Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data protection

Options
  • 19-07-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Ill make this short and sweet looking for advise on the below please,

I have contract with mobile provider. I had a person try ring me on numerous occasions and the phone wouldn't dial for them. They rang customer care team to question why this was happening they were told that my number was barred and that they would need to talk to me. Later I receive contact from caller asking me had I payed my bills as the phone was barred. Obviously I was highly embarrassed about this and passed it off as an error. It later transpired that the caller had incorrect number saved in phone which was no a mobile number at all hence the no ring tone. I rang customer care to question as to phone was barred and they admitted that this was done incorrectly I also told them that this was told to me by a third party. I was asked to log an official complaint on which I have and I am awaiting a response.

Has anybody any advise or have they been in the same position??

Look forward to your comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Are you sure they simply didn't say "..or it may be barred" in giving general reasons as to why the person may be having issues. Seem very unlikely they would be talking specifically about your account to this person but there is not really enough information for people to make a call on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

How could they provide him with personal information about your account if your friend does not have your correct number?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Slaney16

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Are you sure they simply didn't say "..or it may be barred" in giving general reasons as to why the person may be having issues. Seem very unlikely they would be talking specifically about your account to this person but there is not really enough information for people to make a call on here.

They said the number you are trying to ring is barred and to contact the acoustic holder. To me that's a giving outmu information. As I said my acc was incorrectly barred so who else would they be talking about.

How could they provide him with personal information about your account if your friend does not have your correct number?

The person had my number and asked why they couldn't ring it! It later transpired they enter 2 digits wrong way round when saving in phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Slaney16 wrote: »
    They said the number you are trying to ring is barred and to contact the acoustic holder. To me that's a giving outmu information. As I said my acc was incorrectly barred so who else would they be talking about.

But it was not your information, it sounds like a prerecrded announcement, in any case it was relating to a different number. So I can not see how any information or your data was released as your friend did not have your number.

• Advertisement

infosys wrote: »
    But it was not your information, it sounds like a prerecrded announcement, in any case it was relating to a different number. So I can not see how any information or your data was released as your friend did not have your number.

Ok I think you are lost. They new the correct number but stored it incorrectly on their phone. The number they put in phone was not a valid number as they got the prefix wrong way. When they spoke to customer care they called out correct number.

So what knowledge have you got on this? Has your data protection been breached?? Give me some constructive taughts on the matter not trying to find faults. Just to clarify the provider have admitted they were at fault just trying to find out what way to proceed incase any unforeseen obstacles are put in my way and mistakes are made on my behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Ok I think you are lost. They new the correct number but stored it incorrectly on their phone. The number they put in phone was not a valid number as they got the prefix wrong way. When they spoke to customer care they called out correct number.

So what knowledge have you got on this? Has your data protection been breached?? Give me some constructive taughts on the matter not trying to find faults. Just to clarify the provider have admitted they were at fault just trying to find out what way to proceed incase any unforeseen obstacles are put in my way and mistakes are made on my behalf.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post, contact the data protection commissioner, on the face of it you describe a data breach. http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=4

At a push there may be a defamation issue, seek the advice of a solicitor in that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Ok I think you are lost.

I am a bit lost.

He calls the customer service of your phone company and asks why your number does not work. The customer service agent said you cant call this number as it is barred (i presume you mean disconnected?). Did they divulge your name during this conversation?

If your number is working then i can only see the fact that he gave the customer service the incorrect number that was stored in his phone, prompting the agent to advise that this is not a valid number??

Unless they categorically advised your name and said they you have been disconnected for not paying your bills, im not sure where any data protection breech took place?

Advertisement