Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

airtricity smart meter (usage monitor)

Options
  • 19-07-2013 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hiya,

I purchased second hand (as new) airtricity smart meter (usage monitor).
    I'm having trouble to get this to read to usage.
    I managed to set-up time, day rate and night rate, and I think I managed to pair the both devices.

The problem I have that once I connect the device at the meter then the meter doesn't show even near to the 9,5kW usage once pumped power shower is on. The meter shows something about 4 something but the way it reads things is not in '000 or kW.

Similar thing happens when I swich on the kettle. It also seems that the decimals on the meter are set incorrect.

The meter doesn't see the smaller appliances or lights (reads nothing when LED lights are on).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cluelez

I'm scratching my head around that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

to ask the obvious question, you've got the split core around one cable, not two? And is it around the heavier cable (if you have 2 pairs, like with a night rate meter)

Dardania wrote: »
    to ask the obvious question, you've got the split core around one cable, not two? And is it around the heavier cable (if you have 2 pairs, like with a night rate meter)

I got split core around the heavier cable (at the transmitter)

My esb meter is a digital meter with day/night functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

None of these check meters read very small loads.I have an owl monitor and it doesn't register my LED lights either. It will register the load once it goes higher than the minimum it is capable of reading.

As for the rest,your explanation is clear as mud I'm afraid so I can't help further!

This may be of help to you though http://www.airtricity.com/ie/home/help-centre-ie/smart-energy-monitor/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

cluelez wrote: »

So at the heavier cable, is it around the entire cable (eg the grey sheathing) or one of the individual cores (brown or blue)? It should be around the blue or brown, not the grey.

If after that, still no joy, either as superg says its not very sensitive, or else my experience was difficulty with pairing it / reliable radio frequency connection...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

superg wrote: »
    None of these check meters read very small loads.I have an owl monitor and it doesn't register my LED lights either. It will register the load once it goes higher than the minimum it is capable of reading.

Yea the resolution of them is low. If for example you keep switching on more and more loads, each of which is too small to register an increased reading on its own, eventually they will all register together when they add up to more than the meters resolution, fooling people into thinking the last small load which caused a response, is taking a higher wattage than it should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

cluelez wrote: »

Post photos of the clamp setup.

Dardania wrote: »
    So at the heavier cable, is it around the entire cable (eg the grey sheathing) or one of the individual cores (brown or blue)? It should be around the blue or brown, not the grey.

this is the correct answer.

It should be around the brown, not the grey.

Advertisement