Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doughiska: Boot camp noise disturbances [Happily Resolved]

Options
  • 19-07-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everyone,
    Not sure if I have this posted in the correct forum or not...
    I am living in Coill Tíre, Doughiska in Galway (I know from previous posts there are a good few 'Coill Tíre' people on this!). I am living opposite the Doughiska park and for the last few weeks some girl has been running a boot camp in the park. It seems to be on on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and ever since she started I have been woken up on these mornings between 6.30 and 6.45 am with her roaring her head off! And the funny thing is most mornings she only has about 2 or 3 people so I don't know why she can't speak in a normal tone of voice-esp at this hour of the morning! My husband works nights from time to time and often he is just drifting off to sleep after a night shift only to be awoken by her! There is no excuse for the way she ROARS!! There is also a guy who lives in the estate running a boot camp who is a gent! He has more people for his bootcamps and is very discreet-you wouldn't even know he was there and if you pass him while he is setting up etc he is very friendly so there's no need for her to act like this! She has absolutely NO consideration for those arount her WHATSOEVER!!
    I'm just wondering what my rights are/where I stand in relation to this issue? I can't be the only one she is disturbing at the crack of dawn! And Im too chicken to go out and say it to her myself as then she and the people at the bootcamp will know where I live!
    This week so far shes been at it wed and Thurs morning and then low and behold I came out to my car yesterday evening at half 6 and there she was again shouting at the top of her voice!
    Please help! I'm ready to tear my hair out at this stage! Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry but you'll just have to man up and tell her in person.
    Be nice about it and there won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Alternatively...

releasethehounds.png

If talking to her doesn't seem to do the trick, you could then approach your neighbours who are probably in the same boat, and escalate it to a neighbourhood issue. Though, that's probably a worst case scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

ahem, what is a bootcamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

...the latest passing fad...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭NoPasaran

sunshinw wrote: »
    Please help! I'm ready to tear my hair out at this stage! Any advice greatly appreciated!!
    Sure thing I will personally drive over there and ask them for you next time it happens. You did the right thing by posting about it on Boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I've wondered about these bootcamps before. They are a private entity performing their courses on public property. Do they have public liability insurance and permission from the owner of the place they carry out their courses (be that counsel or the management company that own the common ground in the case of it being a green space in a housing estate).

If a load of kids go out and play soccer or what ever that's fine but when there is someone making money from these courses surely they must cover their asses and get permission.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

kayos wrote: »
    I've wondered about these bootcamps before. They are a private entity performing their courses on public property. Do they have public liability insurance and permission from the owner of the place they carry out their courses (be that counsel or the management company that own the common ground in the case of it being a green space in a housing estate).

If a load of kids go out and play soccer or what ever that's fine but when there is someone making money from these courses surely they must cover their asses and get permission.

Maybe one of the frequenters of the Galway city forum runs such a boot camp and can answer this question, otherwise there's one in doughiska you can track down and ask, while you're there could you do the OP a solid and ask her to keep the noise down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Its very simple, ask them to relocate or be quiet. Otherwise call the gardai, she wont risk losing customers and will just move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Isn't there a noise rule here before/after a certain time. I'd imagine its 8am for mornings. But maybe it's not enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sunshinw wrote: »
    I can't be the only one she is disturbing at the crack of dawn! And Im too chicken to go out and say it to her myself as then she and the people at the bootcamp will know where I live!

Talk to your neighbours, and maybe go and see her together. Perhaps at the end of the class.

Tell her that you don't want to complain to the council, but you will if she keeps it up at that volume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

inisboffin wrote: »
    Isn't there a noise rule here before/after a certain time. I'd imagine its 8am for mornings. But maybe it's not enforced.

AFAIK they changed that rule recently - rather than specifying a particular time (such as 8am), it's now changed to a 'reasonable' time. This puts the onus on the noise creator to consider everyone including people who work on night shift.

I don't have a link to the rule change, but was told this yesterday by a resident who lives over the old Scottys restaurant on middle st - that place is currently being refurbished, but the workers have been drilling and using kangos from 4:30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Tell her you are spokesman for residents association and a number of neighbours asked you to talk to her about the situation.

dilallio wrote: »
    AFAIK they changed that rule recently - rather than specifying a particular time (such as 8am), it's now changed to a 'reasonable' time. This puts the onus on the noise creator to consider everyone including people who work on night shift.

Makes some sense, but then if you think about it that way, no hour is reasonable if someone has done a night shift. :) If anyone finds a link to this will they post please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shauna81

Hi Sunshinew,
    Well you'll be happy to hear your post on this site has got to me. My apologies about the noise, it was never my intention to disturb anyone. I have family members and friends living in Coil Tire, even right beside where I do the bootcamps and I asked them before could any of them ever hear me and they told me no so I was under the illusion that no one would be disturbed. I am a very approachable person I like to think and very reasonable also so you should have come down to me and said it and I could have apologied to your face and kept it down alot sooner so as not to cause you any more issues.
    I will keep my 6am bootcamps well down in future and will have a word with my class explaining the situation!!

My volume is to motivate my clients and class members who drive themselves further when being spoken to in a louder manor (tough I know some train differently this works for us) but by no means is it roaring and I have utmost consideration for others, I even have had chats with others up and about park at that hour!
    My morning bootcamp consists of 6, my wed morning is 2 pt clients and my evenings anything from 8 to 10 so I have to have my voice at a certain level so that I can be heard when numbers are larger.
    The evenings are ok as those classes run from 6.30pm but I completely understand about the mornings.
    Anyway's apologies once again and if there is any further issues please don't hesitate to come down to me or drop me a p-mail and ill be happy to sort it out with you in person! Please also send my apologies to your husband!!
    Sincerely,
    The loud mouth trainer, soon to be whispering in there ears, trainer ;)
    Shauna.

The power of boards! ;)
    I say fair play to Shauna for responding so well too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

kayos wrote: »

yes they must your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I love seeing things like this end in a happy way. Shauna81, thank you for coming along and explaining yourself in such an understanding, rational and friendly way.

Sunshinew, you definitely got a winner of a solution here. In most cases, something like this would still require you to go out and discuss the issue with the person directly. Hopefully, you've now seen how approachable and agreeable people running events such as this can be, and won't hesitate taking the matter into your own hands in future.

Of course, if that doesn't go as planned, we'll always be here for you. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement