Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee shop advice

Options
  • 19-07-2013 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I have a coffee shop. I opened it 8 years ago and I pretty much copied the o'briens model as there was nothing like it in the area. Since then about 3 similar places have opened. Also I have added a few products to my menu, I have 17 varieties of bread now!! Which is bananas.
    It now needs a new fit out and I'm thinking of going more gourmet and having a smaller variety at a higher cost.
    Just wondering to you have any thoughts! I want to be that little gem of the area. I'm pretty much in the cafe quarter so I need to stick out. I've started making a few little bits now to test the water, before I do the big relaunch!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

iamafoodie wrote: »
    going more gourmet and having a smaller variety at a higher cost.Just wondering to you have any thoughts! I want to be that little gem of the area. I'm pretty much in the cafe quarter so I need to stick out. I've started making a few little bits now to test the water, before I do the big relaunch!

I am a firm believer in proper positioning for a firm. Your idea for a more gourmet positioning is great but you want to do this at a higher cost in a recession...ouch!

My formula would be:

higher scale positioning + a meal deal type offering

Cut back the menu offering now, it will kill your business. Have a smaller choice but higher quality.

As an aside, I notice you only mention other cafes as your competition. What about the local pub?...Most pubs seem to be finally getting the food offering right at a much lower cost than cafes. Always be aware of these competitive blindspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

where you based?

Dublin or outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

The slow food model still has appeal, organic/ locally produced foods will always attract business.

This place ( http://www.countrychoice.ie/index.php ) is still going strong and in a town this size there are far too many coffee shop type outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

The slow food model still has appeal, organic/ locally produced foods will always attract business.

This place ( http://www.countrychoice.ie/index.php ) is still going strong and in a town this size there are far too many coffee shop type outlets.

I know that shop very well as I work near the town and have a coffee in Nenagh every day. Tbh, I rarely go for a coffee there. The food is lovely to buy & the range is excellent (you will pay for it though) & the staff are helpful. I don't find the ambiance of the coffee section good-it's usually very quiet as I go in the morning. In contrast, some of its competitors are really superb, without getting the same publicity. The coffee in cafe q is divine (people find 3 euro for a latte on the dear side but to me it's worth it) They have a good menu too. The Pantry is really popular in town. That used to be a small coffee shop but expanded to a bigger premises-has a good reputation too. I don't go there that often. Cinnamon Alley is lovely too. Think a visit to Nenagh would give you a good idea!
    All the best.
    P.S I have no connections to any of the coffee shops above so this is an unbiased opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Totally agree, i love walking into a cafe with a list of their local suppliers on a board,its very appealing to know the care about what's on the plate in front of you.

• Advertisement

honeybear wrote: »
    I know that shop very well as I work near the town and have a coffee in Nenagh every day. Tbh, I rarely go for a coffee there. The food is lovely to buy & the range is excellent (you will pay for it though) & the staff are helpful. I don't find the ambiance of the coffee section good-it's usually very quiet as I go in the morning. In contrast, some of its competitors are really superb, without getting the same publicity. The coffee in cafe q is divine (people find 3 euro for a latte on the dear side but to me it's worth it) They have a good menu too. The Pantry is really popular in town. That used to be a small coffee shop but expanded to a bigger premises-has a good reputation too. I don't go there that often. Cinnamon Alley is lovely too. Think a visit to Nenagh would give you a good idea!
    All the best.
    P.S I have no connections to any of the coffee shops above so this is an unbiased opinion.

The OP stated that he had copied O'Briens model when he opened.

I was just trying to point him in the direction of something that was done differently, and has lasted a long time.

The publicity side of things is down to each individual business, and what you as an owner think you need to do to bring in the customer you want.

The three places you mentioned above are excellent businesses and their owners put a lot of hard work into making sure that their customers are always well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

I am based in Limerick. I'm thinking of doing a few local markets and test what people might like. I was going to start with gourmet salads then move to crepes etc etc...

If you have a coffee shop for the last eight years, why are you testing your product in local markets?

I am based in Limerick. I'm thinking of doing a few local markets and test what people might like. I was going to start with gourmet salads then move to crepes etc etc...

There are several offerings of that nature already in the Limerick Foodmarket, why are you trying to re invent the wheel.

You have a premises you should have a loyal customer base after 8 years, why not ask your customers to test some of your new ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP have you asked your customers what they like to see changed or improved? There is no point spending a lot of money on refitting and changing the product line up if sales are not going to increase and its already cost you a lot. I think insomnia in Dublin has a good business model with constant meal deals such as coffee and muffin for €3,75 or Coffee and sandwich for €5. Instead of buying just a coffee you have just brought more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I have no idea of what I am talking about and just clicked on this randomly but I will say this...

If I were a customer of your's and you asked me to give you some ideas and/or test a few bits out for you then I will definitely come back to see how it all went. When people participate they generally want to come back and see how things work out and if you make sure they work out well then you're sorted!

• Advertisement
Advertisement