Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford says goodbye to 1 and 2 cent coins.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Bmaxi there are to losses in this situation, over the year it balances out and now the retailer doesn't have to go to the bank on change runs.

Retailers are free to change their prices any time they want and shoppers can decide whether or not to give them their custom.

Bmaxi if a Retailer changed a €50 euro note for 1c what would you think of that? yes they should have change and in my shop if I was out of 1c I would give 2c change.

How many times has your bill come to €20.02 and you offer a €50 note and got €30 back?

Its not a big conspiracy, we are all not out to get you. To me its a common sense solution to what it a minor matter.

The fact that it costs way more to produce €100k worth of coin than they are worth is also a saving to the exchequer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Shelflife wrote: »
    Bmaxi there are to losses in this situation, over the year it balances out and now the retailer doesn't have to go to the bank on change runs.

Retailers are free to change their prices any time they want and shoppers can decide whether or not to give them their custom.

Bmaxi if a Retailer changed a €50 euro note for 1c what would you think of that? yes they should have change and in my shop if I was out of 1c I would give 2c change.

How many times has your bill come to €20.02 and you offer a €50 note and got €30 back?

Its not a big conspiracy, we are all not out to get you. To me its a common sense solution to what it a minor matter.

The fact that it costs way more to produce €100k worth of coin than they are worth is also a saving to the exchequer.
    How any of this is relevant to the topic in hand is beyond me. To avoid re-covering old ground, I am prepared to predict that when this farcical trial period, it's not a trial it's a preparation for a fait accompli, is over and low value coins are withdrawn, which they undoubtedly will be, all pretence at rounding up and down will disappear, prices will be rounded up to the nearest 5c and that will be that.
    This is historically how it has happened and this is how it will happen this time, to pretend otherwise is at the very least, disingenuous. You are quite welcome to return to this forum after the event and show me where I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

bmaxi wrote: »
    I have on more than one occasion, been in a situation where I bought an item with a price ending in .99 and been told by the cashier that they had no pennies and could they owe me a penny, I have always suggested that they could give me 2p/c and I'd owe them a penny. Strangely enough this offer was never accepted and efforts were then made to find a penny, managers have even been called. It would appear then that some people care about being short changed.

That's only because you're some sort of communist who thinks that all "the retailers" are out to get him.
    Enough said here I think.

DubTony wrote: »
    That's only because you're some sort of communist who thinks that all "the retailers" are out to get him.
    Enough said here I think.
    So to object to being short changed makes me a commie, spoken like a true blue Thatcherite, she started out as a shopkeeper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I seen places in Wexford up prices before around the Euro Introduction and not just big brand name places so I'd be keeping my eyes open when this new thing is introduced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Good riddance, I don't object to being over or under-charged a couple of Cent, I tell them to keep them in the till anyway. Can't abide the little useless feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 RustyRobo

What can you buy for 1c or 2c? - Nothing!

Articles priced €xx.49 or €xx.99 are a marketing technique that preys on our desires not to focus on the big numbers.

These coins are a worthless burden - they cost more to produce than their worth in circulation. Retailers are charged a small fortune by the banks to count and process them.

When this ridiculous, pointless clutter is removed from Irish society, the marketeers will seamlessly move to the next technique in their arsenal to ensure their profits and market share. The banks will heave a sigh of relief - but then find some other subtle way to charge for their alleged "services".

If we're smart we'll spot these things happening, and can maybe name and shame the bad guys. Either way, this evolution will and should happen - so lets see if for once we can make it work to the benefit of the vast majority of honest ethical folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

Is it just me or do the rounding rules seem a little unfair.

99c x 1 round up
    99c x 2 round up
    99c x 3 round up
    99c x 4 round down
    99c x 5 stays the same

it's 3:1 to the retailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

hypersonic wrote: »
    Is it just me or do the rounding rules seem a little unfair.

99c x 1 round up
    99c x 2 round up
    99c x 3 round up
    99c x 4 round down
    99c x 5 stays the same

it's 3:1 to the retailer!

Not every item is charged at a price ending in 9c . you could buy a multiple of 4/5 items in the above instance. Or will this be seen as a sly marketing ploy as well.

why don't we just always round down that way everybody's happy.

retailers never have to handle 1c and 2c, the government can stop minting them, and the customer gets a good deal every time, which would be great pr for the scheme.

if it's such worthless junk everybody should agree, but for some reason they didn't think of this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

why not just leave the prices as I'd, and round up out down the total?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

hypersonic wrote: »
    sure why stop at 2c just round everything up or down to a euro, it all even out in the end. :(

it's just another way to hiding inflation/falling living standards.

Its not going to affect anyones living standards.

Its not going to affect anyones living standards.

it is a sign of creeping inflation which affects everybody's living standards. The disappearance of 1c & 2c. is just a side effect but it is a very tactile side effect. eventually the 5c will disappear too and we'll start minting 5euro coins, this is the way it has always worked, but it is not good for consumers and should not be welcomed with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

GreeBo wrote: »
    why not just leave the prices as I'd, and round up out down the total?

Thats the plan GreeBo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Have you ever noticed the 'take a penny, give a penny' dishes on the counter which some shops have, are always full. Customers don't want them in their pockets and the shopkeeper doesn't want them in his till.

The 1c and 2c coins will not cease to be legal tender, Ireland can not arbitrarily do that. It's the fact that never in the history of such events has it worked in favour of the consumer. All this bull**** about rounding down as well as up is a smokescreen which will very soon blow away as prices are adjusted upwards to multiples of 5c.
    I prefer to put my low value coins into a jar and drop them into a local charity where some benefit will be derived by the community, rather than into the profit column of Tesco's balance sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

As I already said, this system is already in place in Oz where 1c and 2c are worth even less but that margin is getting closer and it works fine. No one is ripped off and everyone sees it for the common sense scenario it is. You seem to have an extremely cynical view of the world bmaxi and I'm glad not everyone thinks like this or there would never be progress because something could possibly go wrong.

At one point you told someone their point wasn't relative to this conversation, all your talk of VAT decreases have been entirely irrelevant to this topic also, that was a situation where a shop would have and should have lowered their total prices but didn't (obviously a bad thing) but here no one is going to touch their prices and if they did it's not hidden behind and VAT changes. This is a miniscule adjustment to a final total bill and no mass changes of individual prices and if any retailers choose to change their prices from 9.99 to 10.00 then it will be clear and for all to see and call them on it.

I think you can take your tin foil hat off for this one, it's not a big plot to rob you of 2c every time you go the shops.

NothingMan wrote: »
    As I already said, this system is already in place in Oz where 1c and 2c are worth even less but that margin is getting closer and it works fine. No one is ripped off and everyone sees it for the common sense scenario it is. You seem to have an extremely cynical view of the world bmaxi and I'm glad not everyone thinks like this or there would never be progress because something could possibly go wrong.

At one point you told someone their point wasn't relative to this conversation, all your talk of VAT decreases have been entirely irrelevant to this topic also, that was a situation where a shop would have and should have lowered their total prices but didn't (obviously a bad thing) but here no one is going to touch their prices and if they did it's not hidden behind and VAT changes. This is a miniscule adjustment to a final total bill and no mass changes of individual prices and if any retailers choose to change their prices from 9.99 to 10.00 then it will be clear and for all to see and call them on it.

I think you can take your tin foil hat off for this one, it's not a big plot to rob you of 2c every time you go the shops.

I don't have a cynical view of life in general, but the retail industry and that's based on life experiences, not speculation.
    I didn't introduce the topic of vat decreases so please, get your facts straight before you make assertions. As regards Australia, again what happens there is totally irrelevant to what happens here, perhaps they have scruples there.
    Who is going to challenge a retailer over a price increase? There is virtually no price control and prices fluctuate on a daily basis. Who could tell you off the top of their head, what the price of a packet of cornflakes was in Centra three weeks ago, who could even guess at the number of different items Tesco carry?
    I'm sure you're aware of retail psychology, consumers won't even be aware it has happened.
    As I said before, you are perfectly free to come back after the event and prove me wrong, I don't expect to see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Guess we won't be able to but penny sweets anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

As I said before, you are perfectly free to come back after the event and prove me wrong

And will you be able to come back and prove you're right also? Just curious.

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    And will you be able to come back and prove you're right also? Just curious.
    If you mean are "you willing to come back?", then certainly. I'm not being pedantic but the question could have several interpretations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

am i the only one who has realised that rounding up or down allready goes on. how many people have gone to their local shop and held out a handful of change at the till only for the cashier to take a couple of cent less because of rounding down or people who are due one or two cent change but dont bother with it. and what about your 20.02 worth of fuel and we hand over 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

am i the only one who has realised that rounding up or down allready goes on. how many people have gone to their local shop and held out a handful of change at the till only for the cashier to take a couple of cent less because of rounding down or people who are due one or two cent change but dont bother with it. and what about your 20.02 worth of fuel and we hand over 20 euro

True. If I'm buying something I won't wait for 1 or 2c change, I usually walk away after a quick thank you. I don't want that shrapnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

NothingMan wrote: »
    True. If I'm buying something I won't wait for 1 or 2c change, I usually walk away after a quick thank you. I don't want that shrapnel.

Exactly, we don't want the 1c or 2c coins but we DEMAND THE RIGHT to tell the cashier "you're grand, hang on to it", or worse still, display self importance by just walking away from the till without considering that you are owed the 2c. That's how to act like a Boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

It is a great idea. Here is a quick 4minute video to point out all the pros of such an idea. Although based on the US penny, the principles are the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5UT04p5f7U

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Hope its successful , and we can get rid of the small change altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I was speaking with someone recently and they reminded me of this trial. Can anyone comment on how it's going?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I was speaking with someone recently and they reminded me of this trial. Can anyone comment on how it's going?

Been a great success according to The Wexford People newspaper last week, then again that's the Wexford People newspaper so:)..........

Friend of mine was telling me that over the duration of the trial he became involved in it only twice, once he was asked did he want to round the price up by a cent and another time a shop automatically rounded down his bill - twice in the whole trial !! and that was paying cash all along, not sure if all retailers took it that seriously by the sounds of that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Who's going to absorb that loss? 4c may not seem a lot but imagine 4c on a thousand transactions a day over a year, which is not impossible in the likes of Tesco, Dunnes or Pettitts. That's a tidy sum to write off so you can bet retailers will be compensating for that.

Still got no idea mate.

You only round up or down on the total of the items bought, you don't round up or down on each item(unless your purchase is a single item).

You will never absorb or gain 4cents, just 1 or 2 cents(on the total)

That's for cash payments only, if you pay by debit/credit card you pay the exact total amount.

No rounding up or down on card payments, only cash payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A trial like this could never give us the nationwide picture .

There is only one option , and that is to abolish all 1c and 2c immediately .

Advertisement