Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALC Part-time admin jobs

Options
  • 19-07-2013 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

I just saw the ALC advertising for part-time admin staff for the 2013 college year.
    Have any students done this, whats the work/pay like? Is it flexable at all, like around exam time etc? What are they looking for when hiring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Howiya, deleted my old account the guts of a year ago but still browse this and thought I can answer better than most.

I worked at this a couple of years ago, great place to work part-time, best part time job I ever had.

The hours vary depending on staffing numbers but can be anywhere between 8-20 hours a week. Pay is about 9.50 an hour from what I remember.

They're very flexible when it comes to exams and allow you to take exam weeks off if you need to.

As to what they're looking for, mainly very good basic computing skills (excel, word), good telephone manner, good people skills and get used to lots of filing and fixing computers ;).

Seriously good place to work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Holy hell, someone actually got one of those jobs? Lucky git, I applied for that every year, as did everyone I knew. Seemed like such a handy place to work. I imagine at least half the campus went for it every year, though.

To be honest, I had no idea they were in high demand, I got the impression there had never been that many applications for it, clearly not :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Just wondering if anyone who worked here before can answer this ,
    Did you have admin experience before ? Just hoping that my past employment will be an advantage !

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yellow belly du

Anybody hear back from them yet? Deadline was last Friday so just wondering if anybody has been contacted for an interview.

• Advertisement

Anybody hear back from them yet? Deadline was last Friday so just wondering if anybody has been contacted for an interview.

When I worked there it took a while after the deadline to get to the interview stage, could be next week or the beginning of the following week before you hear anything.

I got an email saying : thank you for your application. We will be in touch with applicants towards the end of August

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yellow belly du

Thanks for that. Just curious as the successful applicants are due to start at the end of August so I was thinking that there might be a quicker than usual selection process as it’s only 2 weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I got no email. :/ Do you know if many else got it? Anyone here get it/not get it?

This is the email :

Dear haro124,

Thank you for your application. We will be in touch with applicants
    towards the end of August.

Thank you for your interest in the UCD Applied Language Centre.

Recruitment Section
    Applied Language Centre
    University College Dublin
    Belfield
    Dublin 4
    Ireland

• Advertisement

@canard did you drop it in or email it ? If you dropped it in it might have only been people who emailed their applications who got responses to prove it had been received ?

haro124 wrote: »
    @canard did you drop it in or email it ? If you dropped it in it might have only been people who emailed their applications who got responses to prove it had been received ?
    Ah, that makes sense, I did drop it in. :) Hopefully that's all it was anyway!

They really are leaving this very late ! Presumed the positions would start next Monday ?

Maybe none of us got it. </3 :pac:

Canard wrote: »
    Maybe none of us got it. </3 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

They won't, 99% of jobs won't contact people who don't get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SmoothER

I rang there earlier asking if there was any news, cos the email did say they be in touch with applicants but the guy said they had so many they couldn't get back to everyone. Maybe they didn't like my picture:(

Sure everything for a reason I guess.

When they extended the deadline I presumed they got very few applicants but guess an awful lot of people applied after that

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Most oversubscribed job in history?

Positions: 4
    Applicants: over 9,000!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Just saw that more jobs (or the same) have been posted yesterday looking for graduates to do 35 hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement