Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vigorous semi evergreen climber

• 19-07-2013 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a corner of the house that an evergreen hedge runs up to... I have trellis attached to the side of the extension there is a foot gap between boundary fence and extension .. I dug out an area down to the soil and planted setotina and another climber they have spread ok but not as vigerous as I would have liked ... I also have trellis on back wall of extension it has climbed a bit onto that but again was hoping it might have covered a bit more than it has .... I don't want an ivy as I don't want it sticking to my wall plaste I have trellis fitted out a bit from the wall so as not to damage it in years to come ... Any suggestions !? See pics shows what's there .. At mo ... Want to add one appropriate plant not take any away ... Thks paddy... The attach pic icon is gone I will put them on next post

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How long has it been there? Most climbers would not really get going until the third year in. Clematis montana is vigorous, though not evergreen, and probably too vigorous for a one foot space, especially with two plants in there already, they would just strangle each other. Solanum is another vigorous possibility, but again how much space will it have available to spread into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

looksee wrote: »
    How long has it been there? Most climbers would not really get going until the third year in. Clematis montana is vigorous, though not evergreen, and probably too vigorous for a one foot space, especially with two plants in there already, they would just strangle each other. Solanum is another vigorous possibility, but again how much space will it have available to spread into?

Thanks a lot for your reply ... What i was hoping to do initially was to run the climber all across the back of the extension ( builder did poor job on dash!) and there is a large gap of maybe 12foot along side of ext ..semi d ...it's only a foot in width but it could grow away between neighbour fence and side wall of extension if you follow .. Wanted it to look ok in winter not care like clematis .... I would be planting this in actual garden soil just beside the plants I have in ..... I had to take up the path there and plant those two in about 3 yrs ago ... I dug down to soil I feel the roots may be hitting concrete at one side and dying off slightly but should come back when roots grow out further where there is soil and no concrete ! Thks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A Potatoe vine would be a nice one to plant........Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin' is a nice one to plant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Heres the Solanum Jasminoides (white potatoe vine).

Its rather nice,when its growing away in the garden and the bees are buzzing around it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

I'll second that on the potato vine. Very vigorous and our one flowered from July up till early November.

• Advertisement
Advertisement