Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eaten all the strawberries, what now?

• 19-07-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

I have 8 hanging baskets of strawberries which have all been plundered of their fruit nom nom. I'm just wondering what is the best way to treat the strawberry plants once they have produced all their fruit?

At he moment they are growing very wildly and are hanging down from the baskets. Should I just leave them alone and let them grow or cut them back?

Thank you for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Strawberry plants fruit heaviest in their 3rd year.

Put the baskets down and put down small pots (youghurt pots with holes in the base are fine) and push the leafing nodes of the runners into them, once they've rooted cut the runner and move them in with your pots (you do have a selection of pots you look after?) then keep the hanging basket fed and watered until next year (top up the compost when they die back over the winter).

In a couple of years, when the plants in the baskets are getting a bit stragley, refresh with two year old plants (which you've potted on).

Alternatively buy new baskets next yerar ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

perfect :)

Advertisement