Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner swimmer - snorkel and mask

• 18-07-2013 11:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

I may get sneered here but here I go.
    I'm just a learner swimmer and would like to buy a snorkel and mask to help me with my swimming. Im in my 30's so its a big learning curve for me -- Getting arms right, legs right, co ordination of body and legs and all the time getting over my fear of water and then factor in breathing and its just alot to think of. i.e. I'm thinking the mask and snorkel would allow me to concentrate on my arms and legs first and floating etc without having to concentrate too much on breathing ( well for a while anyways )

Does a snorkel and mask sound like a good idea for my situation ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I used one for ages. Perfect to get the technique right and actually build on endurance so you feel like you've exercised and not just battled breathing all the time!

After awhile I would split my swim and use snorkel for a bit then no snorkel, eventually I didn't need it anymore. I used a Finis swimmers snorkel, no mask, it's designed for this.

This is the one I used http://am723.blogspot.ie/2012/08/aquagear-swim-shop-finis-swimmers.html

I got it on eBay or amazon. Later I got a different style, same make. Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I used one for ages. Perfect to get the technique right and actually build on endurance so you feel like you've exercised and not just battled breathing all the time!

After awhile I would split my swim and use snorkel for a bit then no snorkel, eventually I didn't need it anymore. I used a Finis swimmers snorkel, no mask, it's designed for this.

This is the one I used http://am723.blogspot.ie/2012/08/aquagear-swim-shop-finis-swimmers.html

I got it on eBay or amazon. Later I got a different style, same make. Good luck!

Thanks for that helpful reply
    So not a totally stoopid idea ; )
    Would you say a standard mask and snorkle would do ?
    I'm not great at keeping my eyes open either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Well I wore normal goggles as well. Some people like to use a nose clip with it too as they find it difficult to seperate the nose and mouth breathing. I dunno much about standard snorkels but because this was designed for swimmers its the one I went for. The centre mount of the snorkel reduces drag which you would probably have with a standard snorkel? I dont know, Im only familiar with what I used myself.

I dont think its a stupid idea at all but I do think that it should be considered an aid to get to where you are going. Ultimately its best to take the plunge and learn the breathing. But this allows you to swim for a long period of time without getting worn out trying to do the breathing up front. Well it did for me anyway.

Before I got it I would only manage 20 lengths (that were a real struggle) before giving up because I was worn out and frustrated. When I got this I went from 20 lengths to 100 lengths in no time - and I wasnt feeling frustrated and headachey from trying to breathe. Over a period of weeks I got a bit more confidence and patience in the water and then I began to do 90 lengths with snorkel, 10 without, then 80 with, 20 without etc until one day I just didnt bring it out and that was it.

Advertisement