Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Peters Ruby Red Hack

Options
  • 19-07-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi guys, I've recently gotten into the whole homebrewing craic and I've carried out a few brews over the last few months ago. Hooked by the way... I was going to try spread my wings a bit and carry out a kit hack on the St. Peters Ruby Red.

I have 100g of East Kent Goldings with an AA 6.5%. I was thinking of making a hop tea and boiling about 20g EKG for 20 mins and adding another 10g EKG at flame out. I was then going to dry hop with about 20g of EKG after about 10 days. Also I was only going to add about half of the hop oil sachet or should I still use it all?

What do you guys think of the above? Am I over hopping it and will the end product be out of balance? I just want to add a bit freshness and hop kick to it but not sure there is enough malt in the kit to take all of the above. I also have some cascade and saaz hops if you think these would work better?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

You could do that all fine alright. The kit comes with a hop powder sachet so might be enough to skip the hop tea and just dry hop with about 50g of EKG after about 7-10 days when fermentation is about done. If dry hopping I would recommend putting the hops in a sanitised muslin bag to make bottling easier but will work loose too.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

i made the ipa and used all the hop sachet... made it pretty bitter...might be an idea to ditch it and use hop tea /dry hop with the ekg if you like ekg.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Griff77

Cheers Mayto, might just dry hop with the EKG although is 50g not a lot to dry hop with? I'll go with the whole of the supplied hop oil sachet and maybe taste it at day ten to see of it needs some more hops. Could I add a hop tea at this stage if I want I.e. do a 20 minute boil at day ten and add it to the FV?

Also has anyone brewed the ruby red and have any comments on my proposed additions?

Going to wait until this heatwave passes before I put the brew on, it's just too warm for brewing... Good tasting weather tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Griff77 wrote: »
    Cheers Mayto, might just dry hop with the EKG although is 50g not a lot to dry hop with? I'll go with the whole of the supplied hop oil sachet and maybe taste it at day ten to see of it needs some more hops. Could I add a hop tea at this stage if I want I.e. do a 20 minute boil at day ten and add it to the FV?

Also has anyone brewed the ruby red and have any comments on my proposed additions?

I find UK hops fairly subtle so 50g of EKG is not too much for me, but 25g will work fine too. Let the hop tea cool before adding to fermenter and will be fine alright.

Advertisement