Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ISPs have bridgeable modems?

• 19-07-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I was going to sign up with UPC but the fact that the modem cannot be put into bridge mode has put me off them. Frankly, I can make do with slower speeds if I can avoid Double NAT and use my own router.

Do other ISPs also supply modem/router combinations that won't allow bridge mode? Do any of them supply modem only rather than modem/router?

My ideal setup would be a modem from the ISP and the ability to use my own router.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

I was going to sign up with UPC but the fact that the modem cannot be put into bridge mode has put me off them. Frankly, I can make do with slower speeds if I can avoid Double NAT and use my own router.

Do other ISPs also supply modem/router combinations that won't allow bridge mode? Do any of them supply modem only rather than modem/router?

My ideal setup would be a modem from the ISP and the ability to use my own router.

UPC man myself, so have new TC7200 modem/router, upgraded from SA2203 modem to get 50M speeds.

From reading the various posts over the last month or two on this subject, I think... that all the newer modem/routers supplied by the ISP's for their higher speed services are restricted, and do not have an option to bridge - some even reported to be totally locked down.
    So getting a modem only for a consumer connection seems slim.
    You should be able to get a modem on a business connection, but I think the costs would be too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

eircom fibre modem/router can be bridged, the VF fibre can be bridged but you have to request to get it done remotely, takes a lot of patience, VF say they intend to modify software in the future so it can be self bridged, I am sure I saw a link how to access upc router settings, thats all I know. No info on digiweb etc.

And yes a modem as separate would be ideal,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

No bridging available on Sky hub :(

Advertisement