Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD Hard drive siren noise-remedy sought

Options
  • 18-07-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

my WD320BEVS-26vat0 hard drive is not being seen by my laptop and will not boot up and it has a siren noise - 5 pulses of the noise then repeats after a short 1-2 sec break.

Using Windows RE does not help as it says Unknown on unknown local disk.

A web search shows that the siren is down to stuck spindle and/or armon the platter (s). I do not know how many platters it has.

There is an option to load drivers but i do not know where to download these - i have looked on WD's own website and cannot find anything there and other drivers websites have come up with nothing useful. It is from a Toshiba laptop and again nothing is there.

Can anyone suggest a solution to get the drive working to enable data to be taken off, also is it better to copy files / folders a few at a time or do a full clone backup and to where - to my other working laptop's drive (from where i can copy / transfer to a new drive) or from the rescued drive direct to a new drive using my working laptop as a go between?

Thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's a hardware problem so not much to do with windows.

And windows isn't a good OS for data recovery since it just loves to step in and offer to format drives for the lulz when it's not getting upset over something else

recheck the interweb for solutions like gently tapping the drive or changing it's orientation - at this stage you might only get one chance so don't be trying lots of different things

get the pmagic Live CD
    this will allow you to see the SMART info on the drive (if it's recognised) and allow some basic data recovery

can't remember if it has ddrescue but that's your best bet for pulling everything off the drive - I don't know what's on it so I can't tell you what to pull off first , if the drive is recognised grab the important stuff first, ddrescue is when you want to scrape binary off bare metal into an image that you can look at later on ( though photorec is one way of pulling stuff out of the image )

put the drive in a desktop - standard sata cables and all

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the drive is dead more than likely.

If you really need data from it, put a price on it, and be ready to pay it. Recovery from a dead drive can vary anywhere from 100-1600, depending on the severity of the damage, but most typical failures wont hurt you any more than 200-300. 1600 is what we quoted the FBI once for a lad who busted up a hard drive something fierce in the precious seconds before the cops broke his door in. We pulled enough to convict him from what I hear.

Advertisement