Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem VS Router

Options
  • 19-07-2013 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

I was just wondering if ye sell routers because i 100% am sure i have a modem ( it has a dsl, 4 ethernet ports, reset button and on/off switch) basically theres a wire which is connected on my dsl to my phone line and the power cable.

I want to buy an external router instead from eircom.

I also contacted customer support but she said they're both the same... which i don't believe.

So i just want to know if eircom supports routers so i can buy one off ebay and have the basic functions like wifi support and support wpa2-psk security. Also support tablets,phones,ipods etc which support wifi.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

All modems supplied over the last 6 years have been modem/routers. the one you have is a modem/router, but you can also go and purchase a router and connect it to the modem/router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭DominicKid

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Yeah thats a modem/router, netopia 2247, the best modem eircom supplied.

My on/off switch seems to be broken so i have to leave the modem on for 24/7.
    One of the golden antennas is also about to come off.

I'm also confused of what type of router i should buy on ebay because there is soo many types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

DominicKid wrote: »
    My on/off switch seems to be broken so i have to leave the modem on for 24/7.
    One of the golden antennas is also about to come off.

I'm also confused of what type of router i should buy on ebay because there is soo many types.

Hi DominicKid

If the re-set button id broken, a hard modem re-set is an option - http://bit.ly/H6Ligv

However any change in settings will be lost & need to be re-configured.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Mark... it would probably have been a good idea to tell OP that if he called support that they would send him a shiny new router, FOC.

DominicKid... I would try this as a first course of action. If you get a third party router, and have any issues, you'll be stonewalled at every turn.

I will be moving to sky anyway but i will stay if eircom offers a free router and a discount as I'm paying €115 for broadband + phone for two months. Broadband - Unlimited usage and downloads but speed is very poor. Phone - Everything fine.

Eircom Broadband speed test results:
    Download speed: 2.70 out of 3.00 as indicated in my bill
    Upload speed: 0.29 
    Ping: 53ms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

FYI, if you move to Sky, you will be running over the same copper... your situation is unlikely to change from what you have. It might get fractionally cheaper, but I suspect your data rate will not change, as it is a function of your distance from the exchange, which will be the same for any DSL provider.

gerryk wrote: »
    FYI, if you move to Sky, you will be running over the same copper... your situation is unlikely to change from what you have. It might get fractionally cheaper, but I suspect your data rate will not change, as it is a function of your distance from the exchange, which will be the same for any DSL provider.
    Sound for that yea i suppose it will, but the amazing €45 bundle of broadband, sky tv and phone is brilliant and i will be adding an extra €10 for unlimited broadband so that brings me €55 for first 6 months and then €67 thereafter.

Advertisement