Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First showing class. Help!

Options
  • 19-07-2013 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to do a ridden connemara showing class at the weekend. I'm sorted for tack etc, it's just the format of the flat work I'm worried about.

What's the usual route for the riding part? A figure of eight in trot, some canter??

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Hiya,

Congrats on your first show! The adrenaline and rush of the lead up to the show, followed by the class itself is very exciting!

I'm open to correction here as my showing days go as far as the 148 Ponies (so at least 8 years ago!), but the class would normally go like this:
    • Square Halt. Judge inspects horse
    • Walk away from Judge in a Straight Line
    • Turn around, Trot back past judge
    • Begin figure of eight, changing rein on next diagonal
    • Canter upon reaching outside track following change of rein
    • Complete figure of eight upon next available diagonal, trotting at the centre line - I believe it is not mandatory to do this but my pony would never do a flying change :p
    • Pick up canter on the new rein
    • Continue onto the long side, and ask for lengthened strides on the long side
    • Ask for trot, walk and proceed to square halt by the time you have reach the short side.

I'm not sure if there's a pre-set format that is different from the above in other showing classes, as I always did Working Hunter, so please feel free to correct me!

Either way - good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

based on doing connemara flat ridden classes at IPS and at dublin:

- Halt in front of the judge
    - walk away from judge in straight line
    - Turn and trot back on a straight line
    - Trot around to the long diagonal
    - Change rein in trot across long diagonal
    - Pick up canter as you reach the corner coming off the change of rein
    - Canter across the next long diagonal with a simple change of rein through trot at X
    - Continue canter around the area and extend canter down the back of the line of ponies
    - Return to trot and back to halt and salute in front of judges before returning to your place

The basics of the show piece is to show a trot and canter on both reins as well as a extention / gallop but they usually dont like people taking too long and doing too much.

At most shows your display will be up to you. At Dublin we were asked for a specific show by the judges which was the one above, minus the walk up trot back. Luckily my trainer had taught me the same routine so I knew it and was grand.

The walk up and trot back - you do this in a class usually where they do not ask you to strip and trot up the ponies in hand.(IPS shows usually ask for it as they do not strip and trot in hand). If you will be stripping the pony and trotting up in hand at the class then you usually wont be asked for the walk up trot back as well. (e.g. at Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help. I did a showing class at the weekend and came third. I was chuffed with myself and horse. I'll definitely have another go soon.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Thats great news well done you have the showing bug now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement