Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail not accepting Ulster Bank debit card?

Options
  • 19-07-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Has anyone else experienced this problem, when I try to book a ticket on the Irish
    Rail website with my Ulster bank debit card, I am taken to the bank/card verification screen at the end and told to enter my password etc, but then when I submit it I get a message;

Reference : E108
    Unfortunately we have been unable to get approval for this transaction from your bank.
    Please try again with an alternative card or contact your bank.

This is not the first time this has happened, and my card works fine elsewhere, had anyone else had trouble using this pointless card (imo) verification system in the IR website?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I doubt this is an Irish Rail problem. These systems are set up by the banks, Visa and the like and plugged on top of websites. I've had problems with my card (not Ulster Bank) on some websites and no hassle on others.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

This is most definitely NOT a pointless verification process.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Its pretty pointless in my eyes if it cause's me to not be able to pay for what I want to purchase...
    But thanks folks, so it seems it not the website playing up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

I had this once, I think I was choosing visa instead of "lazer debit "because it was a visa debit. worked eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Has anyone else experienced this problem, when I try to book a ticket on the Irish
    Rail website with my Ulster bank debit card, I am taken to the bank/card verification screen at the end and told to enter my password etc, but then when I submit it I get a message;

Reference : E108
    Unfortunately we have been unable to get approval for this transaction from your bank.
    Please try again with an alternative card or contact your bank.

This is not the first time this has happened, and my card works fine elsewhere, had anyone else had trouble using this pointless card (imo) verification system in the IR website?

Which type of debit card, Visa Debit or Maestro?

UK Domestic Maestro cards have a long history of issues outside the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

never had a problem with mine anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Oddly enough I find that my Visa Debit card randomly doesn't work on the Bus Éireann site one day (I get a similar message to the OP), yet works fine when I log in a day later. (Sometimes had the same problem with the Laser version that preceded it) Not sure what can be done about it but I suspect the problem lies within the transaction software rather than the card itself (I can use it fine as a ATM card the same day).

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Which type of debit card, Visa Debit or Maestro?

UK Domestic Maestro cards have a long history of issues outside the UK.

Its a visa debit. It works fine for me otherwise, its just on the Irish Rail site that usually always throws up problems

Advertisement