternative.....

• Registered Users Posts: 41 onliner

I see that the only heaters now available are 3.7kW 4.5kW & 5.5kW. The amps at 220 volts are 16.8, 20.46 & 25. Too much for campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Your web link specified between 3.7 to 7.3 kW at 230 volts.

If yoy want to know the current ,in amps, at this voltage then multiply the kW rating by 4.5

For example a 3.7 kW unit will draw 3.7 x 4.5 = 17 amps

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oshea1paul

Hi All,

I picked up one of these units and had my plumber install the other day. Think he has not done it correctly as only way to get the water hot enough is to reduce the flow to next to nothing.

The unit I got was 4,5 kW 230V Instant Water Heater. It is a 16amp unit which he has connected via wall socket and a 13amp plug. I am not a sparks or plumber but this is in my opinion what is causing the issue. He tells me wiring it any other way will not make a difference.
    Surely it should be connected like a electric cooker with its own switch etc.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

oshea1paul wrote: »
    Hi All,

I picked up one of these units and had my plumber install the other day. Think he has not done it correctly as only way to get the water hot enough is to reduce the flow to next to nothing.

The unit I got was 4,5 kW 230V Instant Water Heater. It is a 16amp unit which he has connected via wall socket and a 13amp plug. I am not a sparks or plumber but this is in my opinion what is causing the issue. He tells me wiring it any other way will not make a difference.

Thanks

4.5kW should draw close to 20Amps, not 16. More than the plug and socket is rated for, I expect it is getting warm!

However it's not the cause of the slow heating.

What temperature rise are you trying to achieve with what water flow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

oshea1paul wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks

If you want a wash temperature of say 41C from water currently at around 6C then the flow from a 4.5 KW heater will be 1.84 LPM, (4.5*860/(41-6)/60) which is certainly more than a trickle, in fact it would/should be exactly "1/2" of what a 9.0 Kw electric shower should give. On the other hand if for some reason you have a 5A heater which I saw mentioned somewhere else then you will have a 1.15 Kw heater (5*230/1000) which will give 0.47 LPM, (1.15*860/(41-6)/60) which will be nearer to a trickle but can still give one self a good lick with.

Advertisement