Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree ideas

• 19-07-2013 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

hi
    I'm in the market for a narrow tree of max height 10' - 12' for my front garden.
    Maybe something with white bark (not sure why:))
    Any suggestions?
    And is it a good time of the year to plant?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, in any summer it would not be a good time to plant trees, but in the current conditions its not a good idea at all. Leave it till October/November and do lots of research in the meantime!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cb102

will do
    thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can buy trees in the summer which you can plant in the summer. cheaper as bare root, obviously; but the current weather is not the sort of weather condusive to buying plants, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

If you're looking for an evergreen, Italian Cypress is a good choice.

Italian-Cypress-Trees-2.jpg?1363467978

Or a Blue Arrow Juniper which only reaches about 15'.

5365-blue-arrow-juniper-full-shot.jpg

Both are slim trees. (Irish Yew is another)

Otherwise you might want a deciduous tree.

Mountain Ash and maybe a Silver Birch (white bark). The birch would need to be kept from getting too tall.

Living in a 3 bed semi, I have a small front garden, but I have 2 trees. A cherry blossom and a palm tree (cordyline). The palm tree died in the harsh winter of 2010, but I left it in the ground and it came back. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement