Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to immigrate to

Options
  • 19-07-2013 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi
    I won the diveresty lottery visa am and waiting to receive my GC and SS.
    I have a degree in business with 16 years experience in it and wife is a project manager (PMP) in services

Any suggestons where to go to.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Congratulations!

It really depends - what business area are you in? Are you happy living in the city? Would you like to live by the coast or in the mountains?

The country is so huge it is impossible to guide - cities likes NY and SF are great for business and IT. Places like Austin and chicago are also good for work.

I think the best thing you could do is start researching what companies/areas you'd like to live in. I for instance was offered a transfer to indianapolis or SF. It wasn't really a question for us, we wanted the coast, a nice city and the career opportunities for us both was great in SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Also investigate cost of living.....look at housing market and rental listings.....there is huge differences depending on where you decide to settle.

We live in a 2 bedroom house on 5 acres about 20 minutes outside of cincinnati....our rent is $450 per month......many of the cities on the coast, you wouldn't even get a 1 bedroom apartment for that much.

If your options are completely open, it's definitely something to consider.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

We live in a 2 bedroom house on 5 acres about 20 minutes outside of cincinnati....our rent is $450 per month......many of the cities on the coast, you wouldn't even get a 1 bedroom apartment for that much.

2 bedroom in Brooklyn, 20 mins from Manhattan = $2400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Ponster wrote: »
    2 bedroom in Brooklyn, 20 mins from Manhattan = $2400

2 bed in the Inner Sunset (San Francisco) = 2540 including parking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

2 bed. Fremont neighbourhood of Seattle. $1600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Atlanta

The cost of living is significantly lower than the big cities in the north east or out west. A large 2 bedroom apt in the very decent Sandy Spring suburb of Atlanta would set you back about $1000-$1200. There will be ample, free parking, plus pools, tennis courts, fitness centres are generally standard in apt complexes in that part of the world.

Atlanta is also one of the few US cities that has direct flights to Ireland. It's dead handy for visits home and visits from home. It is a Delta/United hub too, so you can fly anywhere else in the US, or the world really with very little effort. Florida is just down the road. Jump in your car after breakfast, and you'll be at one of the Gulf of Mexico Florida Panhandle beaches by lunchtime. That is really deadly, especially in the winter time. Jobs wise, Atlanta is home to a lot of Fortune 500 businesses, so it's a good place to relocate to if you are a white collar professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Investigate state and local taxes too. That will have an impact.

Advertisement