Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Measles at crèche

Options
  • 19-07-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

My DS is 7 months old and attends crèche. Today they called to say there has been a confirmed case in the baby room - so I am taking him out for the next week at least as he is not vaccinated.
    What I would like to know is, should we still pay for his attendance? I know if he was out due to being sick we would have to. In this case though the crèche are not providing a service?
    What do you guys think? It's a great crèche and I don't want to fall out with them

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Are they closing it?
    Out of interest was it a non vaccinated child that got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Are they closing it?
    Out of interest was it a non vaccinated child that got it?

It's not being closed so far - they have signs up on the front door and inside alerting people of a confirmed case and what signs to look for. From speaking to my doctor is seems as if there are more reported cases it becomes a public health issue.
    The infected baby was just 12/13 months and was vaccinated

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Poor little pet.
    If they are not closing it then you are normally expected to pay.
    I have heard of quite a few cases of measles recently.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Poor little pet.
    If they are not closing it then you are normally expected to pay.
    I have heard of quite a few cases of measles recently.

I know, I hope she is ok. My main concen is that my little man is ok obviously. Been over reacting all night to every sneeze, checking his temp...I'm a first time mammy, not half obvious!!

Tis mad really that we have to pay when they are unable to provide a service. I understand they have costs and over heads but would have thought they'd have insurance for a scenario like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I don't know what the procedure is when measles break out in a creche...is it supposed to close down? But if they are open, they are providing a service. It is open and available for you to use but you're choosing not to use it (albeit for a very valid reason)

So therefore I would think you have to pay.

• Advertisement

I don't know what the procedure is when measles break out in a creche...is it supposed to close down? But if they are open, they are providing a service. It is open and available for you to use but you're choosing not to use it (albeit for a very valid reason)

So therefore I would think you have to pay.

Yeah I suppose I can see where you are coming from, thanks. Joys of childcare I suppose.
    From speaking to my doc, I get the impression that it only becomes an issue if there is more than one child infected.
    I'm surprised at that given how contagious it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

we had to pay for a full week that my child couldn't attend creche due to a suspected case of e-coli and my child had to be tested because he was in contact with the other child, so he was unable to attend creche until we had results of his stool sample returned, he was ok and so was other child but I was a bit put out that we had to pay under this circumstance, i guess when the creche is still open and staff are in they have to receive their money to cover costs. Could always understand this until the e-coli episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hoocher

Hi all...my little boy...11months...has measles. How long will I have to keep him out of creche??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

The vaccine can give measles a number of weeks afterwards (that I didn't know) but since babba was unwell we had taken them out for the week - never thought to tell the creche though - but only found out what it was once it cleared. Out for a week in all

Advertisement