Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHEEL OF TIME

Options
  • 19-07-2013 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Just finishing the 5th book in the series and I'm enjoying it so far. I was wondering what the next few books are like in the series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

Only so much braid pulling I could take, quit the series after 6 or 7 books, could never go back!! But a lot of people do maintain the series improves after a bit but for me there is too much other stuff to read!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The real hurdle starts at book 6/7 and finishes up around book 10/11 when things are even more repetitive and the story grinds to a halt with never ending braid pulling, stupid men, even more stupid decisions by women who're one sided personalities etc. take over. I've finished it but it's far from something I'd recommend someone as a series to read due to the fact it should have been at least 5 books shorter...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭spartacus815

The Braid tugging is really annoying and some of the women's perspectives on men and life is so pointless to read. Wish I could skip their chapters but they are integral to the saga. Ill keep going on with the books but hopefully they don't have 5 chapters straight in a row with braid tugging and stupid men!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

It's brilliant, I enjoyed every book. I'd love to be reading it from the start again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I quit after book 7 as well- I was reading them as they came out and was disappointed enough by A Crown of Swords, when the next one didn't come out like clockwork the next year I lost interest in the story. Tbh at that stage I didn't think it was worth a re-read to get back up to speed on wtf was going on. I probably would have persisted if I had had the lot of them all together at once and could just motor through them. But I've just finished the latest A Song of Ice and Fire novel and I couldn't help but compare The Wheel of Time unfavorably- even the weakest novel- A Feast for Crows- kicks the ass of the more compelling Wheel of Time novels, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I stopped reading them many years ago at 9 I think. Last few were too much like work. I heard the son took over writing and it improved.

I started reading them again from book one and the are much less complex than game of thrones. But I dont mind that as much. Thrones gets a bit too long winded as you go on aswell.

Common fault of long sagas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

beauf wrote: »
    I stopped reading them many years ago at 9 I think. Last few were too much like work. I heard the son took over writing and it improved.

I started reading them again from book one and the are much less complex than game of thrones. But I dont mind that as much. Thrones gets a bit too long winded as you go on aswell.

Common fault of long sagas
    You're most likely mixing it up with Dune; in this case another author not directly related to the family took over when he died to finish the series based on the material and interviews done with him (in private).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No I thought it was his son. Must haven't paid attention when I read that news originally. I think I read up to 10. I don't think I finished the book. One of the very few I just gave up on. I was thinking of going back on it, so I got them as eBooks. Back up to 3 I think. I've stopped again to read a few other books. I heard the new books by Brandon Sanderson are good. So thought I'd work through them again.

Dune is another one that wanders about. A real marathon that was. Ditto Foundation by Asimov. I read another fantasy one where the same characters would die and come back reincarnated with other names. That got impossible very quickly also.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

I loved the Sanderson Mistborn series, thought they were very original....have read his Way of The King books 1 and 2, different again, looking forward to the next instalment

beauf wrote: »
    No I thought it was his son. Must haven't paid attention when I read that news originally. I think I read up to 10. I don't think I finished the book. One of the very few I just gave up on. I was thinking of going back on it, so I got them as eBooks. Back up to 3 I think. I've stopped again to read a few other books. I heard the new books by Brandon Sanderson are good. So thought I'd work through them again.

Dune is another one that wanders about. A real marathon that was. Ditto Foundation by Asimov. I read another fantasy one where the same characters would die and come back reincarnated with other names. That got impossible very quickly also.
    Dune tells a story on so many levels though; esp. if you're into religion... It also has one of the most powerfull endings I've read (talking the original series; not the continuation written by his son).
    Ardeehey wrote: »
    I loved the Sanderson Mistborn series, thought they were very original....have read his Way of The King books 1 and 2, different again, looking forward to the next instalment
    I loved book 1 because it's a very unique set up; book 2 I ho hummed through and I'm halfway through book 3 but not bothered to finish it for a year now (I really should get around to it one of these days).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Just finishing the 5th book in the series and I'm enjoying it so far. I was wondering what the next few books are like in the series.

I've only read up to 9, but it went seriosuly downhill after 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Have forgotten about the Wheel of Time - I gave up half way through book 10 a few years ago..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Big thread about this series in the Sci Fi/fantasy Forum. :)

Advertisement