Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

alternative to Rii mini-keyboard but with better range?

• 19-07-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for something similar to a Rii to control my windows HTPC.

rii-remote-20100305-600.jpg

i've had 3 of them now and have been generally happy with the size/versatility of them, but since moving house, my HTPC is in a cupboard under the stairs and neither the 2.4ghz wireless or Bluetooth Rii have sufficient power to reach the receiver without periodically dropping out (only momentarily) meaning keypresses are missed, or get stuck down and repeat.

not a huge deal when it means you get a rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrepeated keypress, but a major headache when you open a video file and the HTPC tries to open 50 copies of the same one and grinds to a halt, needing a reboot. :eek:

it's only about 20 feet and a plasterboard wall, but it seems to be just a little too far for the Rii, so any thoughts on a replacement?

thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

could the receiver for the Rii be brought from the HTPC closer to the sender? If otherwise happy with the Rii that is what I would look at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

everything is in a small room (about the size of a hotpress) under the stairs, with the tv/living room directly next to that room, so there's a plasterboard wall between where the Rii is used from and where the HTPC is and the door to the press is on the opposite side to where the tv is.

i got one of these yokes which takes care of the volume controls on the AV amp and the Sky HD box, but controlling the HTPC is sketchy at best. :(

So a small hole through the plasterboard wall and the receiver for the Rii on an extension cable might do it?

So a small hole through the plasterboard wall and the receiver for the Rii on an extension cable might do it?
    it probably would if it wasn't a rented house. :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    it probably would if it wasn't a rented house. :D

Get creative :D:D

• Advertisement

i was half thinking i might get enough of an improved signal if i used a USB extension lead and taped it higher up on the wall inside the press where it meets the tv room.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i was half thinking i might get enough of an improved signal if i used a USB extension lead and taped it higher up on the wall inside the press where it meets the tv room.

The next best thing to coming through the wall ;)

Advertisement