Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independant Computer Games Shop similar to Gamestop

Options
  • 19-07-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Guys ,

Looking for a little advice. I ran my own computer company for about 4 years and recently sold that on . After returning to the jobs market only recently I got thinking about maybe trying another company. Computer Games is something I'm very passionate about and I was wondering if they could give me some advice on setting up my own "Gamestop" type shop . Independant computer and console games sales . I know I cant compete with the likes of steam etc but Console games are still incredibly popular , and there might be a market from where I am.

Any thoughts , good or bad ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

I'd say this is another business that will go the way of the record shop and the book shop. Most consoles these days have a downloading capability. The main reasons I've heard for not downloading are the inability to trade in after the game has been played, and that it's not any cheaper. I'd say that there are possibly contracts currently in place that prohibit developers from selling cheaper than shops. So watch out for the software companies buying out / not renewing contracts and then reducing prices to encourage people to download, as the established shops focus more on second hand games, or disappear altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Hi Guys ,

Looking for a little advice. I ran my own computer company for about 4 years and recently sold that on . After returning to the jobs market only recently I got thinking about maybe trying another company. Computer Games is something I'm very passionate about and I was wondering if they could give me some advice on setting up my own "Gamestop" type shop . Independant computer and console games sales . I know I cant compete with the likes of steam etc but Console games are still incredibly popular , and there might be a market from where I am.

Any thoughts , good or bad ?

xbox was going to stop pre owned games and has recently back tracked but the reality is that the xone and ps4 will likely be the last 'great' consoles that we are used to with solid state media drives. In 7 years time the ability to down load huge amounts of data will be common place. Shops like game stop like hmv are on borrowed time. these manufacturers will be pushing the download game idea like mad in the next 5 years to prepare us all for the change.

so can an independent shop survive? its feasible but what separates you from the others? I would think a game store/café would be a better mix with private indie cinema where you can bring your own booze would be a better option or something similar where its more a community rather than just a another shelf of plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getsome

OP I think your idea is possible as trading games is very popular, maybe try to extend your idea into new technology like offering a downloading service that is faster than home downloading and could save many customers on their downloading limits at home.

As for lantus idea, its being done in my home town a snooker hall that is mixed with arcade and gaming zones, they also allow you to bring alcohol onto the premises after 10 o'clock with an age card. Heres a link to their site: http://sharkxnewbridge.blogspot.ie/

In the end I think if you can offer something fresh to that market you could easily establish a successful independent game store.

Advertisement