Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Payment Entitlements

Options
  • 19-07-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

looking for some information and help in relation to the above.

Basically I’m wondering what is taken into account when applying for maintenance payments. I have a 12 year old from a previous relationship, I currently get 20 euro a week from the father. He works full time, only in the last year, before that he was on the dole and I didn’t receive anything as he had no job etc. etc. He has another child also. I’m getting a little annoyed with what I receive as my daughter is getting older by the day, cloths don’t last as long anymore, she needs more etc. and will soon be attending secondary school and I’m finding it a struggle sometimes.

I have been reasonable for years with this considering he was on the dole and not in receipt of much but feel that the costs should be evened a little now that he is in full time employment. I know if I seek more money he will refuse so I am considering seeking maintenance payments instructed from the courts but need to know where I stand with this. I am in full time employment is my income taken into account? is this going to be worth my while or is 20 euro as good as it gets?

Any info at all is greatly appreciated, I know all cases are different but just in general what areas are taken into account when looking at the amounts to be paid?

Also just to take into account she rarely sees him, doesn’t stay over any nights, just the occasional hour here and there.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I have a 12 yr old, the father pays nothing. Court system is ****e tbh, been in and out of court for years, he says he'll pay, and then doesnt, so we go back to court, same thing 2 or 3 times a year, basically he doesnt want to pay it, and he gets away with it. i've given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

silly wrote: »
    I have a 12 yr old, the father pays nothing. Court system is ****e tbh, been in and out of court for years, he says he'll pay, and then doesnt, so we go back to court, same thing 2 or 3 times a year, basically he doesnt want to pay it, and he gets away with it. i've given up.

Have you sought an attachment order so that it's taken out of his earnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Silly_Mooo

Hey Silly,

what did they assess when you took him to court? surely they have to do something??

he goes to court and he says he'll pay, he pays for about 2 weeks and then he stops so i had to take him back to court again - it was happening too much that i was getting sick of having to take time off work to sit in a courtroom all day for nothing.

I might try again as he sees her when he likes and she is starting secondary next month so i need to pay for bus and uniform soon!
    Never sought an attachment order - my solicitor never mentioned one!?

i dont remember my earnings ever being assessed silly moo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭animum

You can get a maintenance order from the courts where he has to pay. You present a figure based on how much you think he should pay. If he is not in agreement with that amount then the courts decide on a figure.
    If he refuses to pay, it can be taken from his wage, or even his social welfare payments. The payment is paid to the court or to you.

Advertisement