Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dalkey Island

Options
  • 19-07-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if it's possible to get a boat out to Dalkey Island for a few hours tomorrow? I read that there's a ferry from Coliemore Harbour, but then read a conflicting article saying it had stopped! Hoping to head out there tomorrow, so thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

The boat hire places won't let you take the boat to Dalkey Island, as a lot of people don't understand the tides and currents that are around the Island. ( I'm not saying you don't, but it can be quite dangerous if you don't ). The amount of people who get stranded by a rapidly falling tide or who don't propely tie off their boat is very high.

If you do rent a boat make sure you wear a lifejacket, and that everyone else does. It's required by law on all boats under 21ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think your missed understood the post. He's looking for a ferry service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Nope, I know that the OP was looking for a ferrying service, but due to the lack of a readily available crossing, they might have considered renting a boat, of which there are a multitude of places to do so.

Boat hire around DL, Bullock and Colimore will always pick up when the weather is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Thanks for the replies :) Yea, we didn't see any boat running, but we had a lovely day looking at the island instead! My boyfriend sails, so understands how the currents can be around there and we were talking about how dangerous it can be. Unfortunately the only boat he owns is a one man ;) Beautiful spot though - would be great to see a ferry service up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

• Advertisement
Advertisement