Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Johnstones Paint v's Dulux (household brands)

• 19-07-2013 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Is Johnstones Paint better worse than other brands? Is it priced better. I'm looking for interior matt emulsion for whole house. Which brands would you recommend? Is there a big price/quality tradeoff?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

Colortrend emulsions are the on the market but 90 euro for 10 l bucket, I personally don't like johnstones emulsions but acrylic satin and gloss are great. Also stormshield is v good . If u are looking for good emulsion below 50euro bucket I would recommend dulux or glidden:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

not seen colortrend before. do shops make those up too or are they all factory made paints? Some of the historics ones are lovely but pricy. http://www.colortrend.ie/your-home/our-paints/historic-collection/paints/breakfast-room/. Are they worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

not seen colortrend before. do shops make those up too or are they all factory made paints? Some of the historics ones are lovely but pricy. http://www.colortrend.ie/your-home/our-paints/historic-collection/paints/breakfast-room/. Are they worth it?

All colortrend paints are 100% acrylic, perfect finish and so easy to apply. U cn get them in celbridge ( factory), mrcb Dublin, stillorgan decor dublin and many more shops full list on colortrend website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭DublinDIYguy

You can get colortrend trade paint in their factory in cellbridge cheaper than in dublin. They are very good paint. For the <€50 for a 10litre paints I like fleetwood extra plus which is also a very good paint. Stillorgan decor sell it and will match colortrend colours very well.

You can get colortrend trade paint in their factory in cellbridge cheaper than in dublin. They are very good paint. For the <€50 for a 10litre paints I like fleetwood extra plus which is also a very good paint. Stillorgan decor sell it and will match colortrend colours very well.

is it much cheaper in the factory in celbridge than stores? I looked in Limerick and they looking for €100 for 10L with not much variety. €70 for 5L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭DublinDIYguy

is it much cheaper in the factory in celbridge than stores? I looked in Limerick and they looking for €100 for 10L with not much variety. €70 for 5L

I'm not sure exactly what price they are. I think the 5l are about €40. They're in a white tin instead but the paint is the same.

I'm not sure exactly what price they are. I think the 5l are about €40. They're in a white tin instead but the paint is the same.

hopefully get up there next weekend. Anyone know if celbridge open saturdays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Hiya,

I have used Colourtrend throughout the house and it really is a great paint and the finish from it is fantastic. Whatever way they make the paint it gives greater coverage than other brands so you don't need as much of it, which helps with the overall cost.

If you like the Historic colours and don't mind not having the very flat finish then ask them to mix the dyes into their standard paint (matt or soft sheen) - you get the colour you want but only pay for their standard paint. The guys in Pat McDonnell paints suggested it when I needed 2 x 10lts and it worked out brill.

HTH

Pinky123 wrote: »
    Hiya,

I have used Colourtrend throughout the house and it really is a great paint and the finish from it is fantastic. Whatever way they make the paint it gives greater coverage than other brands so you don't need as much of it, which helps with the overall cost.

If you like the Historic colours and don't mind not having the very flat finish then ask them to mix the dyes into their standard paint (matt or soft sheen) - you get the colour you want but only pay for their standard paint. The guys in Pat McDonnell paints suggested it when I needed 2 x 10lts and it worked out brill.

HTH
    do you remember how much this cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Can't remember exactly ( €75 for 10lts i think :confused:) but if you call any of the Pat McDonnell shops they will give you a price over the phone ( ask them for their trade discount, always works :D )
    They will mix it up into whatever size tins are available and I think they do free delivery nationwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Saw Colourtrend in Stillorgan Décor yesterday and they have an amazing range of colours. Can anyone buy from their factory or do you need to be trade?

chancer12 wrote: »
    Saw Colourtrend in Stillorgan Décor yesterday and they have an amazing range of colours. Can anyone buy from their factory or do you need to be trade?

i bought a fair bit of colourtrend paint at weekend and it really is lovely paint - i think the factory is open to the public though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Have just painted a large room using colour trend. Fantastic to use, goes on a dream, lovely depth and texture. I loved crown for their colours but it,s yuck quality. Dulux a bit better, colour trend beats them hands down. Added bonus is that it's an Irish company so the profits stay here.
    Colour trend open 7days a week to everyone.
    I didn't use their Historic collection paint which was slightly more exnsive again.
    The paint I bought came in 1, 3 and 5 ltrs and cost €19, 43 and 65 respectively.
    Well worth the money. You won't believe the finish!
    Sorry, this doesn't answer you query re johnsons v. Dulux. If cost is the issue, go with what you can afford. I think you may need to freshen up the surface more frequently though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Johnstones paint is very good use it all the time.You can get most other brands colours mixed it doesn't have to be off the Johnstones colour card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Johnstones paint is very good use it all the time.You can get most other brands colours mixed it doesn't have to be off the Johnstones colour card.

Posted at 5:38am this morning.....on a bank holiday Sunday/weekend too.

Fair fcuks to you for that.:)

You must have been only back in the door from being on the lash?????:pac::D:D

Oh and Yeah,I have heard that Johnstones paint is very good and also its cheaper than Dulux.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Posted at 5:38am this morning.....on a bank holiday Sunday/weekend too.

Fair fcuks to you for that.:)

You must have been only back in the door from being on the lash?????:pac::D:D

Oh and Yeah,I have heard that Johnstones paint is very good and also its cheaper than Dulux.:)

No lol up at 5am every morning without fail no matter what day it is,don't know why just wake up fresh as a daisy.

Morning Paddy,the early bird catches the worm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Morning Paddy,the early bird catches the worm.

Story horse,howya bud...:pac::D:D

....or the mackerel.;):pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭orlaanne

I used Johnstones matt in a grey colour for 3 of my bedroom walls and Dulux easycare in teal for one. Johnstones took 3 coats to get it to look even and Dulux took only 2. The second bucket I opened also wasn't mixed properly and had flecks of black going through it that only showed up AFTER you started to roll it onto the wall, I gave myself a blister trying to roll the black bits into it properly to get an even colour. I will never touch the stuff again.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

That's really intersesting. I had heard such praise for Johnstones. I have Dulux all over my apartment but it marks quite badly and doesn't wash well, you can always see evidence of the cleaning marks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

In fairness sounds like a problem with your roller or the paint wasnt shaken properly. A stir with a stick may have helped. Not a huge fan of Johnstones, its adequate but no more. A mentioned Fleetwood Extra Plus is streaks ahead.
    orlaanne wrote: »
    I used Johnstones matt in a grey colour for 3 of my bedroom walls and Dulux easycare in teal for one. Johnstones took 3 coats to get it to look even and Dulux took only 2. The second bucket I opened also wasn't mixed properly and had flecks of black going through it that only showed up AFTER you started to roll it onto the wall, I gave myself a blister trying to roll the black bits into it properly to get an even colour. I will never touch the stuff again.

Advertisement