Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 28 - Strawberry Cooler

Options
  • 19-07-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

I'm appointing myself as official cooking club psychic following this sweet prediction
    kerash wrote: »
    Date suits me. Hopefully we'll be having a heat wave when my turn comes round!

In keeping with the weather and the fact I had neither the energy nor the inclination to whip up anything more extravagant, I give you a Strawberry Sorbet/Ice-cream type thingy! I made this up on the fly so i hope it works out for anybody who tries it, it's nice and refreshing for this weather plus super quick and easy to make. The coconut milk gives it a nice creaminess but you just use water and you could use any fruit you prefer.

Ingredients:

1lb Fresh or Frozen Strawberries (or raspberries)
    1 Tin Coconut Milk
    1/2 Cup of Sugar
    Pinch of Salt

263283.jpg

Optional
    1tblsp Lime Juice
    1tblsp Vodka

Method

Throw you fresh or frozen (you might want to thaw them a bit if they are like bullets) into a liquidizer/processor along with the cream off the top of the can of coconut, whizz/pulse until it begins to break down.

Pour the remaining coconut liquid into a pot along with the cup of sugar and boil - the liquid may begin to rise and potentially pour over so take off the heat, return to a low temp then rise to a boil again (it should bubble up but not spillover) boil rapidly for 5 mins, it will be a thin syrup.

263286.jpg

Allow to cool a little (but not too much as it will thicken and be unpourable).

Turn your liquidizer back on and trickle the coconut syrup slowly into the strawberries and blend til smoooth.

263285.jpg

Next you want to strain the puree through a sieve to remove the seeds - if you don't mind the seeds don't bother.

263287.jpg

At this stage you can add your lime juice and vodka to the mix, give it a taste, if it's too tart add some sugar to your liking (I added an extra 1/4 cup) and a pinch of salt, stir until well combined.

Now you can either put the mix in the fridge til cold and then pour it in your ice cream maker and churn for the recommend time by your machine or do what I did - place it in the freezer and whisk every 20 minutes - it took about 4 hours to freeze and voila!

263289.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Great recipe. Although probably bad timing with the frozen berries. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Great recipe. Although probably bad timing with the frozen berries. :/

:( Please don't get Hepatitis - use fresh berries :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Saw this yesterday before I left work and bought the ingredients before I got home. Easy to make.

As I don't have an icecream maker, I decided to do the same thing: freeze in a normal container and whisk every 30 mins. Unfortunately, I did it once and then forgot for about 3 hours at which point it was almost solid. Spoon tasted awesome though. Can't wait to get home from work to have more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Why have I never spotted this recipe before? Gonna totally make this. :pac:

Advertisement