Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly spray

Options
  • 19-07-2013 4:15pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got a nasty attack from unknown flies on the back of my legs when camping near the sea recently. Can anyone recommend a good spray to keep the buggers away from bare skin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I would also like to know if there is a defense. I have been destroyed by flies the last few times I was out. I put on some stuff I got in Dunnes today and it had mixed results, definitely less flies but still a few pestering me. It is called "Jungle Formula : Maximum". I didn't see any midges, hopefully they are all dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Google Avon and midgies, they have a skin care product that soldiers training in Scotland swear by. An american suggestion I heard is listerine.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

silverharp wrote: »
    Google Avon and midgies, they have a skin care product that soldiers training in Scotland swear by.
    Avon Skin-so-Soft Dry Oil Spray. It's not actually sold as an insect repellant but works like a dream, and doesn't contain any nasty chemicals like Deet. I've seen the park rangers down in Glendalough use it on some of their evening Bat Walks.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3-x-AVON-SKIN-SO-SOFT-DRY-OIL-SPRAY-REPELS-MOISTQUITOS-MIDGES-INSECT-REPELLANT-/200931741347?pt=UK_HeathBeauty_BathShowCons_RL&hash=item2ec8770ea3

Makes your skin silky smooth too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Autan, Johnston and Johnston, seems good, still have a drop left in the bottle, didn't have too use it for the last few summers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Alun wrote: »
    Avon Skin-so-Soft Dry Oil Spray. It's not actually sold as an insect repellant but works like a dream, and doesn't contain any nasty chemicals like Deet. I've seen the park rangers down in Glendalough use it on some of their evening Bat Walks.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3-x-AVON-SKIN-SO-SOFT-DRY-OIL-SPRAY-REPELS-MOISTQUITOS-MIDGES-INSECT-REPELLANT-/200931741347?pt=UK_HeathBeauty_BathShowCons_RL&hash=item2ec8770ea3

sweet

• Advertisement

Yeah, nobody seems to know for sure what it is in the 'ingredients' that make it effective, maybe a bit of citronella oil (which is also quite effective BTW) but it really does work. I believe that on the back of it's popularity for this purpose, Avon developed an insect repellent based on this, but bizarrely it wasn't as effective as the original stuff!

By the way, don't spray any on your forehead or near your eyes as if you sweat a lot it runs down into your eyes and stings like hell.

As I don't do camping, midges don't bother me so much as those flies that you only notice after they have started sucking blood and it stings a tiny bit. The most annoying ones, unless you kill them with a slap no matter how fast you move they seem to hover and come back. Think they're called horse flies. Does it work on those?

Actually found a thread on midges, horseflies, ants, bees, ticks and all the wonderful biting and stinging insects on our island.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055945688

Mention of some remedies incl. Avon and 2 shots of vodka every night...

As I don't do camping, midges don't bother me so much as those flies that you only notice after they have started sucking blood and it stings a tiny bit. The most annoying ones, unless you kill them with a slap no matter how fast you move they seem to hover and come back. Think they're called horse flies. Does it work on those?
    It seems to work best on midges, but also seems to keep larger flies at bay too. Although like pretty much any repellent it seems to work best while moving .. I think the volatile elements of the stuff get wafted into the air and keep them away better than when you're just sat still having lunch, say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Alun wrote: »

Cheers Alun, much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

those flies that you only notice after they have started sucking blood and it stings a tiny bit. The most annoying ones, unless you kill them with a slap no matter how fast you move they seem to hover and come back. Think they're called horse flies.

Often known locally as Clegs or 'little bastards' if you prefer! Fond of damp ground and rushy fields etc. The only effective way to deal with them is to cover up well. If you see one about, don't swat it away - they're persistent buggers and just keep coming back. They're expert at landing lightly. Watch it like a hawk, let it land and then whack it with a quick hard slap!! Some people can be very allergic to the bite and swell up badly.
    I once had to survey a landscape of rushy Fermanagh fields in mid summer. Spend a day with the buggers and you learn their ways..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

BarryD wrote: »
    Often known locally as Clegs or 'little bastards' if you prefer! Fond of damp ground and rushy fields etc. The only effective way to deal with them is to cover up well. If you see one about, don't swat it away - they're persistent buggers and just keep coming back. They're expert at landing lightly. Watch it like a hawk, let it land and then whack it with a quick hard slap!! Some people can be very allergic to the bite and swell up badly.
    I once had to survey a landscape of rushy Fermanagh fields in mid summer. Spend a day with the buggers and you learn their ways..

Another proff there is no god

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

BarryD wrote: »

Yeah, was washing off in a river yesterday after a run, cow dung on the banks and they were just swarming. Hate them. It's the way they sneak up on you and you don't feel anything till the "FEK"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

silverharp wrote: »
    Another proff there is no god
    I'd be a vegetarian for many years but when it comes to clegs, it's survival of the fittest! You wouldn't mind if they flew away if you made a few swats at them... but no, they'll keep coming back from different angles until they alight and bite.

Advertisement