Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Vrt Refusal!

• 18-07-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi Lads I'm looking for some help here big time and don't know where to start!:confused:
    I have some mate's with endure motorbikes and I wanted to get 1 to as I do a bit of weekend driven up the mountains.
    I bought a Rear bike which is a 2004 Honda CR250R road certified and road registered on a English plate, VRT is €99. the bike has speedo, front and rear lights all working 100%. the only thing I am missing is mileage clock and indicators! switch's is there for indicators but never put on.
    The guy Refused to change the English cert (V5 Form) to a Irish cert because of this!
    I had everything else in place.
    So basically I'm asking can they refuse to change over certs?
    I thought there is No test for bikes? and only Vin numbers had to match up to the cert?
    I was only there to change the cert to an Irish cert and he gave my bike a look over asking me about this and that?:eek:
    Any info on this matter lads?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Andy111111 wrote: »
    Hi Lads I'm looking for some help here big time and don't know where to start!:confused:
    I have some mate's with endure motorbikes and I wanted to get 1 to as I do a bit of weekend driven up the mountains.
    I bought a Rear bike which is a 2004 Honda CR250R road certified and road registered on a English plate, VRT is €99. the bike has speedo, front and rear lights all working 100%. the only thing I am missing is mileage clock and indicators! switch's is there for indicators but never put on.
    The guy Refused to change the English cert (V5 Form) to a Irish cert because of this!
    I had everything else in place.
    So basically I'm asking can they refuse to change over certs?
    I thought there is No test for bikes? and only Vin numbers had to match up to the cert?
    I was only there to change the cert to an Irish cert and he gave my bike a look over asking me about this and that?:eek:
    Any info on this matter lads?

all vehicles registered here in ireland must meet some criteria in order to do so--> tacho, indicators is a must. etc

correct me if i am wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bikerguy wrote: »
    all vehicles registered here in ireland must meet some criteria in order to do so--> tacho, indicators is a must. etc

Indicators are not compulsory if fitted they have to work.
    Mileage clock. Could you get a Bicycle speedo and stick it on Odo Function and make sure it works?
    If that NCT centre is being a bollox go to another one, surely there must be another close to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Andy111111

The nearest Nct centre is in Tipp town. I have a speedo fitted but it don't show mileage and he said it must.
    Indicators are not fitted to Honda xr's, Suzuki drz. Honda crf450x-crf250x and KTM's,
    A lot of enduro don't come with indicators.
    I have a mate that managed to get a road legal quad under farm insurance Irish Registered.
    But indicators will be fitted soon, Clock not to sure about but if all comes to all I will fit 1 of my mates forks with clocks for the day.
    I just never heard of any one from anywhere being refused VRT payment regardless if theres lights or not weather the bike is going on the road or not.
    I always thought it would have been the guards job for that.
    At the moment theres no nct for bikes and no tests so just wondering why he checked my bike.
    If I vrt a car they check it then book it in for NCT!
    If I get refused again I'm going to ask for a writing letter signed and dated with valid reason why they are refused to VRT my bike.
    Hopefully Il have a case with the revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

There are a lot of absolute twats in the NCT places. Now that they've seen switches for indicators you'll either have to remove the switches or fit indicators (they get very fixated on these things). Believe it or not i had a jeep get fails on the sheet because of a switch for extra spotlights that it didnt have anymore, the indicators supposedly not working (which they did actually) and the rear fold away seats being folded away. Ridiculous little combination of reasons

Do try a different centre, but if they're looking for a mileage count on your speedo and indicators and thats all then you may as well just get them or prepare for a long war of words and letters.

And to think you're actually trying to pay tax to the state....

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dbmauser

bang on a set of indicaters or go to a different centre. you can either comply and vrt the bike or dont comply and not reg it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

they need to see the mileage on it to see if they can sting you with VAT at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

thats a point dont put 0 miles on the speedo or they'll vat you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dbmauser wrote: »
    bang on a set of indicaters or go to a different centre. you can either comply and vrt the bike or dont comply and not reg it

There's no need for indicators, or lights, once the switch is removed all they need is a odometer showing 6001km:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Bikerguy wrote: »

No they don't.

The bike is already registered and ergo Type Approved, in the EU (UK).

As such NCT guys cannot refuse to register it here.

There is no requirement for a bike to have indicators legally. Only that, if fitted, they work.

Let us know how you get on: I have an enduro to reg myself.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's no need for indicators, or lights, once the switch is removed all they need is a odometer showing 6001km:D

A speedo is required - not sure about an odometer tbh........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote: »
    A speedo is required - not sure about an odometer tbh........

I've never seen an odometer without a speedo somehow attached, I know you can get speedos with an odometer.

OP - here's the official response from the RSA TODAY:

"1. No, indicators are not mandatory on motorcycles. For more detail please refer to part III of the relevant Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations 1963 to 1996 Link

2. However, Since 2005, all new motorcycles registered in Ireland are required to be type approved. These type approval requirements mandate that indicators are fitted. Please click on the following link to access the relevant legislation : http://www.rsa.ie/PageFiles/2735/SI%20127%20of%202009%20Motor%20Vehicle%20Type%20Approval.pdf

3. No, odometers on mechanically propelled vehicles are not a legal requirement under Irish Law."

So, for your bike (2004)
    1. You are not required to have indicators.
    2. You are not required to have an odometer.
    3. You must have a speedometer.

If you want the lady's name in the RSA, pm me and I'll send it to you and NCT/her can thrash it out.

Ode To The Motorist

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've never seen an odometer without a speedo somehow attached, I know you can get speedos with an odometer.

Trials/Enduro bikes have speedo's and no odo's.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

fit a gn125 style speedo with enough miles, i doubt theyll check it actually works haha

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Andy111111

Just a update if anyone interested.
    My 04 Honda CR 250 R has been on a Irish Plate over a year now.
    I put a clock off a older enduro on it.
    It wasnt wired up or anything, He just wanted to see a clock with milage on it.
    It is now fully insured and taxed.
    Thanks for the posts.

Advertisement