Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish employment legislation book

• 19-07-2013 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I would like to learn more about the employment legislation applicable in Ireland and I would like you to advise me on a book.

I would like to buy a book that states comprehensively the Irish employment legislation and that also contains some case study. The book needs to be very comprehensive and accurate because I will be using it in my everyday job.

Could you please advise me on the best existing book that I could use professionally?

Many thanks in advance,

PL.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

http://www.legalbooks.ie/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=215&osCsid=81cebc8061b739e3b33ebfc6eb7faf12
    The Law Society Manual on Employment Law. €65.

There used to be a great book which was aimed at employers, called "Working Within the Law" by Frances Meenan (1999). Unfortunately, it's very out of date. Even so, if it is read alongside an up to date text, it still has its uses.

Caselaw is mentioned in these books, but there are no case studies of practical examples, as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I've used Principles of Irish Employment Law (Daly, Doherty), which is fairly recent.

It's only alright, like it's well written but as with most "Principles of..." books, you'll have to do additional work for detail.

Working within the law was a great one but hasn't been updated for years. I hate using old books because even though you can read up on the intervening years, you never know the extent to which certain principles that came from old case law remain relevant.

There is also Employment Equality Law which I haven't used but which got a big thumbs up from Judge Geoghegan, no less, in the foreword. So that's possibly worth a look, depending on the purpose of your study.

Advertisement