Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators/"suppressors"

Options
  • 19-07-2013 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Just a general wondering, why do lads use Moderators on rifles with high velocity ammunition?? This more or less defeats the purpose of a Moderator in the true sense unless its used with subsonic ammunition!!

A) it reduces velocity
    B) that affects range/accuracy
    C) wears the internal parts of the moderator due to high pressures

IMO using a Moderator without havin access to subsonic ammunition is defeating the purpose

Any thoughts?

* it should be noted I am not attacking there use or those who employ them I'm just wondering why?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Safety, don't have to wear hearing protection (good for your ears on its own, a 20dB reduction is still very welcome) Without hearing protection a person can give and receive instructions/warnings/advice from those around them.

Recoil reduction, it makes the firearms more comfortable to shoot (which sometimes will have a positive influence on shooter and allow them to shoot better groups), allows for quicker follow up shots if necessary.

Also on point A) some people are of the opinion they increase velocity. Either way for hunting applications they don't have a big enough effect on velocity or range to worry about.

If I was target shooting competitively on a range I wouldn't use one as it's just another component to worry about/fiddle with. For hunting and varminting they are a very useful and valuable tool.

The only negatives I have with them is they are not lieftime products, they do wear out (know that when buying them though) and the extra weight on the end of a barrel is not great for firearm balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

hurlsey wrote: »
    Just a general wondering, why do lads use Moderators on rifles with high velocity ammunition?? This more or less defeats the purpose of a Moderator in the true sense unless its used with subsonic ammunition!!

A) it reduces velocity

IMO using a Moderator without havin access to subsonic ammunition is defeating the purpose

Any thoughts?

* it should be noted I am not attacking there use or those who employ them I'm just wondering why?!

A) it doesn't
    B) can act in the same way a brake does thereby increasing accuracy and assisting in follow through
    C)obviously anything that gets used gets worn, the same could be said for the rifle

It's quite simple. It can improve accuracy and allows you to shoot in situation where hearing protection is a last recourse.

If your coming at this from a ninja assassin point of view then yes, a mod without subsonic ammo is likely to get you killed before your buddies on seal team 6 can extract you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Only two disadvantages I know in using a mod is increased weight and adds extra length to your rifle. The rest is advantages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

A) it reduces velocity

Any thoughts?

Are you taking about rim fire or center fire. As far as I know the ammo doesn't have to be subsonic for the mod to work properly.

I ask this as I only have a mod on my 22. Don't have one for the center fire yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[

A) it reduces velocity
    A]Nope,reduces the supersonic crack not velocity.
    B] Nope, should have no effect on range or accruacy,bar compensating for extra front end weight,[you can trim the barrel if it is that much of an annoyance]or the bullet is hitting an internal baffle.
    C]Anything will wear out eventually,but firing normal ammo thru it wont make much difference.Unless you ar firing it on something full auto.Even then a well made can will withstand nowadays over 100k worth of rounds before it is unserviceable.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

A) it reduces velocity.....No it doesnt
    B) that affects range/accuracy..no it doesnt.good cans fitted correctly dont affect accuracy,they may have a repeatable poi shift for your zero which can be recorded and accounted for.this is usually very small.How would it affect range ?
    C) wears the internal parts of the moderator due to high pressures...no it doesnt.quality suppressors and practically all centre fire suppressors are designed for use with high velocity ammo.everything on the planet wears with use.

Reasons for their use have allready been listed by others.biggest pro for me is makin my centrefire ear safe without needing earpro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    [
    A]Nope,reduces the supersonic crack not velocity.
    B]

Not really, what you hear with a mod is the supersonic crack. This is constant regardless if whether or not you use a mod. What a mod does reduce is the sound from the gas expansion from the shot. The can acts like an expansion chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Recently started to use one on a .243 with 100grn, have to say I'm hooked, Damn the expense, I'm getting one.
    In the field it just makes the rifle so much more tame. Although slightly off balance when slung for the carry the rifle still points and shoots as it did prior to fitting.
    Ballisticly the foxs don't notice any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

I fired one round in all my years without a moderator on my .223 and theres a reason I only fired one round. It near blew the ears off me.
    A moderator is not a 'silencer' so I disagree that its pointless use one without sub sonic ammo. It stops you going deaf and I wouldnt shoot without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Jonty wrote: »
    Not really, what you hear with a mod is the supersonic crack. This is constant regardless if whether or not you use a mod. What a mod does reduce is the sound from the gas expansion from the shot. The can acts like an expansion chamber.

As far as I know. It catchs the gas and reduces the speed the gas leaves the barrel. Is that right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The only time a mod will effect the velocity if it is a internally suppressed rifle with a ported barrel..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It also makes it difficult for an animal to hear where the shot originated.
    If you shoot at an animal and it hears the crack but not the bang, its very hard to locate you .
    If you miss this sometimes allows you to get a second shot before the animal decides which way its going to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

IA moderator is not a 'silencer' so I disagree that its pointless use one without sub sonic ammo. It stops you going deaf and I wouldnt shoot without one.

Basically the silencer, sound modifier,moderator ,suppressor is semantics for the same thing.A device that significantly reduces gunfire noise.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Any thoughts?
    Vegeta wrote: »
    Recoil reduction, it makes the firearms more comfortable to shoot (which sometimes will have a positive influence on shooter and allow them to shoot better groups), allows for quicker follow up shots if necessary.

Cannot add anything that has not already been said, but here is a video posted a few days ago. See the difference in recoil management with and without a mod.

From someone that used to shoot a 30-06 (close enough to 300 winmag) trust me it's a necessity.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Any round firing greater than 1125fps will break the sound barrier. I personally think air pressure and wind speed has some impact on how loud the supersonic pitch noise is going to be after the moderator absorbs the crack/boom out of the round. This also depends on the quality and build of the mod of coarse. Just my opinion

Advertisement