Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching concerns

• 19-07-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey

I'm thinking of becoming a teacher in the future, but I'm unsure. Yeah, I know the job situation with post-primary teachers is bad and all that, but that's not why I'm unsure about it. I was in secondary school not too long ago and I know how bad some of the teenagers there can act and all that. The problem I think I would have is with controlling a class. :o I'm not sure if I'd be able to handle the name-calling daily. I saw teachers in my old secondary school who did nothing to control the class and just let other students disrupt the whole class. I know how infuriating it was for some of the other students (like me) who actually wanted to learn. I just feel that I wouldn't be able to control situations like that.

Is controlling situations with students disrupting class etc, something you learn during your year of studying to become a teacher? Or is it something that you should just know, and you're expected to know it on becoming a teacher? I might add that I am passionate to teach, but I don't want to be mocked daily by the students and feeling like I can't control the class at all.

Again, I'll say that teaching is a job that I really want to pursue. I suppose I'm quite nervous about actually having to be the person to resolve the situation in the classroom. :o

I'm not sure if this made any sense or not, but I hope it did. :P Any help, assurance or anything (:p) would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

MusicR wrote: »
    Hey

I'm thinking of becoming a teacher in the future, but I'm unsure. Yeah, I know the job situation with post-primary teachers is bad and all that, but that's not why I'm unsure about it. I was in secondary school not too long ago and I know how bad some of the teenagers there can act and all that. The problem I think I woulid have is with controlling a class. :o I'm not sure if I'd be able to handle the name-calling daily. I saw teachers in my old secondary school who did nothing to control the class and just let other students disrupt the whole class. I know how infuriating it was for some of the other students (like me) who actually wanted to learn. I just feel that I wouldn't be able to control situations like that.

Is controlling situations with students disrupting class etc, something you learn during your year of studying to become a teacher? Or is it something that you should just know, and you're expected to know it on becoming a teacher? I might add that I am passionate to teach, but I don't want to be mocked daily by the students and feeling like I can't control the class at all.

Again, I'll say that teaching is a job that I really want to pursue. I suppose I'm quite nervous about actually having to be the person to resolve the situation in the classroom. :o

I'm not sure if this made any sense or not, but I hope it did. :P Any help, assurance or anything (:p) would be appreciated!

Think of your former teachers who could control a class. They were probably well prepared, confident in their subject and had a good relationship with students.

IT doesn't happen by accident, you can't learn it in college, but you can learn it and learn what works for you.

I think it has to be important to you that your class is orderly and productive, if it's not important to you you won't try to fix it and that, in my opinion, is at the root of many problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Being prepared and confident is half the battle as the other poster said. It definately is not something you learn in college, however you do learn some strategies to help deal with things.

I think personally that the way to learn this is to get involved in coaching teams, youth clubs etc. now and over time you will pick up the tricks from other people and get expereince of dealing with groups and controlling them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Both previous posters hit the nail on the head. Preparedness is key, if they are busy and engaged they are not bothering you.

I think the other key aspect is confidence. On our first day we were all nervous, bit do not show it. Enter the room like you are the boss and you don't expect any less than their full attention and cooperation and it will be self fulfilling. I wish you all the best of luck with it as it can be a great career if you are suited to it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I think age can make a difference too.At 18-21 I couldn't have imagined being able to teach a class, didn't have the confidence. At 25 I went back to do the Dip and felt much happier about it. Maybe it's not age, I'm sure you could do stuff to improve your confidence regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

As the others said, never show fear because that's when all hell breaks loose. Go into class confidently and if you've ever read Frank McCourt (Teacher Man), he says that he always stood up and moved away from his desk when meeting new classes / new school because he said something like 'he was cowering behind the desk like a little child' (this is probably not the correct quote but it was something like it - I read it a few years ago - you get the jist). I've found even if its only a sub class that you should always make them do something - reading aloud is great - pick students at random to read - it really keeps them on their toes. Advice from the teaching staff is also good - you'll know what you're dealing with before you go in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MusicR

Thank you all, great replies!

It puts me at ease a little reading all the posts. :)

There were some teachers in my old school who students would just not mess with at all and wouldn't mess in the class, while there were other teachers who students gave an awful time! I'm trying to figure out why students acted differently to some teachers, and I'm also thinking it's to do with the confidence of the teacher, etc.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

- reading aloud is great - pick students at random to read - it really keeps them on their toes.

Best not to do this, unless you know the students very well, This can be a terrible experience for the student for a lot of different reasons and does nothing for anybody's learning in the class.
    The rest of the advice is great though.

My tip is to write everything down -so at a parent-teacher meeting you can say "xxx disrupted the class 17 times this month" and show them the dates. The parent will take it a lot more seriously than "his behaviour is bad"
    good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Best not to do this, unless you know the students very well, This can be a terrible experience for the student for a lot of different reasons and does nothing for anybody's learning in the class.
    The rest of the advice is great though.

Yes I meant to say this - it happened to me once years ago when I was training. I had a sub class and no work left by absent teacher so I assigned work but the noise level remained in classroom and this fella started giving me smart remarks and instead of giving out - I said we would read the chapter and he would start. I was mortified because it was the student next to him that was reading very low so that he could read it. Now I have to say you could hear a pin drop in the classroom and never really had a problem with that class again and the student involved greeted me with respect whenever I met him in the corridor. I was mortified at the end if class but it had good results. When I get students to read in future, I always pick someone I would consider to be a good / strong student and leave the student I would think / have been told about until the end. I always go for inclusion rather than exclusion. And if there is someone who is weak at their reading - it is amazing how the others react and show respect to their classmate. It can also be a confidence bulider for the student. This has worked for me but may not for someone else and it also depends on the type of students you have (which can be gauged on entry into classroom) - if I know it's a tough class - we'll start reading and then move onto homework etc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I agree with what has been said here in general. You will gain confidence and pick up tips and tricks. If you are passionate about teaching then you should go for it. Preparation and confidence are key.

But they don't guarantee no hassle. I know experienced, successful, excellent teachers who are struggling in the face of the abuse to which they are subjected on a daily basis. Teachers have to work within the policies of the school and sometimes those policies are lacking. It's a fallacy to think that a teacher can prevent or solve all problems them self. Support and escalation from management is supposed to be available, but sometimes it isn't.

Management's hands can also be tied by legislation that seems to protect the individual at the expense of the majority.

Advertisement