Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banks that have a coin counting machine?

Options
  • 19-07-2013 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows any banks (AIB if possible, city centre or south Dublin) that have a coin counting machine? We collect our copper coins in a jar and count them into little labelled plastic bags (as advised by the bank) maybe once a year and bring them to the local bank then. It's usually almost 200 Euro, so the counting takes quite a long time. I know there are machines in some supermarkets, but the charges on those are way too high I think. Do any banks do this for free? I know this would be pretty standard in Germany for example, but over here banks usually don't seem to have these?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Banks weight bags here. Any bank will do it but i believe the last bank I went into tried to charge me for lodging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

peteb2 wrote: »
    Banks weight bags here. Any bank will do it but i believe the last bank I went into tried to charge me for lodging it.

They always make us count them into their little plastic bags, a certain amount of coins has to go in each bag. They then weigh them to confirm we counted them right. It's so much hassle though!

you just said you already counted them into labelled back as per the banks advice. So whats the problem? No bank will take them if they are not in those bags.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Best thing you can do is to go into the likes of Tesco and pay for groceries with them at the self service machine. They take quite a few coins in one go without clogging, no fee to have it counted either. All of it goes off your grocery shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

peteb2 wrote: »
    you just said you already counted them into labelled back as per the banks advice. So whats the problem? No bank will take them if they are not in those bags.

It's not really a problem, I was just wondering if anyone knows a bank that has a machine that counts them for you. Like I said, I've seen this in other countries - they just pour all the coins in the top, the machine counts them within a few minutes and displays the total and you get your money back in notes. It takes an entire afternoon to count and sort them manually and I don't have that much time at the moment.

• Advertisement

Then the answer is No.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I just fill a coffee jar and take it to the shops and use the machine.

OK I have to pay a significant enough charge to do so, but what's more important... a few quid saved or maybe a half day wasted counting stacks of coins.

Advertisement