Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleknock, Roselawn or Carpenterstown vs Clonsilla

Options
  • 19-07-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I’m pretty sure many people have been in this same situation before (or are at the moment)…

We are a family of three (four very soon, all going well) that have been living in the Carpenterstown area for the past few years, always renting.

We have decided now to buy a house and stop paying somebody else's mortgage, but we think they are still kind of overpriced in the areas that we like. We are focused on Carpenterstown (including Bramley, Luttrellstown, Riverwood, Luttrell Park, Laverna, etc.), Laurel Lodge, Roselawn (including Summerfield, Springlawn, Broadway, Glenville, etc.) and Castleknock Village (though can only really afford Park Drive). Blanchardstown Village is OK too.

The problem is that the houses (we are only considering houses, minimum 3 bedroom) in these areas are a little bit on the high side for our budget...

We thought the prices would continue to drop, but in the last year I’d say they have actually gone up in what you would call “desirable” estates.

At the beginning we were not willing to consider Clonsilla (Charnwood, Limelawn, Mount Symon, Portersgate, Windermere, etc.) but the houses there are newer and much more affordable.

Example:

We were shown a house the other day in Roselawn. Asking price: region 270K

If you needed to describe graphically the meaning of the expression “in bits”, you would just insert a picture of the interior of this house.

You would need to spend a small fortune just to make it habitable…

For that sort of money you can get a relatively new 5 bedroom house in Windermere, only a mile and a half down the road (literally)…

Is the location so important as one thinks?

The purpose of this post is to gather ideas and opinions from people who have been in this situation (or similar). What did you do? Are you happy with the decision?

I would also like to get feedback from people who live in Clonsilla. Is the area safe enough? Which schools are there in the area and how are they? I know there is St Mochtas primary school, but don’t know anything about it.

These are my basic concerns: safety and schooling. Distance is not relevant (just an extra 5 minute drive).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

I noticed you did'nt mention Clonsilla Road, there are some houses for sale on this road at the moment, excellent value. All these houses have large gardens which is very useful with children. Schools are St. Francis Xavier and Scoil Brid in the village. Secondary you have Coolmine Community School.
    From Clonsilla Village you have St. Moctas and Scoi Cholm for primary and in Sept Lutterelstown Community College are moving into their new school next door to Scoil Cholm.
    Houses in Laurel Lodge and Carpenterstown will cost more but they carry a Castleknock address and this is why you pay a little more. Plenty of primary in this area ... Scoil Thomas, St Patricks are primary and Castleknock Community College for secondary. Of course you also have Castleknock College and Mount Sackville, both private.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Have you thought about Ongar, Beechfield, Little Pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

For me luttrellstown feels very built up.

If I was in your position I'd be looking at Portersgate (very nice mature estate), charnwood (good big houses), windemere, aldemere etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

unclevass wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m pretty sure many people have been in this same situation before (or are at the moment)…

We are a family of three (four very soon, all going well) that have been living in the Carpenterstown area for the past few years, always renting.

We have decided now to buy a house and stop paying somebody else's mortgage, but we think they are still kind of overpriced in the areas that we like. We are focused on Carpenterstown (including Bramley, Luttrellstown, Riverwood, Luttrell Park, Laverna, etc.), Laurel Lodge, Roselawn (including Summerfield, Springlawn, Broadway, Glenville, etc.) and Castleknock Village (though can only really afford Park Drive). Blanchardstown Village is OK too.

The problem is that the houses (we are only considering houses, minimum 3 bedroom) in these areas are a little bit on the high side for our budget...

We thought the prices would continue to drop, but in the last year I’d say they have actually gone up in what you would call “desirable” estates.

At the beginning we were not willing to consider Clonsilla (Charnwood, Limelawn, Mount Symon, Portersgate, Windermere, etc.) but the houses there are newer and much more affordable.

Example:

We were shown a house the other day in Roselawn. Asking price: region 270K

If you needed to describe graphically the meaning of the expression “in bits”, you would just insert a picture of the interior of this house.

You would need to spend a small fortune just to make it habitable…

For that sort of money you can get a relatively new 5 bedroom house in Windermere, only a mile and a half down the road (literally)…

Is the location so important as one thinks?

The purpose of this post is to gather ideas and opinions from people who have been in this situation (or similar). What did you do? Are you happy with the decision?

I would also like to get feedback from people who live in Clonsilla. Is the area safe enough? Which schools are there in the area and how are they? I know there is St Mochtas primary school, but don’t know anything about it.

These are my basic concerns: safety and schooling. Distance is not relevant (just an extra 5 minute drive).

Thanks in advance

Hiya,

We were in the same situation last year and were looking in pretty much the same areas as you. We ended up buying in Roselawn for a few reasons (bigger house, bigger garden, more facilities nearby, house was closer to the train). We had to do a bit of work to the house but was worth it compared to the price of houses around Carpenterstown. We don't have any kids so I suppose that made it easier on us.

We had looked at Clonsilla and even looked at a lovely house in Ongar. We ruled out Ongar after hearing a lot of bad stories about anti social behaviour down there and was far enough away from the train. I know people living in Clonsilla and some area's are fine and then other's depends on who your neighbours are. I know some area's have a lot of renters in them so mightn't be as settled. Houses are newer as well so smaller house and garden than some of the older houses.

Jonny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Hiya,

We were in the same situation last year and were looking in pretty much the same areas as you. We ended up buying in Roselawn for a few reasons (bigger house, bigger garden, more facilities nearby, house was closer to the train). We had to do a bit of work to the house but was worth it compared to the price of houses around Carpenterstown. We don't have any kids so I suppose that made it easier on us.

We had looked at Clonsilla and even looked at a lovely house in Ongar. We ruled out Ongar after hearing a lot of bad stories about anti social behaviour down there and was far enough away from the train. I know people living in Clonsilla and some area's are fine and then other's depends on who your neighbours are. I know some area's have a lot of renters in them so mightn't be as settled. Houses are newer as well so smaller house and garden than some of the older houses.

Jonny

Where about on Roselawn did you buy? Some of the house back onto the Canal and have huge back gardens and are south facing. I just suppose, it depends on the location. Back in the boom, the houses on the canal were going for 750k and I saw one sold there for 385k back in March. Bargain me thinks if you can afford the upfront payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 karlgibs

Hi,
    We were also in the same situation about 4 years back living in Carpenstown (renting) and looking to buy the houses there were too small for the price and as we were familiar with Clonsilla looked out this way. Porterstown houses were also too small and so we looked at Windermere which is where we ended up buying. The houses are very big especially those who have extended out the back with extended kitchen and conservatory as ours did. Attic is also quite big. To be honest we have not looked back and love it here. There is some houses down the end of the estate that are more rented than owner occupied so just keep that in mind. I know there is 3 houses for sale at the moment here. Windermere also means you are part of St Mochtas which is good for the schools etc... I think the most important thing in Semi D houses is to make sure your neighbours are ok. There can be some sound leakage so I would keep that in mind.

Let me know if you have any other questions etc about Windermere

Cheers
    Karl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Have a look into castlegrange and latchford, desirable areas, never on the market that long, houses are great quality and its really quiet up here with loads of green space
    If I was choosing from your selection I'd go for Windermere myself

Best of luck choosing

Advertisement