Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing/ Social Care

Options
  • 06-07-2013 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice or tips as to how to have the best chance to get a college place. I want to do either nursing or social care. I sat the assessment exam for nursing in April but didn't get the points I needed to get a place. I think I focused so much on the nursing exam, I done prep days and studied hard it was one section on the exam that let me down, I done good on the other 3 sections. I also didn't add any social degrees on my CAO application as I felt I didn't have enough of a back up to even stand a chance for interview. So I want to prepare this year for next year.

I have secured a place on a FETAC pre nursing in sept but now i'm thinking of switching to a FETAC social studies course instead as it would give me a base for my interview next year for social care if I got one where as, as a mature I will still have to sit the nursing exam next year. There's no interview for nursing and very little hope of getting it through FETAC. Does anyone know anything about the social care interview for matures?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Moved to Thread of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tinfoilhead

Karolyn wrote: »
    Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice or tips as to how to have the best chance to get a college place. I want to do either nursing or social care. I sat the assessment exam for nursing in April but didn't get the points I needed to get a place. I think I focused so much on the nursing exam, I done prep days and studied hard it was one section on the exam that let me down, I done good on the other 3 sections. I also didn't add any social degrees on my CAO application as I felt I didn't have enough of a back up to even stand a chance for interview. So I want to prepare this year for next year.

I have secured a place on a FETAC pre nursing in sept but now i'm thinking of switching to a FETAC social studies course instead as it would give me a base for my interview next year for social care if I got one where as, as a mature I will still have to sit the nursing exam next year. There's no interview for nursing and very little hope of getting it through FETAC. Does anyone know anything about the social care interview for matures?

Hi karolyn
    I applied for nursing and social care last year, I didn't get a place in either. I did a fetac 5 as a healthcare assistant (same as pre nursing) and did a few hours volunteering in different things. I applied this year again this time I left the nursing out(after doing a year I decided it wasn't really for me) and put social care and a couple of other related courses on my CAO. I got offered my first level 7 and level 8 choices for social care this year.
    The pre nursing course together with a small bit of volunteering got me a place. Anyway hope this helps.....Good Luck

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Hi karolyn
    I applied for nursing and social care last year, I didn't get a place in either. I did a fetac 5 as a healthcare assistant (same as pre nursing) and did a few hours volunteering in different things. I applied this year again this time I left the nursing out(after doing a year I decided it wasn't really for me) and put social care and a couple of other related courses on my CAO. I got offered my first level 7 and level 8 choices for social care this year.
    The pre nursing course together with a small bit of volunteering got me a place. Anyway hope this helps.....Good Luck
    I agree with this. I did the fetac HCA course too and applied for nursing and social care and got offered my first choice nursing and first choice social care. I only applied for nursing last year and got nothing. It's the work experience that really helps with the nursing aptitude test I think, especially if you can get it in a hospital and work with student nurses. Was it the job sim that let you down? That was my downfall last year. It's tough! And I thought it was tougher this year.

The social care course I was offered was just based on an aptitude test too, but it was much easier than the nursing one. Just testing your English writing and comprehension skills and some maths. Reading books and newspapers is the best way to prepare for that I think.

Advertisement