Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking near Salthill beach

Options
  • 19-07-2013 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

I am contemplating bring the kids (age 2 & 4) to Salthill tomorrow and am wondering what time I would need to be there to get parking within a 5-10 minute walk from the beach?
    I was at Trá Mór a few weeks ago and by 12.30 the car park was jammers.
    I'm planning to go fairly early anyway (10/11am) as it might be too hot later in the day!!!!:eek:
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

6am

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

I think you would be be better off going to silver strand further up the road,the car park there is right at the beach
    btw if you do go there and the car park is full don't park on the road,i was there one year and everyone parked on the road got a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tomorrow Saturday Salthill will be jammers all day.
    Silverstrand is usually better if you're early, then there's spaces up by the beach (no promises though). As said don't park on the road, they ticket there because people block one side of the road making it almost impossible to get in and out. I've been stuck there for 30 mins sometimes trying to get out from the beach, not fun in roasting heat.

I find the beach at Padraicins often has parking spots, it's too far for most city slickers but is only about 20 mins away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

And a lot on in Salthill tomorrow afternoon, earlier the better - unless you fancy a look at these as well !

Galway Armagh 5 oclock Pearse Stadium and The Galway Tri clubs aquathon - Grattan Beach area will be limited access

http://www.galwayaquathon.ie/?p=531

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Thanks all.
    I forgot about the match and it looks like there is a fair few things on around Salthill. It may be Trá Mór again so and a fairly early start to ensure parking.
    A bit of extra driving but it might be worth it.
    Enjoy the weekend guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Go to Silver Strand at your peril, it took me nearly two hours to get out of the place recently the traffic was just crazy, as stated if you come early you will find a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

brutes1 wrote: »
    And a lot on in Salthill tomorrow afternoon, eearlier the better - unless you fancy a look at these as well !

Galway Armagh 5 oclock Pearse Stadium and The Galway Tri clubs aquathon - Grattan Beach area will be limited access

http://www.galwayaquathon.ie/?p=531
    Forgot all about the match,that's galway ruled out for me then,thanks for the reminder

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭wotausername

theres a car park in baily point, beach just across the road :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Behind the aquarium in the car park or behind the business school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There exists a bus service to Salthill. Just thought I'd point that out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

snubbleste wrote: »
    There exists a bus service to Salthill. Just thought I'd point that out

It's been standing room only on the 401 all week, even the double deckers. Not a good idea with such young kids.

I was at beach in Salthill today and parked on Dalysfort Road, near the Garda station. Water is crystal clear and, dare I say, warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,464 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Park in one of the car parks in town. Hop on the little train that leaves from outside the Gala Shop just off Eyre Square. It does a tour of the town and ends up on the Prom. Ye can just take the return journey at your leisure.
    It's probably slightly expensive but I think they do family deals. and the kids have been ON A TRAIN!!!
    I've been watching it passing for the last few weeks now and both kids and adults all seem to be enjoying the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Park in one of the car parks in town. Hop on the little train that leaves from outside the Gala Shop just off Eyre Square. It does a tour of the town and ends up on the Prom. Ye can just take the return journey at your leisure.
    It's probably slightly expensive but I think they do family deals. and the kids have been ON A TRAIN!!!
    I've been watching it passing for the last few weeks now and both kids and adults all seem to be enjoying the experience.

But does it stop and let people off at Salthill?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,464 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. It has a terminus/station on the Prom.

Advertisement